PDA

View Full Version : wifi security

globe
01-09-2010, 08:56 PM
have got a laptop and it has wifi. at work i can log onto the local public wireless network (parnell) that is free.

Providing I have got windows firewall and mse turned on is that all the security i need or do i need to install / initiate other software ?

am running windows 7.

thanks

nedkelly
01-09-2010, 10:14 PM
It should be good enough, I think windows Vista and 7 block things if you are on a public connection, but not sure if you have to do it or if it is automatic

globe
01-09-2010, 10:43 PM
It should be good enough, I think windows Vista and 7 block things if you are on a public connection, but not sure if you have to do it or if it is automatic

cool thanks. as i'm completely new to Windows 7 any ideas where i might look for this setting ?

On a slightly different note, if i get a wireless router at home can both a macbook and a windows machine use the same wireless router/connection ?

nedkelly
01-09-2010, 10:50 PM
Hmm sorry I dont use 7, I think it is in Network and Sharing center.
Yes, does not matter what the devices are running for the operating system, the hardware does the same job.

Speedy Gonzales
01-09-2010, 11:01 PM
Yup thats where it is NK

nedkelly
01-09-2010, 11:06 PM
I really should learn where things have been moved to in Win7

Agent_24
02-09-2010, 12:25 AM
I would never trust a public WiFi connection, you have no idea who else is connected and what kind of attacks they might be trying.

Any sensitive data you should route through a secure tunnel to another connection (say your home internet connection) before letting it out onto the internet.

http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/wifi-security.php

02-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Hackers & crims can fairly easily fake known public wifi networks, so all your activilty goes through their systems 1st.
Just dont use it for banking etc

Agent_24
02-09-2010, 10:56 AM
Don't do anything or send any information on a public WiFi network that you don't potentially want everyone to know about.

Remember they are usually not encrypted or anything so the attacker doesn't even have to be connected to the network to dump copies of all your packets to their machine for later perusal.

nedkelly
02-09-2010, 11:08 AM
Thats why you use HTTPS proxies when at public hotspots, or use the tor firefox

utopian201
02-09-2010, 11:26 AM
with free open wifi networks, just be aware that anyone else on the network can see what you do over the network - the websites you go to, the text you put into login boxes etc.

Do you know that this free network is made for everyone to use? I know what some people do is purposely have a free wifi connection for 'clever' people to take advantage of, while they are really using it to sniff traffic and snoop.

utopian201
02-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Don't do anything or send any information on a public WiFi network that you don't potentially want everyone to know about.

Remember they are usually not encrypted or anything so the attacker doesn't even have to be connected to the network to dump copies of all your packets to their machine for later perusal.

If there is no password, it cannot be encrypted. And unless the attacker is telling the router to forward all packets to them via ethernet, the attacker also needs to be connected to the wireless network - how else will they get the data?

Agent_24
02-09-2010, 11:30 AM
If there is no password, it cannot be encrypted. And unless the attacker is telling the router to forward all packets to them via ethernet, the attacker also needs to be connected to the wireless network - how else will they get the data?

WiFi works on radio waves, provided you have the right equipment (a WiFi card) you can pick up the packets as long as you are in range, the packets are just "floating through the air"

Works just like a Radio or TV.

Of course you do need a modified driver for the card and a program designed to capture the data but those are easy to get.

utopian201
02-09-2010, 01:51 PM
WiFi works on radio waves, provided you have the right equipment (a WiFi card) you can pick up the packets as long as you are in range, the packets are just "floating through the air"

Works just like a Radio or TV.

Of course you do need a modified driver for the card and a program designed to capture the data but those are easy to get.

ah yes, never thought of it that way!

Chilling_Silence
02-09-2010, 03:24 PM
AFAIK those setups have it set so that each host cannot communicate with the other WiFi hosts.

Howeevr, as Agent_24 mentioned, anything over wireless can be "snooped" and picked up. If it's encrypted, they may have a tough time decrypting it, but it's still possible for them to pick up a copy of it either way.

That said, MITM attacks also happen online, it's not just limited to being between your device and your router, so I wouldn't sweat over it too much. As mentioned, just don't do anything like banking over it ...