PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for the front pannel pinout

curly
29-08-2010, 09:27 PM
for a Chaintech P35-121-16B9 motherboard.

I bought this MB on trademe only to find no manual was included and the seller could not recall the connections (s'pose I should have asked first, however if I cannot get it going he is happy to refund ).

Really, the only pins I need to identify is the power connector jumper, the others I can leave for the moment. Maybe try trial and error later.

Caution... I searched the net for this MB and several sites claimed to have what I wanted, but most needed my phone number, prefexed by 64. Had I proceeded guess my next phone bill would be huge.

Anyway... one last thought. Could I do any harm if I jumpered two pins at a time till it powered up ?

Speedy Gonzales
29-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Well it looks like they've stopped making motherboards. So, it maybe hard to find the manual. If you know where the header is (on the mobo), for the front power, it should be labelled

curly
29-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Thanks speedy, yeah the connector is easy to locate but there is no identification of the pins at all. All that is printed is "Front Panel", next to the
connector.

Speedy Gonzales
29-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Take a pic of the connectors on the mobo if you can

curly
29-08-2010, 10:43 PM
Yeah Speedy I can and I just know you want me to post the photo somewhere but I damned if I know how to do it !

Speedy Gonzales
29-08-2010, 11:28 PM
Reply then click on manage attachments underneath

Agent_24
30-08-2010, 01:14 PM
They used to have everything available at http://www.chaintech.com.tw/a40_downloads.php but now nothing comes up for motherboards.

You could try contacting them, they probably still have the files.

wratterus
30-08-2010, 01:16 PM
You can't kill anything with the front panel, it's easy to figure out the power and reset using a screwdriver, then just go by trial and error to find the LEDs.

Agent_24
30-08-2010, 01:35 PM
I wouldn't go poking around.. there are voltages there, some things might not like it if you short them to other things...

Are you sure "P35-121-16B9" is the correct number? I checked Chaintech's website as archived on Web Archive and there is nothing by that name.

pctek
30-08-2010, 01:42 PM
for a Chaintech P35-121-16B9 motherboard.

I bought this MB on trademe .. the seller .... is happy to refund ).

Personally I'd go with the refund., Chaintech were not a terrifically reliable board anyway......

Agent_24
30-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Personally I'd go with the refund., Chaintech were not a terrifically reliable board anyway......

I have a few here, Slot 1 mainly. Actually they all still work fine.

I found for the most part that the BIOS was often buggy though.

curly
30-08-2010, 04:42 PM
I wouldn't go poking around.. there are voltages there, some things might not like it if you short them to other things...

Are you sure "P35-121-16B9" is the correct number? I checked Chaintech's website as archived on Web Archive and there is nothing by that name.

Yeah, there is a sticker on top of the USB/internet stack which says just that, so I must accept thats what it is. And thanks for the voltage warning.

curly
30-08-2010, 04:54 PM
You can't kill anything with the front panel, it's easy to figure out the power and reset using a screwdriver, then just go by trial and error to find the LEDs.

Considering the whole deal cost just 27 bucks and included motherboard plus an AMD XP2800+ CPU it would be logical to try the screwdriver method. I'd forgotten, but have used the screwdriver before. LED's not much use to me anyway, as the box is shoved deep under a table where I can't see it anyway !
thanks

Agent_24
30-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Going by the location of the sticker you mentioned that is more likely to be the serial number or something.

P35 made me think of Intel but if you are running an Athlon XP then it makes more sense to be the serial number.

Is there anything written (silkscreened) on the board itself? Perhaps near the CPU socket or between the PCI slots?

wainuitech
30-08-2010, 05:25 PM
What a lot of fluffing about :p

Most Front headers work the same way, as in two pins to make the board start, simply pressing the start button causes a short, which boots the board.

This pin layout (http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-009016.htm) is quite common. Generally look on the board, sometimes they will have + & - right beside one another, simply touch a flat bladed screwdriver between two pins, sooner or later one set will kick the board into life as long as every thing else is Ok hardware wise.

Theres been MANY times some boards dont have a + - showing, I've just run a screw driver along the pins to find out which ones are the Power. Could also be like This AMD header (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Power1283146763.jpg)

curly
30-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Most Front headers work the same way, as in two pins to make the board start, simply pressing the start button causes a short, which boots the board.

This pin layout (http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-009016.htm) is quite common. Generally look on the board, sometimes they will have + & - right beside one another, simply touch a flat bladed screwdriver between two pins, sooner or later one set will kick the board into life as long as every thing else is Ok hardware wise.

Theres been MANY times some boards dont have a + - showing, I've just run a screw driver along the pins to find out which ones are the Power. Could also be like This AMD header (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Power1283146763.jpg)[/QUOTE]

Hi, this board has two rows of 9 pins and other than the words "Front Panel", there is nothing else. My trusty screwdriver will be called apon tomorrow !

curly
30-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Going by the location of the sticker you mentioned that is more likely to be the serial number or something.

P35 made me think of Intel but if you are running an Athlon XP then it makes more sense to be the serial number.

Is there anything written (silkscreened) on the board itself? Perhaps near the CPU socket or between the PCI slots?

Nope, looked in both places you mentioned. Goggle finds the board, but no one seems to have a copy of the manual. Anyway a screwdriver should get it going tomorrow !

wainuitech
30-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Does the pin arrangement look like These here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/68.jpg) - they are from another Chaintech Board, power Pins are 6 & 8

curly
31-08-2010, 04:35 PM

Short answer No

However there is a lot of silk screening but relating to resistors/capacitors etc.