PDA

View Full Version : Still have problems after replacing mobo caps

SP8's
01-09-2010, 02:09 PM
Hi all,

Just replaced bulging & leaking caps on a Packard Bell with Gigabyte mobo as my other thread explained.

Everything started up OK and got through to the desktop without problems. Programs started to load and "bang" reset again without warning. No error messages, just recycles to the welcome screen again.

I've put an Ubuntu disc in and its running a memtest now but I'm starting to wonder whether it may be the HD going out .... Maxtor (can't remember size). Can anyone tell me if there's as checkdisc facility on the Ubuntu disc ?

Any other suggestions as to what the problem may be would be appreciated.

No boat anchor jokes please ..... I'm too close to doing that now !

Speedy Gonzales
01-09-2010, 02:39 PM
So it reboots continuously?? What about safe mode? Whats on it?

pctek
01-09-2010, 02:41 PM
Go to Seagates website - they have diagnostic software for Maxtors.

SP8's
01-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Running XP SP3 ..... everything starts loading up OK - Epson Event manager - Internet connection - Office One Note - MSSE ..... restart

Just got into safe mode and running CHKDSK got a "Deleting corrupt attribute record (128, "") from file record segment 36396 ..... File verification completed ... now doing stage 2 of 3

Deleting index entry musetup.cab in index $130 of file 1231 .... plus wsus3setup.cab ....plus wsus3s~1.cab

And now recovering files as above ..... doing stage 3 of 3 now

Sorry guys .... I'm out of my depth on this because I'm not sure what it all means.

Speedy Gonzales
01-09-2010, 03:24 PM
sounds like its checking for disk errors

SP8's
01-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Correct Speedy .... but do you have any idea what the files mentioned are and whether they would cause the problem describes .... and what caused the problem in the first place.

SP8's
01-09-2010, 03:51 PM
Now its "Inserting an index entry with Id ???? into index $SII of file 9

Started out low numbers and now up to 4000 and still going (fast)

Speedy Gonzales
01-09-2010, 04:14 PM
May have heaps of errors. Wait for it to finish

Paul.Cov
01-09-2010, 08:47 PM
Check the PSU for bad caps as well. After all, they're just as old as the mobo caps.

Include also a scan of any caps on the graphics card and any other peripherals.

forrest44
02-09-2010, 01:42 AM
Check the PSU for bad caps as well. After all, they're just as old as the mobo caps.

Include also a scan of any caps on the graphics card and any other peripherals.

I would 2nd that. I had an old computer which was playing up, I replaced the graphics card, which appeared to be fine, and then everything was OK..

Maybe try it with another PSU?

02-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Random resets/restarts & issues powering on are classic bad cap symptoms(unfortunately)

This is the prob with replacing bad caps. Even if you replace them all you still may have issues, it may not be a fix.
Also very easy to damage the board in the process, pulling out via's,through plating etc. Perhaps Cold joints on the new caps
The caps goo leaking also can corrode the board , you may never get a
good connection with the new cap. May even be that some old solder joints have gone bad.

I would definitly NOT recommend try to repair a PSU.
Try another PSU , differnet RAM, remove all front panel connectors & power on with a screwdriver or paper clip across the 'poweron' connector.

Realisticly, better off replacing the m/b, unless you are doing it just for fun or a challenge/learning experience.