PDA

View Full Version : Power Adaptors

berryb
01-09-2010, 10:28 PM
I need to get a 12V .5A power adaptor. Now what I would like to know is does it matter if the adaptor is 12V 1A or greater in amps as long as it is greater than .5amps?

Same goes with a 19V 3A adaptor, could I use a 19V 4.74A adaptor.

Or am I just going to blow things up?

Yes plugs need to be the correct size but that I can get around.

Agent_24
02-09-2010, 12:16 AM
Most of the time it will be fine.

I think if you have an unregulated supply and draw too little current the voltage may be higher than normal though.

I am not too sure on the details of how that works though, someone else should be able to explain better...

forrest44
02-09-2010, 01:46 AM
I need to get a 12V .5A power adaptor. Now what I would like to know is does it matter if the adaptor is 12V 1A or greater in amps as long as it is greater than .5amps?

Same goes with a 19V 3A adaptor, could I use a 19V 4.74A adaptor.

Or am I just going to blow things up?

Yes plugs need to be the correct size but that I can get around.

Should be fine, as long as the voltage is the same, and the amp rating on the adapter is equal to or greater than what you need... What are you using it for?

Burnzee
02-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Hi berryb

The answer to both your questions are yes. Assuming the polarities are the same in each case.

For the purpose of illustration, think of the engine in a car. Say it's got a four banger currently, but it goes. Could you drop a V8 in and still expect it to go? Course yah could because the V8 provides more energy to the car.
This is a rather simplistic explaination but it does get the basic concept across.

In other words, a 12v 1Amp power adaptor will provide more energy than a 12v 0.5Amp power adaptor. The important thing to note, however, is the piece of equipment may not need this extra power.

For your purposes, this is not a consideration.

BURNZEE

berryb
03-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the replys.

I have the need for a 12v .5A adaptor for a "Learning Post" at a school. Basically charges wireless headsets that the kids can then use without cables. Also powers the transmitter.

Also have a DVR unit that the power adptor blew on - 19V 3A.

Haven't looked for replacement for either product yet but I have a 12V 2A and a 12V 5a security camera power supply in stock I could use if OK to use.

By the replys there is no problem to use either of the 12V packs for the learning post.

Cheers

Agent_24
03-09-2010, 11:00 AM
As long as the adapters didn't die because of a fault with the equipment they were powering...

berryb
03-09-2010, 11:18 AM
Nah. Adaptor for the learning post just died and the DVR one blew when first plugged in. Fault from factory. Both units have been power up with another adaptor so they are good.