PDA

View Full Version : RDP gurus

SolMiester
31-08-2010, 02:36 PM
Ok, so I started a thread the other day about RDP connection to a Vista Premium PC from a remote location and how we need to hack a few files from Ultimate to enable the basic function.

So now I need to work out how to redirect printer queue back to the remote site and out the connected printer.
This works of course with Windows 2003 terminal services, however I dont think it works with just a PC..
Does anyone have any ideas how we get get this working.

wratterus
31-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Could you create a vpn connection back to the original location than can be fired up if printing needs to happen?

SolMiester
31-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Could you create a vpn connection back to the original location than can be fired up if printing needs to happen?

I guess thats what it will come down to, a VPN connection.....They have a Linksys AG300 I think, have you ever created a VPN on one of those? I dont want it to be overly technical that's all...

CYaBro
31-08-2010, 04:08 PM
How does the hack work?
Are you connecting using the standard RDP client?
If so is the option to use the remote printer selected?
You will need to make sure the machine you are connecting to has the remote printer driver installed otherwise you just get an error in the event log.

wratterus
31-08-2010, 04:18 PM
I guess thats what it will come down to, a VPN connection.....They have a Linksys AG300 I think, have you ever created a VPN on one of those? I dont want it to be overly technical that's all...

Not on one of those routers, in theory it should be very straight forward once it's set up, just requires a bit of frigging around to get it set up right, it's a lot easier if the client has a static IP.

SolMiester
31-08-2010, 04:47 PM
How does the hack work?
Are you connecting using the standard RDP client?
If so is the option to use the remote printer selected?
You will need to make sure the machine you are connecting to has the remote printer driver installed otherwise you just get an error in the event log.

Hey bud, Vista Premium doesnt have the ability to RDP into it and take control only remote assistance, so there is a hack to give it Ultimate's RDP ability
here....http://www.unet.fi/fransblog/2007/08/30/enable-remote-desktop-connection-on-vista-home-premium/
However, Im quite sure RDC on a desktop does not redirect printers queues, that is server terminal services functionality, but dont mind being proven wrong!

SolMiester
31-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Not on one of those routers, in theory it should be very straight forward once it's set up, just requires a bit of frigging around to get it set up right, it's a lot easier if the client has a static IP.

Using DDNS on the router so static IP is not an issue!

wratterus
31-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Sweet well you're half way there already...this is what I would do in this situation anyway, if there is an easier way I'd be keen to hear about it! :p

Chilling_Silence
31-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Why not just use the built-in windows PPTP VPN stuff rather than mucking around with it in the router?
Just forward Port 1723 and ensure that GRE traffic is allowed to passthrough also

SolMiester
31-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Actually, I just tried RDP from the laptop 7 Ent to work desktop 7 Ent and got auto created printers for redirection?.....

SolMiester
31-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Why not just use the built-in windows PPTP VPN stuff rather than mucking around with it in the router?
Just forward Port 1723 and ensure that GRE traffic is allowed to passthrough also

Not sure what you mean?....Are you saying from laptop to desktop VPN, how do you sit that up on Vista Premium?

fred_fish
31-08-2010, 05:30 PM
No Idea about Vista Prem, but XP pro will do it.
New Network Connection Wizard - Advanced - Incoming Connection ... follow nose ...

Creates a VPN endpoint (for 1 client at a time only).