PDA

View Full Version : Contacts to live mail

Cicero
31-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Tried most things,but can't get my contacts saved from Vista to go into live mail.

Thanks lads.

SoniKalien
31-08-2010, 07:50 PM
Which mail program in vista? Generally you would File>Export as Windows Address Book (*.wab) then in Live mail, open contacts then File>Import (you may have to press alt to get the menu to show) if you haven't already done so

Cicero
01-09-2010, 07:06 AM
Which mail program in vista? Generally you would File>Export as Windows Address Book (*.wab) then in Live mail, open contacts then File>Import (you may have to press alt to get the menu to show) if you haven't already done so

Window mail ex Vista.

Tried importing but it is not working.

wratterus
01-09-2010, 08:55 AM
I've done this heaps of times with no issues - it should work fine.

There are two ways of doing it, but this one should work fine.

What I normally do is simply cope the contents of the old contacts folder into the new contacts folder, then in Live Mail, click on contacts down the bottom left, the click file and import. Select import address book for current windows user, and it should pick up all the vcard files from the contacts folder.

Cicero
01-09-2010, 01:32 PM
I've done this heaps of times with no issues - it should work fine.

There are two ways of doing it, but this one should work fine.

What I normally do is simply cope the contents of the old contacts folder into the new contacts folder, then in Live Mail, click on contacts down the bottom left, the click file and import. Select import address book for current windows user, and it should pick up all the vcard files from the contacts folder.

I have done that,apart from vcards,will look into that.

I can't find send and receive either,is it there?

SoniKalien
01-09-2010, 01:50 PM
I can't find send and receive either,is it there?

It's now called 'Sync' :illogical

Cicero
01-09-2010, 01:56 PM

Are you saying sync = send and receive?

Safari
01-09-2010, 02:38 PM
Are you saying sync = send and receive?

Yes, that's right.

And if you haven't got your menu bar displayed click on the one 2 or 3 to the right of sync and select menu bar

Cicero
01-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Yes, that's right.

And if you haven't got your menu bar displayed click on the one 2 or 3 to the right of sync and select menu bar

Sync wasn't there,but found via customise tool bar.

If you click on sync,I don't get box saying that no mail or 2 of 14 0n way?

wainuitech
01-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Going from memory, the mail doesn't show the amount of mail thats coming through.

Cicero
01-09-2010, 03:37 PM
Going from memory, the mail doesn't show the amount of mail thats coming through.

Do you mean with Win 7 & sync?

wainuitech
01-09-2010, 03:50 PM
Windows Live Mail - doesn't matter if its on XP, Vista or W7- the sync is now what used to be send and receive.

If you have any mail coming in, look down the bottom right hand corner of the mail window Highlighted here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Mail.PNG) - when mail is coming in, if you double click that area, a windows pops up showing the downloads, But I cant remember if it tells you how many.

Greven
01-09-2010, 07:04 PM

In the new beta version they changed it back to send/recieve just when people were getting used to sync :lol:

Cicero
01-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Thanks lads,I shall continue on my voyage of dicovery.

wainuitech
01-09-2010, 09:27 PM
In the new beta version they changed it back to send/recieve just when people were getting used to sync :lol: Bloody typical :lol:

Cicero
02-09-2010, 07:35 AM
Bloody typical :lol:

I think windows is great,apart from changing things for change sake,I mean what was wrong with outlook express?

wratterus
02-09-2010, 08:38 AM
I think windows is great,apart from changing things for change sake,I mean what was wrong with outlook express?

Lots of stuff. ;) Mainly it's incapability to handle large volumes of stored mail happily. IMO live mail isn't much better though.

Cicero
02-09-2010, 08:57 AM
Lots of stuff. ;) Mainly it's incapability to handle large volumes of stored mail happily. IMO live mail isn't much better though.

I delete mail as soon as poss,who wants all that crap laying around.?

Snorkbox
02-09-2010, 09:04 AM
I just had a look and I have 2247 saved emails. A lot are Tech emails and having them here saves time as I can just search for the answer in my mail box.

wratterus
02-09-2010, 09:06 AM
My Outlook PST file was over 5gb last time I checked, some of us need to be able to to back to older emails. :punk

Cicero
02-09-2010, 09:28 AM
My Outlook PST file was over 5gb last time I checked, some of us need to be able to to back to older emails. :punk

Gmail lets you store endlessly,so why don't M/S do the same.?

Safari
02-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Gmail lets you store endlessly,so why don't M/S do the same.?

You are getting confused between mail stored on a web based email server and your mail client inbox storage.

Cicero
02-09-2010, 09:47 AM
You are getting confused between mail stored on a web based email server and your mail client in- box storage.

More forgetting really.

I am trying to put email address's in one at a time as I can't load the lot,now I can't copy and paste in live mail?

Snorkbox
02-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Have you tried opening Windows Live Mail, click on Contacts, File > Import and choose (WAB)?

Also I thought you had Office, as you had Publisher at one time therefore you may have used Outlook in which case your contacts will be stored in a PST file which you can also Import into Live Mail using the same method only you choose PST rather than WAB.

Are you dual booting Vista and Win7 or what?

Cicero
02-09-2010, 11:14 AM
Have you tried opening Windows Live Mail, click on Contacts, File > Import and choose (WAB)?

Also I thought you had Office, as you had Publisher at one time therefore you may have used Outlook in which case your contacts will be stored in a PST file which you can also Import into Live Mail using the same method only you choose PST rather than WAB.

Are you dual booting Vista and Win7 or what?

When choosing contacts and import,I can't get it to import a folder from previous vista wab.I have folder on desktop,so as to make it easy for Mr Win.

I do have dual boot,got wab into Vista.

Never used Outlook,horrible I thought.

Snorkbox
02-09-2010, 11:59 AM
You need to open Vista and copy the WAB to somwhere that is accessible by Win7. Presumably Win7 can't see the Desktop of Vista or something like that.

If you have a USB stick copy the WAB file to that from Vista. Then boot up Win7 and point WinLive to the USB stick to import.

Cicero
02-09-2010, 01:35 PM
You need to open Vista and copy the WAB to somwhere that is accessible by Win7. Presumably Win7 can't see the Desktop of Vista or something like that.

If you have a USB stick copy the WAB file to that from Vista. Then boot up Win7 and point WinLive to the USB stick to import.

Tried that,didn't work.

Contacts-file-import-windows WAB-Doc Library-contacts in Library,reqires file name,my WAB is folder and there I am at a loss.

Snorkbox
02-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Well I am at a loss too. Presumably you still have Vista and Outlook Express installed and dual boot Vista and Win 7.

If so then boot Vista, open Outlook Express, File, Export Contacts and Export to a USB stick.

Then boot into Win7 and attempt once again. I don't think the WAB should be a folder so that would indicate something wrong with the original export. If you still have Outlook you can open that and Import Outloook Express Emails and Contacts into there which will give you a PST which can be Imported into Win Live.

wainuitech
02-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Can you please clear up what mail programs you are actually using.

Outlook Express is not in Vista, and the contacts are not wab in Vista.

XP = outlook Express ---wab
Vista = Windows Mail --- Contacts Folder
Windows 7 = Live Mail --- Contacts Folder

What ever version using, you can export the address book ( if in XP) or Windows Mail in Vista as as a cvs file. All version will see a cvs file no problems.

heres how (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Import-export-or-change-the-format-for-contacts) to export the contacts in VISTA - but you need to boot into the actual OS, or have access to the contacts folder which is separate from the actual Windows Mail.

From memory its in the C:\users\username\Contacts -- then simply copy the folder to a removable drive or location W7 can find it then import into Live mail.

Snorkbox
02-09-2010, 05:30 PM
I'm pleased someone else has joined this party because the answers from Cicero are very confusing to say the least. I was not sure where the WAB folder came from if using Vista either.

One other thing. I think we are talking about exporting to a CSV ( Comma Separated Values ) rather than CVS so as to not confuse the matter any further for Cicero. :)

wainuitech
02-09-2010, 05:48 PM
exporting to a CSV ( Comma Separated Values ) rather than CVS so as to not confuse the matter any further for Cicero. Just one of those days getting letters mixed up :D ti happesn

Snorkbox
02-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Yep. Happens at my end too from time to time! :)

Greven
02-09-2010, 06:13 PM
I don't know why live mail doesn't use the windows contacts folder instead of creating its own live contacts folder in appdata - that makes the contacts folder in Win7 useless since windows mail is disabled.

Snorkbox
02-09-2010, 06:28 PM
I don't know why people can't use a stand alone email client like Outlook, Thunderbird or Pegasus for example all of which work happily with previous versions of Windows.

You can also have a hotmail or gmail address and forward Emails or not as you prefer.

kahawai chaser
02-09-2010, 06:29 PM
Maybe another way is to use Windows "true switch" (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows-vista/Take-your-Windows-Live-Hotmail-contacts-anywhere) (transfer site here (https://secure5.trueswitch.com/winlive/))along with outlook connector (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/microsoft-office-outlook-hotmail-connector-overview-HA010222518.aspx)...

Snorkbox
02-09-2010, 06:33 PM
Probably would work too BUT Cicero thinks Outlook is horrible he has said.

Cicero
02-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Sorry lads,tried all of the above and have to admit defeat,once again.

I always get stumped when asked for name of file,have yet to put in what was required,I put what appears to be name,but without fail it is never what is required.

Sorry abour confusion of WAB,I used as Win add book.

All the above is related to Vista and Win 7.

I will put them in one at a time,or add to contacts via reciept of mail.

Snorkbox
02-09-2010, 10:03 PM
OK. But do you not just browse to the file rather than typing in the name?

Cicero
03-09-2010, 08:20 AM
OK. But do you not just browse to the file rather than typing in the name?

Choose file to import-browse-folder in box,asking for file name,only folder in box,so no file to choose.

Greven
03-09-2010, 06:32 PM
If you are trying to import contacts from Vista, I think you are using the wrong import option.

The way to do it is copy everything from your contacts folder in vista to your contacts folder on your new computer, then in the contacts screen of Live Mail, choose Import address book for current windows user.

Cicero
04-09-2010, 07:56 AM
If you are trying to import contacts from Vista, I think you are using the wrong import option.

The way to do it is copy everything from your contacts folder in vista to your contacts folder on your new computer, then in the contacts screen of Live Mail, choose Import address book for current windows user.

Thanks Grev...............

Tried your way,couldn't find cotacts that I had brought from Vista to Win 7.

Went to search,clicked on wab,it found contacts,then did the contacts thing in Live mail,it found and entered into contacts,thing was,it delivered email that I had long forgotten,sometimes in triplicate.

What fun.

Snorkbox
04-09-2010, 09:36 AM
As I believe I said, the WAB File should be a File and not a Folder. :)

Cicero
04-09-2010, 09:44 AM
As I believe I said, the WAB File should be a File and not a Folder. :)

Don't think you did?;)