PDA

View Full Version : For those who recommend the Netcomm NB6 series...

Agent_24
30-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Hate to post this but:
http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=120893

Shows that nothing is immune to stupid manufacturers using crap quality components, no matter how good the rest of the design and firmware is.

I know this is not one of the wireless ones, but I am guessing they have exactly the same problem.

GameJunkie
30-08-2010, 04:13 PM
noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

hope this isnt a problem with NB6Plus4Wn

DeSade
30-08-2010, 04:43 PM
That would explain the crappy performance of mine.
It had a 30ms hop between the router and the comp couldn't figure it out.
Got a Orcon Home Hub and problem went away.

Chilling_Silence
30-08-2010, 05:24 PM
That's a real shame ... :(

Still, in terms of value-for-money, or reliability-for-dollar, I think they seem to be the best at the moment :D

Agent_24
30-08-2010, 05:38 PM
They probably do work great for the first 1-2 years (depending on how hot the operating
environment is)

After a capacitor replacement (which would only cost a few dollars) they would be even better.

It annoys me that the manufacturers don't just do this to start with, it would not increase the price substantially at all. I think they would just rather you buy a new one every year or two!

wainuitech
30-08-2010, 06:46 PM
It annoys me that the manufacturers don't just do this to start with, it would not increase the price substantially at all. Not quite so.

Maybe for a single unit thats true, but remember they purchase components by the thousands, so even a 1 cent increase over each capacitor adds up to big $$ real fast.

Agent_24
30-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Not quite so.

Maybe for a single unit thats true, but remember they purchase components by the thousands, so even a 1 cent increase over each capacitor adds up to big $$ real fast.

But then all they need to do is increase the sale price by 1 cent to cover it!

Who is going to say "oh $29.99 is just too much, it's $29.98 or nothing" (or whatever the price is)

wainuitech
30-08-2010, 08:04 PM
I was only using 1 cent as an example, who knows how much more the better ones cost.
Once again it could run into the millions of $$ to get better more expensive quality.

I would suspect that if a certain brand of component were to cost a considerable amount more then they would opt for the lower priced item.

While the theory about increasing the price by a minimal amount on a single item is true, do things in bulk (if you ran a business) and see what its like.

Chilling_Silence
31-08-2010, 08:57 AM
Especially when they're shipping potentially anywhere from tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of those devices ... A few cents here and there can *really* affect their returns.

Still, 2-3 years for a router isn't *bad* .. it's still the most reliable for the home / small office, within that time-frame ;)