PDA

View Full Version : TCP/IP been altered by 'Ultimatesearch.com', 404s don't register

07-09-2001, 08:13 PM
Long story cut as short as pos:

instead of getting 404s, I'm now routed to Ultimatesearch.com. this happend out of the blue.

cmd line 'ping' of invalid addresses shows computer looking for address.dummy.net
eg:
>ping dhghddgg
pinging dhghddgg.dummy.net...
then valid ping response

>ping www.notarealaddess.com
pinging www.notarealaddess.com.dummy.net... and valid response

dummy.net is the same as ultimatesearch.com

winipcfg shows my host name to be SERVER.dummy.net (!)

help please!!

07-09-2001, 08:35 PM
I know that you can set the 404 error page in IE (try XSetup i think).

Have a look in your c:\windows\downloaded program files. That is where the activex stuff goes.

I think the .dummy.net, is caused by setting your domain. Have a look under the internet control pannel, connections tab, settings. There is a feild called doamin, which should be blank.

I stringly recommend getting a more secure browser. Or atleast get all the IE updates (and check regularly) and change your security settings to block all the activeX crap.

08-09-2001, 11:34 AM
notarealaddress.com,
notarealaddess.com,
server.dummy.net,
ultimatesearch.com,
intenal.net

all end up at UltimateSearch.com (or vice versa)

Perhaps DNS settings in Network-TCP-Properties suggest to go to server.dummy.net

Clean out any refernce to server.dummy.net and 202.84.198.61 in TCP/IP-Properties.
And double-check in registry:
HKLM\system\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP

Also check HOSTS file and LMHOSTS for any reference.

08-09-2001, 02:16 PM
Thanks, but still same issue. Its not that much of an inconvenience, im just worried about security issues...how did 'they' change my tcp/ip settings!!

Anyone know of a TCP/IP utility that shows 'every' detail of my settings and allows me to change them?

Cheers