PDA

View Full Version : Media for backups - options.

timmy5953
30-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Iíve sorted out a free backup program Ė Paragon Backup & Restore - and set out to do the initial backup. Part way thru, the program tells me the space required at destination is about 40 Gb. So if I use DVD or USB flash drives, it will require a few of them to accommodate the entire backup (assuming 8Gb USB flash is max size to keep price within reason)

Is it a sensible alternative to buy a stand alone hard drive for backup? Price for say 100-Gb drive probably works out abt the same as DVDs or flash drives . But the advantage is that data is all in one place & the single unit is 2 or 3 times bigger capacity, allowing backup file size to grow.

Am i on the right track? Any issues transferring data from my laptop to a hard drive (using USB cable?)

my setup is Toshiba L500 laptop, Duo CPU @ 2.00GHz, HDD 225Gb (180Gb free space), 4Gb Ram, Windows 7 Prof.

GameJunkie
30-08-2010, 10:16 PM
get an external hard drive

wainuitech
30-08-2010, 10:33 PM
Just a bit of a warning/ Advice Just be careful with the Paragon Backup & Restore. Several people including myself have had problems with it. Sometimes it works, other times it fails, usually just when you need it.

There are better programs available to do backups that are more reliable.

One of the three that I use these days that has never failed yet is Active@ Disk Image (http://www.disk-image.net/) - not free, but it is worth it.

As GameJunkie posted -- External Drive is the way to go.

gary67
31-08-2010, 06:36 AM
Just a bit of a warning/ Advice Just be careful with the Paragon Backup & Restore. Several people including myself have had problems with it. Sometimes it works, other times it fails, usually just when you need it.

One of the three that I use these days that has never failed yet is Active@ Disk Image (http://www.disk-image.net/) - not free, but it is worth it.

As GameJunkie posted -- External Drive is the way to go.

That Active disk image is currently around $52NZ. I was one of the people that had trouble with Paragon it crashed Win7 so badly that I had to completely re install

Digby
31-08-2010, 08:03 AM
Yes hard drives make great backup units these days.

But don't forget to take one off site in case of fire or theft etc.

I've been buying those Adata drives the ones in the plastic shock proof, waterprooof case.

You never know when I may go scuba diving.

(Boy I used to hate backing up to Floppy Disk drives - they were slow and they never worked half the time.)

pctek
31-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Iíve sorted out a free backup program Ė Paragon Backup & Restore - and set out to do the initial backup.

Is it a sensible alternative to buy a stand alone hard drive for backup? .

Absolutely.

MAke an image but also regularly back up your personal stuff.
Don't MOVE it to the external drive, copy it - that way, one drive may die, but the chances of both (internal and external) dying at the same time are slim.

So you don't lose anything.
And never leave the external plugged in permanently, unplug it and put it away when not using it.

SolMiester
31-08-2010, 08:24 AM
Iíve sorted out a free backup program Ė Paragon Backup & Restore - and set out to do the initial backup. Part way thru, the program tells me the space required at destination is about 40 Gb. So if I use DVD or USB flash drives, it will require a few of them to accommodate the entire backup (assuming 8Gb USB flash is max size to keep price within reason)

Is it a sensible alternative to buy a stand alone hard drive for backup? Price for say 100-Gb drive probably works out abt the same as DVDs or flash drives . But the advantage is that data is all in one place & the single unit is 2 or 3 times bigger capacity, allowing backup file size to grow.

Am i on the right track? Any issues transferring data from my laptop to a hard drive (using USB cable?)

my setup is Toshiba L500 laptop, Duo CPU @ 2.00GHz, HDD 225Gb (180Gb free space), 4Gb Ram, Windows 7 Prof.

HDD is probably the most convenient media and affordable. Im just curious as to why you are using 3rd party backup when Windows 7 has a great image and data backup application built in?

kahawai chaser
31-08-2010, 09:35 AM
You may want to optimize your system before back up, such as defragging, cleaning with ccleaner, etc. Also to back up regularly, and to back up what's really required. For example, I now get younger family members to back up family photo's, software, installers, documents, etc, rather than just myself.

DeSade
31-08-2010, 09:44 AM
You will be lucky to find a 100gb drive these days.
However you can get a 1tb (1000gb) drive for about $100

CYaBro
31-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Absolutely.

MAke an image but also regularly back up your personal stuff.
Don't MOVE it to the external drive, copy it - that way, one drive may die, but the chances of both (internal and external) dying at the same time are slim.

So you don't lose anything.
And never leave the external plugged in permanently, unplug it and put it away when not using it.

That's the best advice if you get an external drive.
Just had a client in last week who had an external HDD and thought they were doing the right thing by saving everything to it. :horrified
They dropped the drive and now it doesn't spin up so they had to send it to a data recovery place which is gonna cost them at least $900 to get the data back!

timmy5953
01-09-2010, 11:04 PM
The collective wisdom from replies has decided me; get an external drive,usb powered, that gets an ok review.
i did start with Windows 7 backup 6 months ago when i got the new laptop. But it was real clumsy having to switch to more than one dvd/flash drive each time. when i get my external hard drive i/ll give W7 Backup another go.
many thanks to all.

Neil McC
03-09-2010, 12:20 PM
[QUOTE=wainuitech;945401]Just a bit of a warning/ Advice Just be careful with the Paragon Backup & Restore. Several people including myself have had problems with it. Sometimes it works, other times it fails, usually just when you need it.

Thanks for that wainuitech.
Have just uninstalled the latest Acronis TI and gone back to AcronisTIH 2010 b13.0.0.7046 as the 2011 version caused a black screen on first startup, then was doing something on second restart,which was hard to stop.Also not as easy to figure out as previous version, I find.Win7 64x .
Have you had any trouble with the latest?

wainuitech
03-09-2010, 01:15 PM
I used to use Acronis for doing backups of customers PC's to save data before reinstalling (most people dont back up) The last few versions, I personally have found sometimes fail - they appear to back up, go through all the motions but when recovering fall falt on their face. Failed backups are NOT good.

The Program I linked to Active@disk Image has Never failed yet, on XP, vista or Win 7 (32 or 64 bit)

Please refer back to Post #4 from Gary67 -- his experiences were similar.

For my own backups I use different programs - But i would be happy to use Active@ if if I didn't already have others in place. (and they do work - had to use them every so often).

If you want to see active @ in action, I made This rough Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJK6EcVxly4) a while back - its using the bootable CD to image back a backup to a HardDrive. The backup image is on one of my servers, its pulling it over the LAN. Doing the Back up is even easier.

Edited: since that video was made, I have discovered it doesn't matter if the firewall is on or off, still works fine.

Neil McC
04-09-2010, 08:25 AM
Thanks.Have been using both Acronis and Active@ weekly.Only thing with Active@ is I have to do a manual verify,but I can live with that! Looks like the latest Acronis is the same.Couldn't find a setting that was in older versions to select verify after imaging.
So far Acronis has worked for me but they were older versions.
You allowed to mention which other programs you use?
Thanks again.

gary67
04-09-2010, 08:29 AM
Wainui uses Windows home server which does its own backups

wainuitech
04-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Yep, Windows home server does daily backups of the complete system. The WHS has saved me a couple of times. Had a HDD fail - put in another new one, boot from the WHS CD, 30-45 minutes later every thing is back up and running as if nothing had happened, just one Awhhhhh Bugger (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Burning_Hard_Drive.jpg) :badpc:
Plus I also have Fbackup (http://www.fbackup.com/) doing daily backups of the important items that always change daily Example (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Backup4.jpg) to two different servers in the workshop. (the program is free) The office one contains several folders, and files, the others no need to explain.
One thing I like about the Fbackup, is it saves them to a zipped file so any PC can open them if needed. Some backup programs require you to have the actual program installed to access the files.

They do the backups automatically every night I dont need to touch anything.

While they are going to a server, they could just as easily be set to go to a USB external drive.

One other thing that is a MUST ---any backups must work, no point if you need them and they have failed, thats why they should be checked every so often - better to find out before they are needed than :crying afterwards.

Neil McC
04-09-2010, 09:55 AM
Plus I also have Fbackup (http://www.fbackup.com/) doing daily backups of the important items that always change daily Example (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Backup4.jpg) to two different servers in the workshop. (the program is free) The office one contains several folders, and files, the others no need to explain.
One thing I like about the Fbackup, is it saves them to a zipped file so any PC can open them if needed. Some backup programs require you to have the actual program installed to access the files.

One thing that is a MUST ---any backups must work, no point if you need them and they have failed, thats why they should be checked every so often - better to find out before they are needed than :crying afterwards.

Thanks for that.Will look at Fbackup.Have been using Second Copy for a few years now for Outlook,Cashbook etc.Now backing up to 3 hard drives in the pc after my 6 month old Seagate Data drive started warning me it wanted to leave me!
It's just the C drive image thing that I'm doing once a week that I'm wanting to use the best program for.
Thanks for your help.

BBCmicro
04-09-2010, 10:08 AM
just curious as to why you are using 3rd party backup when Windows 7 has a great image and data backup application built in?

Yes that puzzles me too

gary67
04-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Yes that puzzles me too

Hoe premium doesn't back up over a network which is why I don't use it

Speedy Gonzales
04-09-2010, 12:19 PM
According to an MS forum people using Premium use Synctoy, with no probs at all

Synctoy (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=c26efa36-98e0-4ee9-a7c5-98d0592d8c52&displaylang=en)

Or Comodo backup (http://www.comodo.com/home/data-storage-encryption/comodo-backup.php)

gary67
04-09-2010, 12:59 PM
I use syncback to synchronise by Data drive so that I have backups by folder. I image my C drive weekly over the LAN to my backup computer as it is easier to restore from an image

Neil McC
04-09-2010, 05:28 PM
Just did an image only with Windows backup...47Gb
With Acronis or Active@ it's 32 Gb.And the Windows one took longer!

wainuitech
04-09-2010, 05:32 PM
With Active @ you can change the compression ratio as well to reduce the size.

Neil McC
04-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Same with Acronis.I just leave them on default.Can you validate the Windows backup?