PDA

View Full Version : Slow Internet

Thebananamonkey
02-09-2010, 09:38 PM
Hi All,

We moved from Telstra to Xnet about 4-5 months ago to avoid excessive data charges. Great success! I bought a Linksys WAG120N and have VOIP as the main phone (sometimes can be quite static, esp. the "Vacation express" cold-calls from India, which I don't mind so much :D).

However, we've noticed that there's a HUGE variance in download rates. Was home mid morning the other day, did a speedtest and found 5Mb/s! However, anytime that you might want to go online it sits below 1Mb/s.

I've replaced the original line from the socket to the router, which helped quite a bit. I moved the router around the house a few times to see what effect different phone lines had with quite a bit more. This place is probably not more than 20 years old, but was done on the cheap (renting) so I wouldn't put too much faith in wiring.

I live about a five minute walk from the Wellington train station, where the exchange is. Still, I get latency of 69ms if I'm lucky, but usually 100-150ms. I'm a gamer and this (semi-literally) kills me...

I've tried out various modulation settings in the router but only ADSL2 seems to work. Wasn't very scientific about it though...

Is there anything I should be doing with my DNS or other router settings? Do I possibly need a new router? Anything else I should think about?

Thanks guys and gals.

gary67
03-09-2010, 06:41 AM
That seems about right for Xnet, definitely slower in the evenings and at night

Speedy Gonzales
03-09-2010, 07:02 AM
That's true. Not much you can do about that at night. Until Xnet fix it. Its been like that since mid 2007. Going to different sites isn't the prob, its downloading files.

Thebananamonkey
03-09-2010, 11:24 AM

I was hoping you wouldn't say that...

I'll send them an email just to voice my concern. Probably won't do anything, but will make me feel better.

Speedy Gonzales
03-09-2010, 11:44 AM
Wouldnt waste my time. I did that and told them their torrent plan is to blame. Since thats when it went crap (when it started). They havent / didn't do anything about it, (besides change the time for the torrent plan, so they say) since its still there 3 yrs later. They either need better servers, or NZ needs better BB (which is probably the cause, its crap as well)

Thebananamonkey
03-09-2010, 01:16 PM
I assume that Telstra goes through exactly the same cabinets though...

When I was with them they were extracting money at a frightening rate, but at least I got a consistent 2Mb/s+. The occasional 5Mb/s doesn't make up for 0.5Mb/s whenever I want to use it.

Has anyone had experience with Linksys WAG120N's before? I bought it because it was an N router/modem on special at Ascent and not on any particular advice. Wish I'd got a 54GL as most computers in the house are G anyway.

Chilling_Silence
03-09-2010, 03:11 PM
No. Don't blanket blame that on NZ broadband. That ISP is oversubscribing their limited international connection. It's purely a cost thing for that particular ISP, they should just buy more bandwidth.

The WAG120N is pretty crap. Definitely recommend the 54GL over it ;)

PPp
03-09-2010, 05:20 PM
My experience poor helpdesk, poor speed, poor phone. Geekzone have some very sorry stories about xnet.

Thebananamonkey
03-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Are there any ISPs around with similar plans?

Quite like the whole VOIP and $1/1GB all you can eat thing.

Am willing to change if I can get better speed for approximately the same price.

Don't mean to duplicate threads here, but the other one doesn't look like it's going anywhere fast.

johnfarris85
03-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Hello,

I really hate the slow internet, which makes my work pending, i want fast internet.

Thanks,
John Farris

Speedy Gonzales
03-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Only way you're going to get fast internet, is move to Korea or Sweden. Then you'll know what fast internet means / is

PPp
03-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Some corporate was more into profit than infrastructure so you get to inherit 1960s speed limits! No guesses please.

jinja_thom
03-09-2010, 11:32 PM
TBM if you live in Wellington, is Telstra Cable not available at your address?
It's far superior to ADSL and it's speed is not effected by loading, I get
4Mbs/5GB consistantly day or night, and on October 1 it's going up to
15Mbs/10GB for an extra $10 a month and that includes the GST increase that was going on anyway.

sahilcc7
04-09-2010, 12:27 PM
I get 4.38mbps down in hamilton east...

Thebananamonkey
06-09-2010, 12:55 PM
TBM if you live in Wellington, is Telstra Cable not available at your address?
It's far superior to ADSL and it's speed is not effected by loading, I get
4Mbs/5GB consistantly day or night, and on October 1 it's going up to
15Mbs/10GB for an extra $10 a month and that includes the GST increase that was going on anyway.

We regularly use 60GB a month... the most we've had to pay has been about $120.

With their current pricing, Telstra isn't an option.