PDA

View Full Version : Static ticking sounds

Reginleif
31-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Hi there
Im having problums with my sound. Only sometimes, if I start up my computer and then play a game the sound starts making static ticking sounds and then about 30sec to 1min later my hole computer locks up. It was doing this with the onboard sound card and than I installed a PCI sound card but it did not do a thing.
I like to have help with this please.
Forgive my bad English.
My PC specs below.

Processor: i7 CPU 920 2.67GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
Sound Card: Creative SB X-Fi
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Motherboard: Asus P6T

Agent_24
31-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Any kind of computer lock up will often cause any sound that is playing to lock up and sound strange also.

While it might seem logical the problem is the sound card, as you found by replacing it, it is probably not.

I would suspect something to do with the Video card or CPU since you said this happens when gaming.

What PSU are you running all this on?
Have you checked the temperatures of your CPU and GPU?

Has this always happened or has the computer run fine before. If it did, what was the last thing you changed before it started doing this?

Speedy Gonzales
31-08-2010, 03:41 PM
This prob (http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20091124123238750&board_id=1&model=P6T+SE&page=1&SLanguage=en-us) sounds like yours. But a different model. It could be a known issue with the P6T series mobos.

Agent_24
31-08-2010, 04:00 PM
This prob (http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20091124123238750&board_id=1&model=P6T+SE&page=1&SLanguage=en-us) sounds like yours. But a different model. It could be a known issue with the P6T series mobos.

But he put the new sound card in because he had problems with the onboard sound before that.

If you are playing a game and the computer locks up the sound usually gets stuck in a loop or does something weird, no matter what caused the computer to lock up.

Reginleif
31-08-2010, 04:18 PM
Any kind of computer lock up will often cause any sound that is playing to lock up and sound strange also.

While it might seem logical the problem is the sound card, as you found by replacing it, it is probably not.

I would suspect something to do with the Video card or CPU since you said this happens when gaming.

What PSU are you running all this on?
Have you checked the temperatures of your CPU and GPU?

Has this always happened or has the computer run fine before. If it did, what was the last thing you changed before it started doing this?

I forgot to say that my computer is new custome built to and its about 3 mouths old. the sounds started about a mouth ago.

I have a 650W PSU running. The temperatures of the GPU are at 70-75c as Im gaming. Im not sure where to go for the CPU temperatures.

Ones the ticking starts I close my game and then I restart my PC. But ones I have restarted my PC I run my game and play it for an hour or 2 and there is no ticking.

The sound has been fine for 2 months. I was hoping to fix it with a new sound card but that did not work.

Agent_24
31-08-2010, 04:27 PM
You can check CPU temperature with a program like SpeedFan or CoreTemp.
What brand is your 650 Watt PSU?

Did you do anything a month ago when the problem started happening?

Reginleif
31-08-2010, 04:49 PM
CPU I think its at 50c as Im gaming. The brand of the PSU is Ikonik. I never play with settings unless I know what it dus. So no I dont think I did anything. but I may be wrong.

pctek
31-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Well the thing is under warranty so why not contact the place you bought it from and get them to troubleshoot it?

Reginleif
31-08-2010, 05:24 PM
Well the thing is under warranty so why not contact the place you bought it from and get them to troubleshoot it?

I dont wont to do that just yet.

wainuitech
31-08-2010, 05:38 PM
Try this, it may or may not give some clues;

Click start, type reli, in the search results, click on "View Reliability History" - When it opens ( may take a moment) there will be a graph, hopefully in the graph will be a red circle with a white X at the time it froze. Click it, below the graph will be what happened.

Some times you will see under the fault action - to the right " Show technical Details" click that as well, post back what the problems says happened.

hope its not one that says " windows stopped working" (no kidding) :rolleyes:

If no real answer in the graph, click start, type in event open Event Viewer, once open, top left, windows Logs - then look through the system & Application logs, where there is a problem, there will be an error at the time of the problem - double click to open it, look for the common ones that give the same problem - post back what it says.

The Lockups could also be a faulty Hard drive - even though its new, HDD's can and do fail at any time.