PDA

View Full Version : Calling MS

gary67
01-09-2010, 07:50 PM
Went to call Microsoft, as SWMBO's HDD died so needed to reactivate XP, didn't get to speak to anyone this time. It was all done automatically, instead of option 2 now you select option 1 and it all gets done by the electronic voice, was expecting to have to explain had to change radiradi rah, but no.

All seems to be happy but still a pain having to do it :badpc:

Snorkbox
01-09-2010, 08:07 PM
What? Now you complain it's too easy?

gary67
01-09-2010, 08:15 PM
Certainly not, was just surprised I didn't need to bluff it out like you used to have to do

jareemon
01-09-2010, 08:19 PM
I had to do the same thing about 2 years ago and it was all automated, so its been like that for at least that long.

gary67
01-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Wasn't when I called them last year

wainuitech
01-09-2010, 11:08 PM
Only changing the HDD, probably not enough of a hardware change to require talking to MS direct.

Normally if there is a big change, something like a Motherboard, then the auto doesn't work ( phone activation).

Found this over the years: (or so it seems anyway)

I think it sometimes has to do with what version of XP you are using, meaning, if your COA is original, SP1 or 2 and you are installing from a SP3 CD, then it may throw a wobbly and not take the phone activation, especially if the original was installed via a earlier edition of XP.

The actual phone activation described has been going for years, but the numbers you push have changed, bit more streamlined now

Murphy's law dictates that the moment you think it will work it usually all turns pear shaped. Other times when you expect to call MS it activates fine :D

I actually had that happen the other day, did a repair install, original COA was XP (no SP's) going onto a SP3 CD ---- thing hung for ages, went to get the phone to manually activate, then bingo -- successful activation. Hmmmmm