PDA

View Full Version : Tosser

prefect
02-09-2010, 04:34 PM
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10670608

How dare a person born in england tell us New Zealanders we should change to a republic. Especially this commie/labor creep.
I would love to get this clown deported back to his home.

Snorkbox
02-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Fotunately Prefect, it is not over to him as to whether NZ becomes a Republic or not.

It's not over to you either for that matter.

Probably you will get to vote on the matter in due course if you can be bothered that is.

Roscoe
02-09-2010, 05:14 PM
There are so many things that need to be changed to become a republic. We will need to change all our coins and banknotes for a start.:illogical

But what is wrong with the status quo? Being part of the Commonwealth does not cost us millions, does it?

And who would you get for el presidenty?

Might make more sense to become a state of America instead. We copy just about everything that they do. It wouldn't cost as much and we would be so better off with all of those American dollars coming our way.:rolleyes:

PaulD
02-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Might make more sense to become a state of America instead. We copy just about everything that they do. It wouldn't cost as much and we would be so better off with all of those American dollars coming our way.:rolleyes:

If you trust wikipedia the US per capita external public debt is ~US$43000, NZ is ~US$13600. So we join them and it costs each of us around US$30000 :eek:

Roscoe
02-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Sorry, Paul. My not so apparent attempt at sarcasm failed.

prefect
02-09-2010, 07:08 PM
I have nothing against the argument for republic over monarchy. I would vote personally for monarchy for the sole reason troops died in Boer ww1 and ww2, korea for the King and vietnam timor island for the Queen.
My gripe is that an englander or foreigner like Cullen is even talking about it he has no right.
Imagine if I lived in USA and started spouting on about making the US a monarchy
They would tell me to get *****
Just like we should with this clown.

Snorkbox
02-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Would you deny that Cullen is a citizen of NZ and has a right to his opinion?

You seem to be a well balanced person in so far as you have a chip on both shoulders.

Actually I'll take it a step further. You Hate Commies, Germans, Japanese, Chinese, Labour supporters and practically everyone else on this planet for some reason that currently escapes me.

Possibly you have more than two shoulders?

prefect
02-09-2010, 07:27 PM
Can a person not born in the USA become president?
So there are citizens and citizens.

Snorkbox
02-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Can a person not born in the USA become president?
So there are citizens and citizens.

I'm not born in the USA and have no intention of going there.

I was born in NZ and go by the laws of NZ.

Any naturalised person in NZ can go be Prime Minister or Governor General for that matter provided they are not excluded on other grounds.

No point in dropping in the Commie ( red ) Herring bait which means you are trolling.

PaulD
02-09-2010, 08:40 PM
I have nothing against the argument for republic over monarchy. I would vote personally for monarchy for the sole reason troops died in Boer ww1 and ww2, korea for the King and vietnam timor island for the Queen.

You bleat on about foreigners so why use dying for a foreign King or Queen as a reason to stick with the monarchy?

gary67
02-09-2010, 08:43 PM
And why marry a foreigner? Why not keep it in NZ and marry a Maori

kenj
02-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Probably the $cost of changing would well outweigh the cost of the status quo?

Ken

johcar
02-09-2010, 10:41 PM
I used to be apathetic, but now I don't care... :D

prefect
02-09-2010, 10:42 PM
Yep it would be a considerable cost, but how much would it cost to change from queens crown to kings crown when the queen pegs it?

R2x1
02-09-2010, 10:46 PM
If we had no monarch, we would be like a goldfish without a bicycle.

The butterflies are ok though.

Snorkbox
02-09-2010, 10:54 PM
Yep it would be a considerable cost, but how much would it cost to change from queens crown to kings crown when the queen pegs it?

Oh please! I was 11 years old when King George VI went and was succeeded by Elizabeth II.

The abbreviation for the Crown in NZ law is simply "R" for Rex in the case of a male monarch or "R" for Regina as at present so the "R" would remain consistent.

Unless you are talking about the Crown Jewels in which you need a severe kick.:eek:

KarameaDave
02-09-2010, 11:46 PM
What we should be doing, is exercising our right, to become a state of Australia.
Then we wouldn't need to emigrate there.
(but of course Shonkey wouldn't be PM then, merely a Guv, guv. but still a geezer)

Thebananamonkey
03-09-2010, 12:22 AM
Oh please! I was 11 years old when King George VI went and was succeeded by Elizabeth II.

The abbreviation for the Crown in NZ law is simply "R" for Rex in the case of a male monarch or "R" for Regina as at present so the "R" would remain consistent.

Unless you are talking about the Crown Jewels in which you need a severe kick.:eek:

He's talking about folding stuff here, not legislation, and he's got a point.

It DOES cost to be a member of the commonwealth, but one has to wonder what the true cost/benefit adds out to. Political ties to 1/3 of the planet, in particular India and Britain, are bound to be worth a ton.

NZers are politically wishy-washy. There isn't a party worth voting for IMO. If we were a republic it would probably be a trillion times worse. Best to have some external pressure to make sure we don't do the political equivalent of not changing out of our pajamas and washing the dishes...

Paul.Cov
03-09-2010, 08:17 AM
If we didn't have a monachs mug on our coins and banknotes, then we'd probably have a variety of NZ icons as we already do, like Hillary and Rutherford. Then the problem would be various groups arguing that person X should be on our currency, and there'd be pressures to re-mint the lot all over again... much like the bollox regarding renaming / respelling places across NZ.

I don't fancy currency with Muldoon or Lange on them. The Finn brothers really don't belong there either, nor any olympians or All Blacks.

Perhaps the opossum and gorse should be icons on our currency... more than enough link to the costs of being conected to the commonwealth.

Twelvevolts
03-09-2010, 08:19 AM
What we should be doing, is exercising our right, to become a state of Australia.
Then we wouldn't need to emigrate there.
(but of course Shonkey wouldn't be PM then, merely a Guv, guv. but still a geezer)

Mmmm - Canberra or Karamea for Capital City??

prefect
03-09-2010, 08:30 AM
The crown is different between queenie and king so every crest on every government department building, coins, notes letterhead,even badges for say army and plods would have to change. Like even the much used WINZ office where I live has the government crest with the queens crown sandblasted in the window.
I was wondering how much it would cost better hope Liz does not kick the bucket during this recession.
http://www.worldcollectorsnet.com/magazine/issue20/iss20p2.html here are diiffs.

gary67
03-09-2010, 07:46 PM
Mmmm - Canberra or Karamea for Capital City??

Karamea

KarameaDave
03-09-2010, 07:53 PM
Yep, it's ideal! :D (but then I suppose I would say that)