PDA

View Full Version : Fingerprint reader

Oose
02-09-2010, 10:18 PM
I had a laptop stolen recently and it had a fingerprint reader on which I had loaded in a whole lot of websites for auto login. Should I be concerned about someone being able to hack into it and get the login's relatively easily?

On a side note, I think I have read about software you can get for smartphones so you can remotely wipe the device if it is stolen. Can you get this for laptops out of interest?

Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
02-09-2010, 10:24 PM
There maybe software for laptops, but it would have been better if it had been installed before it was stolen not after

wainuitech
02-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Finger print readers are a bit of a dud really.

Theres been several times I have had to bring laptops back to the workshop that had fingerprint log ins, now I'm not going to cut off someones finger so I can use the reader :devil. they are easy enough to bypass.

What would be a good idea, is go back to the web sites you have an auto log in and change the password, that way the old one if tried wont work.

As for wiping the drive remotely -- Possible I suppose, but as speedy mentioned, bit late now its been stolen.

Edited: might Try this as per the video (http://www.bauer-power.net/2010/02/episode-18-how-to-wipe-hard-drive.html) in the weekend :D