PDA

View Full Version : Graphics card input question

DeSade
01-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Does anyone know of any PC graphics board that has a full HDMI port rather than the Mini HDMI port?

My new AW2310 monitors arrived and they have full HDMI cables with them, How do I plug those into the Mini HDMI from my Geforce GTX 480's?

Speedy Gonzales
01-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Quite a few do. These 2 do. But they're ATI. You probably should have checked this, before you brought the cards

DeSade
01-09-2010, 11:23 AM
I won't touch ATI again the cards weren't really a option to change.

Is there a adapter or something I can get?

Speedy Gonzales
01-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Check in Google. Looks like DSE have 1. But its $50.00. Looks like this place sells them. They're in Grey Lynn in Auckland. But you can only order online

http://www.rapalloav.co.nz/category/27/33/hdmi---dvi/mini-hdmi-cable/

DeSade
01-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Its sorted not but thanks Speedy.
Ordered a couple on Urgent through IT should arrive this afternoon.

Speedy Gonzales
01-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Sweet

DeSade
01-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Just a update for anyone else.
The nVidia cards come with the cables but they are a little short for some. (me included)

Cellux
01-09-2010, 12:03 PM
My GTX 480 came with a Mini-HDMI to HDMI cable.

Gigabyte though.

Edit: I should refresh pages before posting.

SolMiester
01-09-2010, 12:34 PM
I won't touch ATI again the cards weren't really a option to change.

Is there a adapter or something I can get?

LOL, me neither....they are still unable to produce consistent drivers, which is a shame really because the hardware is very good!

Speedy Gonzales
01-09-2010, 12:42 PM
I could say the same for Nvidia drivers. Thats the reason I decided to install ATI instead of Nvidia cards (the drivers were buggy as). Altho, a Nvidia card would (probably) fix the stuttering / lag when I use the tuner on this. But this may also be a Win7 issue, since it doesn't happen in Vista

SolMiester
01-09-2010, 01:14 PM
I could say the same for Nvidia drivers. Thats the reason I decided to install ATI instead of Nvidia cards (the drivers were buggy as). Altho, a Nvidia card would (probably) fix the stuttering / lag when I use the tuner on this. But this may also be a Win7 issue, since it doesn't happen in Vista

Speedy, I doubt that very much. nVidia was the 1st with DX10 and the Vista O/S right on launch day and it is to be expected there were some driver issues. I seem to recall you are not much of a gamer and therefore dont have to update your drivers very often which is where ATi fall down. CF has been sh*te since 10.4 FCS and only fixed at 10.8a (yes, they had to bring out yet another release right after the monthly release to fix it), there is also the black screen issue and issues with HDMI interfaces, and still after years and years, poor linux support, why, because they are partner orientated, not customer like NV
As I said, Cypress is a great bit of hardware but reality is AMD's software team is so far behind NV, its not funny!

Agent_24
01-09-2010, 01:18 PM
My next card will definitely be another GeForce, and hopefully there will be some other alternative to ATi in the motherboard chipset department too.

I doubt it, but I can hope... I still love my nForce 4!

Speedy Gonzales
01-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Well games or DX 10 have nothing to do with it. I was talking about their drivers, not DX or games.

I may not have any games now, that doesn't mean I wont get any later. I may not have to update the drivers, BUT I do.

I've never had any HDMI issues, or black screen for that matter

SolMiester
01-09-2010, 01:31 PM
Well games or DX 10 have nothing to do with it. I was talking about their drivers, not DX or games.

I may not have any games now, that doesn't mean I wont get any later. I may not have to update the drivers, BUT I do.

I've never had any HDMI issues, or black screen for that matter
Speedy!, DX and games are the issue big boy!, and just because you don't have issues (helps when you dont play games), doesnt mean everything's good in the world okay.Do you think Im making this up?

Thebananamonkey
01-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Speedy!, DX and games are the issue big boy!, and just because you don't have issues (helps when you dont play games), doesnt mean everything's good in the world okay.Do you think Im making this up?

Stop.

Breathe.

This better not turn into one of those ATi (now rebranded AMD) vs. Nvidia threads. We've all heard the arguments/counter-arguments and we all know where each of us stand. There's no point starting over.

DeSade
01-09-2010, 02:30 PM
Stop.

Breathe.

This better not turn into one of those ATi (now rebranded AMD) vs. Nvidia threads. We've all heard the arguments/counter-arguments and we all know where each of us stand. There's no point starting over.

+1

SolMiester
01-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Stop.

Breathe.

Shove off and mind your own business BM, you are not the board moderator. I was not talking about which GPU is better, I was simply stating known issue with ATi drivers...

DeSade
01-09-2010, 03:47 PM
C'mon guys your all friends here, its not worth getting into is it.

SolMiester
01-09-2010, 03:51 PM
C'mon guys your all friends here, its not worth getting into is it.

I'm all good, however I don't need condescending remarks from people not even involved in the thread. Ive been in this business far too long for that!

Thebananamonkey
01-09-2010, 04:08 PM
I'm all good, however I don't need condescending remarks from people not even involved in the thread. Ive been in this business far too long for that!

Sorry if I caused offence. None was meant.

To be fair though, it really did look like the beginning of a flamewar. We've seen so many here in the last few months and they've all been pointless. You don't need to be a moderator to see that.

Glad we're agreed that it won't go that way.

As you were...

gary67
01-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Just installed an Asus 5450 fanless in my computer tonight and it has a standard hdmi and a DVI port and so far it's running well, just waiting for a DVI cable to arrive tomorrow then I can see what the difference is if any

SolMiester
01-09-2010, 10:55 PM
Just installed an Asus 5450 fanless in my computer tonight and it has a standard hdmi and a DVI port and so far it's running well, just waiting for a DVI cable to arrive tomorrow then I can see what the difference is if any

Are you using the HDMI port to connect to a TV, let us know what happens when you come out of standby!..lol

gary67
02-09-2010, 07:45 AM
Unfortunately not, I will be using DVI hopefully by tonight on my monitor if the cable arrives today. I don't have a TV with HDMI my old CRT TV is too old and since we only turn TV on about twice a week can't justify replacing it to SWMBO. I watch most stuff on demand on this desktop

Trev
02-09-2010, 09:31 AM
I have been using Nvidia based cards for over 10 years without any problems with drivers.
:)