PDA

View Full Version : Phenom core unlocking - Voltage

jareemon
30-08-2010, 01:30 PM
My cousin has a phenom dual core and just unlocked the other 2 disabled cores. What voltage should he have it at? at the moment hes got in on +0.1%, but he knows someone else who had his at +1.4%. What would you guys reccomend?

SolMiester
30-08-2010, 02:52 PM
You realise the 2 cores are disabled for a reason dont you, I wouldnt be surprised if a little instablilty comes along with the inlock even if he gets the correct voltage.
Anyway, check what voltage the x4 is supposed to have and use that as a starter! You may need to drop speed to keep the system stable with all 4 cores..Really, for the price difference with AMD, I would rather have gotten the full CPU period!
Check with Agent_24, he is an AMD guy!

inphinity
30-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Which Phenom dual core?

SolMiester
30-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Im assuming the OP is referring to the Phemon II x2!

jareemon
30-08-2010, 07:10 PM
hes got it stable with 1.425 volts
and no overvolting on the northbridge which was his problem earlier
it was a phenom 2 550 x2

forrest44
30-08-2010, 07:43 PM
I think AMD rates them at a max safe voltage of 1.55v. I would go as low as you can, as this would mean less power usage and lower temps. However if you go too low, you'll start to get crashes at temperatures which were previously OK. 1.45 - 1.5v would be fine if you are looking at a mild OC

Agent_24
30-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Unfortunately I don't know either, I'm not into overclocking.

I stick to the "If you can't afford to blow it up, don't overclock it" rule.

You should be able to find some good information on AMD's own forum though.

forrest44
30-08-2010, 10:47 PM
And you can use some software like OCCT or something similar to test the stability, it will run for an hour or whatever you set it to, and if it detects an error, it will stop and tell you

Thebananamonkey
30-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Download Prime95 and run it on a torture test ("Small FFTs") overnight.

Download Core Temp. There's a setting in there (Options, Overheat Protection) that allows you to have the computer turn it off if it gets too hot. Find out the Tmax for that processor and set it to that.

The only difference AFAIK between the x2 and x4 is that they're a lower quality bin. ie: when they were produced, the better examples go to x4's and the others go to x2's. It's a sensible way of getting rid of otherwise surplus stock. If it's running stable then I wouldn't worry about it.

Generally with volts, as little as you possibly can is the rule. I've spent quite a bit of time making sure that my volts are as low as possible whilst remaining stable. The payback is that my CPU runs about 20C cooler than the AUTO volts.