PDA

View Full Version : Yes there is a problem

pctek
30-08-2010, 07:48 PM
http://www.pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=112252&page=2

I took the monitor over to a friends and plugged it into her sons WinXP, 8600GT, VX2835wm system.
It looked like rubbish.
I downloaded the latest Nvidia driver - made no difference, messed with all settings - made no difference.
Interesting his enormous lovely monitor also looks like crap, in the same way.

It's not a large crap look - but it is there - when you know how it should look.
It looks like the res is wrong - it's the only way I can explain it - not sharp like it should be.

So, this was a Winxp system, 8600GT, hers is WIn7 64bit, and a HD4870.
Nothing in common really.

Her Win7 system detected the moniotor properly - with correct brand and model number - his Winxp system said it was a Plug and play monitor - ASUS do not have an actual monitor driver - I checked.

So, any ideas why certain PCs will do this and others not?

All I can think - my Win7 was installed on an LCD - her's wasn't, neither was this test Winx system I tried - although what difference that should make I don't know.

It's not the monitor, that's been established. But why the weird look????

forrest44
30-08-2010, 07:56 PM
A lot of Geforce 8000 series GPUs can become faulty, due to poor choice of lead-free die-to-pin connectors inside the chip, which degrade after thermal stress => picture becomes garbled or disappears altogether. Which I'm sure you know about...

...but that's probably not the issue here...?

fred_fish
30-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Correct refresh rate?

zqwerty
30-08-2010, 08:26 PM
Cleartype tuning maybe

BBCmicro
30-08-2010, 09:52 PM
I have an XP machine with an 8600 GT card - struck problems when I foolishly ticked an Nvidia hardware update on Windows Updates. (Viewsonic monitor)

pctek
30-08-2010, 09:59 PM
It's not a GPU issue.

System 1: Win7 64bit, HD4870
LCD looks pixellated

System 2: WinXP, 8600GT
Any LCD connected looks pixellated

My system: Win7 64bit, HD5970 - the same LCD looks great on mine.

The only thing the first 2 systems have in common is that Windows was originally installed using a CRT monitor.
CRT monitor looks fine.

Its not the monitor, its not the GPU - that leaves what? Windows - it has to be. The Win 7 system correctly identifys the monitor and puts it in it's correct resolution - but, I suspect it isn't really.

At least that is the only thing I can think of to cause the issue. And it's obviously not specific to certain WIndows cause both these people have the same issue using LCDs and they have different hardware and different versions of WIndows, which I never would have believed if I hadn't seen it.

pctek
31-08-2010, 08:49 AM
Bump

wainuitech
31-08-2010, 09:07 AM
Got a theory -- tried to call -- stop yacking on the phone :p:lol:

pctek
31-08-2010, 09:52 AM
Yes, yes, was on the ph to Techmaster...Ubuntu downloading, will wander over to guinea pigs place and see what happens with his PC and then will probably have to get her to send her PC up too.

Good idea the ubuntu test......

SolMiester
31-08-2010, 10:08 AM
It's not a GPU issue.

System 1: Win7 64bit, HD4870
LCD looks pixellated

System 2: WinXP, 8600GT
Any LCD connected looks pixellated

My system: Win7 64bit, HD5970 - the same LCD looks great on mine.

The only thing the first 2 systems have in common is that Windows was originally installed using a CRT monitor.
CRT monitor looks fine.

Its not the monitor, its not the GPU - that leaves what? Windows - it has to be. The Win 7 system correctly identifys the monitor and puts it in it's correct resolution - but, I suspect it isn't really.

At least that is the only thing I can think of to cause the issue. And it's obviously not specific to certain WIndows cause both these people have the same issue using LCDs and they have different hardware and different versions of WIndows, which I never would have believed if I hadn't seen it.

What cable are they using PCT, the same as the CRT?, DVI?

kahawai chaser
31-08-2010, 10:31 AM
If you suspect it's windows, one method to investigate is to use the advanced process explorer (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx), to assess dll's, threads, handles, stacks, etc. Some articles by Mark Russinovich (http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2009/07/08/3261309.aspx) discusses applications. I recall a article a while back, where he proved that a driver/process for some hardware were not fully working, due something about threads overloading or something.

Agent_24
31-08-2010, 11:15 AM
For a resolution that high, make sure you are using a DVI or HDMI connection.

If you are plugged in using a VGA cable, at that resolution anything will look bad.

pctek
31-08-2010, 01:07 PM
OK I RMAed it back to ASUS.

It failed on Ubuntu. Looked like rubbish.
It failed on the WinXP PC.
It failed on a Vista laptop.

In fact the only thing it looks any good on is my PC - mine must be special.

So that's 4 PCs, 4 different operating systems and it only passed on one.

Must be the monitor.