PDA

View Full Version : Corrupt thunderbird inbox

Phil B
29-08-2010, 11:22 PM
Thunderbird has lost 6 months of email messages from the inbox. It looks like a common fault.
I'm trying to open the thunderbird inbox file with a text editor like notepad. Notepad crashes, wordpad crashes, open office gets half way through importing the file & crashes. I've renamed the inbox file to inbox.txt. Tried doing the same & the same happens. Tried opening it with notepad via command line & it says the file is too large for notepad. Does onyone know of a text editor program that will force it's way into anything & open it?

Speedy Gonzales
29-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Did you check google? Try this (http://byronmiller.typepad.com/byronmiller/2006/04/stupid_thunderb.html)

Phil B
29-08-2010, 11:32 PM
Yep tried that. No good
I did once manage to keep the inbox file open long enough to see that the emails I want are in there. I've got to get in & change their status for them to be available for the inbox to show them. I just need the inbox to open

I was wondering if a linux text editor might do it ??

Safari
30-08-2010, 12:44 AM
Why on earth would you keep all that mail in your inbox
The inbox is just that, a place to receive mail and then you sort it into folders or delete it.
It is like your letter box, if you leave 6 months of mail in it you are bound to loose some of it.