PDA

View Full Version : Just curious........Why is it that.........

Billy T
01-09-2010, 06:34 PM
Copying folders and files from a hard disk to a memory stick by drag & drop is not a reliable process?

I have been copying files to and from USB mounted hard drives by drag & drop for years with no problems and no files lost, but I recently copied the data drive from my old computer onto an 8GB Toshiba memory stick, and I keep finding random files missing in various folders. In some cases two thirds of the files are missing, which is more than just a minor glitch.

No harm has been done as I have multiple back-ups, but it is annoying to plug in the stick and find the one file I want at that moment is missing and I have to go fetch it from elsewhere.

There has to be some logical reason for this effect. :confused:

Also, are there any good freeware synchronisation products out there that I can run to get my stick and other archives up to date and that won't overwrite versions with differing date stamps?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :help:

jareemon
01-09-2010, 08:23 PM
do you have same problem when using other sticks?

Paul.Cov
01-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Memory sticks can have a very bad 'latency' or write delay when writing data to them (it's not an issue when reading from them). If you've yanked them out without doing the 'safe to remove...' routine once the moving files dialog has disappeared, then you may in fact have terminated the transfer before it was finished. (from a 'read source' perspective it may have been finished, but from a 'flush the RAM cache and write to stick' perspective it may not have been finished)

Just a theory, not necessarily appropriate in your situation.

Billy T
01-09-2010, 11:47 PM
Memory sticks can have a very bad 'latency' or write delay when writing data to them (it's not an issue when reading from them). If you've yanked them out without doing the 'safe to remove...' routine once the moving files dialog has disappeared, then you may in fact have terminated the transfer before it was finished. (from a 'read source' perspective it may have been finished, but from a 'flush the RAM cache and write to stick' perspective it may not have been finished)

Just a theory, not necessarily appropriate in your situation.

Good thought, but no, I always wait until they are able to be removed and eject them properly. With this stick, and because I was transferring several Gigs, I put it in then left it alone during the data transfer and didn't come back till long after it was finished.

It's kinda weird really, very un-digital behaviour.

My other sticks are just 1GB so I couldn't use them for bigger transfers.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :confused:

Speedy Gonzales
02-09-2010, 12:02 AM
What did you format it in? Are any of the files bigger than 4 GB?

kahawai chaser
02-09-2010, 12:08 AM
You mention "old computer" - maybe it's a format issue - i.e. incompatibility between the pen drive and PC drives?

Erayd
02-09-2010, 12:15 AM
Did one of the files fail to copy? One of the unfortunate shortcomings of Explorer's copy method is that if one file fails, then the remainder of the transfer is aborted. As a result, your target medium only contains those files that were copied before the error.

As files aren't necessarily copied in the order you might expect, the effects of this can look somewhat random, and can cause exactly the problem you describe.

Regarding file sync products - I would normally use rsync for this, but as it's a Linux / UNIX CLI tool it may not be quite what you're after (although it will do a very good job of what you're asking for).

Speedy Gonzales
02-09-2010, 12:17 AM
Whats the brand/model ?? Some have their own programs you can backup with

Agent_24
02-09-2010, 12:17 AM
Could be an indication of a hardware fault, silent corruption causing the files to be dropped without error...

george12
02-09-2010, 01:48 AM
SyncToy by Microsoft should do what you want regarding synchronization. It has many useful options to configure and is very reliable once you figure out exactly how to make it do what you want.

02-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Copying folders and files from a hard disk to a memory stick by drag & drop is not a reliable process?
:

Exactly correct. Copy & paste/dragdrop is NOT a good backup method with multiple files.
It can just exit/stop the copy without warning (same with old xcopy)
Memory sticks arnt as reliable as some would believe- you want the backup as reliable as pos, so either alternate between a few different sticks or get 1 or 2
USB HD's (BRANDED models)
Using a USB HD then NTFS format it. Not a deal killer to use Fat32 format unless you have large size files (eg a large email PST)

Plenty of good sync/backup programs , comodo(??), syncbackse etc.

Billy T
02-09-2010, 06:11 PM
The stick holds the last file lift off my data drive before I euthanised the old box. Before I bought this Toshiba I bought an 8GB (brand forgotten) on run-out at DSE. That one died in minutes so I exchanged it for another, and that locked up the old box at random then it died too so it went back and I opted fro the Toshiba.

That appeared to take all the files in one smooth run but as I now find, left a few behind.

Format of the old data HDD was FAT 32, I didn't realise I might need to format the stick, every other one I've had came pre-formatted including a 512kb ScanDisk bought in the US when that was BIG and two 1GB Kingstons give away free by Telecom. Surely it wouldn't accept files if it needed formatting?

It didn't abort the transfer, I'm sure of that because just about everything on the disk made it over, it is just the odd one or two that are missing (that I know of :D might have to boot the old box and do a file count to see how many I'm short.)

Actually, I think I might just bypass that drama, the old girl will probably spit the dummy anyway, so I'll just take the old data drive out and put it in an external USB enclosure, then do a file count comparison.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

03-09-2010, 02:02 PM
If the PC's HD is fat32, then fat32 will be OK for the backup device.
It only really matters if you have 2G+ files (eg email psts), however NTFS is more robust
When copy & paste has any sort of issue , it will just crash out/stop the copy.
This may have been what happened

Another option is to use a 3rd party file manager, it will give a prompt on any copy issues & you will see files Win tries to hide
Also good for your file by file comparison you want to do.
http://www.ghisler.com/ Total commander Ive been using this for years

or
http://www.codesector.com/teracopy.php teracopy, a copy tool that improves on Win copy & paste. Again this will give waring on any copy issues & will que up copy & pastes.

You could buy a IDE to USB converter instead of USB HD case to get at you old data on the old HD

Billy T
03-09-2010, 10:57 PM
You could buy a IDE to USB converter instead of USB HD case to get at you old data on the old HD

Thanks, but I've already got an old DSE external USB enclosure that makes it real easy to swap over the HDD. I even used it to copy the files off my son's iRiver MP3 HDD via an adapter so that I could transfer them to his new player.

I think I'll try to make that a weekend project, it'll keep Mrs T off my back for a while.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

If your wife keeps getting on your back, you are doing it the wrong way round!:D

Agent_24
03-09-2010, 11:05 PM
If your wife keeps getting on your back, you are doing it the wrong way round!:D

:lol:

Neil McC
04-09-2010, 09:31 AM
Have been using Teracopy for a while now.Like it because of this........
"In case of copy error, TeraCopy will try several times and in the worse case just skip the file, not terminating the entire transfer"