PDA

View Full Version : Laptop died, no ethernet

Greg
29-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Out of the blue my Asus M51V notebook suddenly wouldn't start up. Absolutely dead. After mucking around with the Vista recovery disk I got it going again but had to completely restore Vista. I lost everything. Too bad - the worst of it was all my photos.

Anyway, now the stupid thing is just randomly shutting down for no apparent reason.

On top of that I can't connect to the Net using ethernet. The message i get is that it doesn't have an ethernet card. Which of course it does. (I'm now connecting via USB).

I tried to to a checkdisk, but the stupid thing shuts down each time exactly at 11%.

Any ideas please?

Snorkbox
29-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Have you re installed the motherboard drivers?

Have you tried a chkdsk in safe mode?

Have you had a look in device manager and if so are there any yellow exclamation marks or unkown hardware?

Speedy Gonzales
29-08-2010, 07:40 PM
remove the hdd put it in a desktop. Scan it for errors and for malware

gary67
29-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Vista seems to be having some issues, Step sons laptop keeps dropping it's wired connection, yet is fine on Wifi. Thought it might be the connection in his room so brought it into the office and plugged it into the switch next to my desktop. Both desktops XP & Win7 carried on working on the net laptop still dropping out, so it's definitely something on the Vista laptop, updated it's driver no diff

Alex B
29-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Do a memory test and hard drive test.

SolMiester
30-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Out of the blue my Asus M51V notebook suddenly wouldn't start up. Absolutely dead. After mucking around with the Vista recovery disk I got it going again but had to completely restore Vista. I lost everything. Too bad - the worst of it was all my photos.

Anyway, now the stupid thing is just randomly shutting down for no apparent reason.

On top of that I can't connect to the Net using ethernet. The message i get is that it doesn't have an ethernet card. Which of course it does. (I'm now connecting via USB).

I tried to to a checkdisk, but the stupid thing shuts down each time exactly at 11%.

Any ideas please?

wow, you choose to wipe your drive without even trying to get your data off?

shutdown will be heat or power issue.....you should of removed the hard drive and copied what you could!

wratterus
30-08-2010, 10:34 AM
wow, you choose to wipe your drive without even trying to get your data off?

shutdown will be heat or power issue.....you should of removed the hard drive and copied what you could!

x2

I would also do a hard drive diagnostic. Should have popped in here for some tips before wiping the drive, there was no need to lose the photos. :(

pctek
30-08-2010, 10:48 AM
Out of the blue my Asus M51V notebook suddenly wouldn't start up. Absolutely dead. After mucking around with the Vista recovery disk I got it going again but had to completely restore Vista.

So it wasn't completely dead then. Dead means no power, no response at all.
If you got Vista in, it wasn't dead, just sick.

I agree - do a hard drive check - you'll have to see what brand the HDD is.

Greg
30-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Thanks for your replies - some useful but nothing of any practical use. I'm sending the damn thing to Asus under warranty.

wratterus
30-08-2010, 11:53 AM
No practical use...? Would you like step by step instructions on how to run a hard drive diagnostic? :confused:

Greg
30-08-2010, 12:20 PM
No practical use...? Would you like step by step instructions on how to run a hard drive diagnostic? :confused:
Yeah why not?

Meanwhile, lo and behold, I reinstalled every bloody driver on the Asus driver disk, and I regained my Ethernet connection! So as long as it continues to run I have the luxury of using this machine again for the Internet, and do a bit more research.

wratterus
30-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Probably the easiest way is to get a copy of the ultimate boot cd - this is useful for all sorts of stuff not just testing the hard drive.

So go to http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html and scroll down, pick a download link from one of the mirror sites and download the .iso file. It will take a wee while to download, it's a few hundred MB.

Grab imgburn (http://fileforum.betanews.com/download/ImgBurn/1128426215/1), and install it. once you've download the .iso file and installed imgburn, slap a blank CD into the drive, cancel the autoplay and right click on the .iso file you download, on the right click menu there should be a 'burn using imgburn' option - select that.

All you have to do is click the big button in the bottom left hand corner and away it will go.

Next thing once the burning is complete is to boot off the cd - I assume you know how to do this, if not just ask. ;)

Go to hard drive, then diagnostics and run the diagnostic for your drive manufacturer.

If you don't know what brand the drive is you can take it out and physically look at it, or check in the BIOS or device manager. if you tell us what the serial number is we can tell you what brand of drive it is.

Snorkbox
30-08-2010, 12:45 PM
So you actually did what I had asked about way back in post number 2 then!

Greg
30-08-2010, 01:04 PM
Thx Wratterus. Yeah I can cope with all that.

Snork, yeah sorta - I thought all the drivers I'd need were on the Vista recovery disk. I didn't even know i had a dedicated Asus driver disk!

I tried chkdsk in safe mode, but it kept telling me it would only run before Windows started, even in safe mode.

Anyway - been running the machine for nearly an hour so far without a crash, which is a new record.

I'll sure be happy not to have to send the machine to Asus - apart from how many days or weeks they keep it, I once spilt some juice on the keyboard, (without any adverse affects at the time), so if they detect some fluid residue at best I'll have to pay for shipping, or worse have to pay for the work and parts Urk!

Thanks again folks.

wratterus
30-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Cool, let us know how you get on.

Agent_24
30-08-2010, 02:20 PM
Scan the drive with a data recovery tool like File Scavenger. As long as you haven't done a full format you might get most of your data back.

Just make sure you do it with the drive connected to another PC so you don't do any more writing to it!

Alex B
30-08-2010, 02:58 PM
I agree - do a hard drive check - you'll have to see what brand the HDD is.

I'm yet to find a drive seatools will not scan.

Agent_24
30-08-2010, 03:05 PM
I'm yet to find a drive seatools will not scan.

But it's still not as good as HDAT2.

Greg
30-08-2010, 03:28 PM
I'm not too fussed about losing the photos - although they're the only data I miss, its the damn hassle of reconfiguring and reinstalling all my apps. Generally I only use the lappy for Internet access, and usually the work I do on it I backup to my desktop drives.

Meanwhile things aren't ideal yet.... I went out to the supa for 30 minutes and when I returned the lappy had shut down again. I have to wonder if it doesn't somehow do this when there's little or no activity happening on it.

So I'm still gonna do some of the diagnostics suggested by you folks; and one of my brothers has offered me a free copy of Win7, which I may take him up on.

My desktop is XP SP1, which still works fine, apart from the damn fact of having to transfer data to it via flash drive or DVD when I make backups.

Ah well - life wasn't meant to be easy!

wratterus
30-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Greg, when you have the notebook fired up, install this (http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php) and check the CPU temperature.

Cicero
30-08-2010, 03:58 PM
Whats it like up the Zambesi?

Greg
30-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Greg, when you have the notebook fired up, install this (http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php) and check the CPU temperature.Thx. I'll probably do that, bet there's no evidence of it overheating, eg where I work is rather cool, the air is not even close to warm coming out of the vents. On my desktop I can read various temperatures via BIOS. When I look into this machine's BIOS I can't see anything which gives speed or temperatures of fans or components.

I'm just a bit hesitant to overload things with software and apps that aren't necessary all the time.

As an afterthought however, perhaps the shut-down temp is set to be too cool somehow, so I guess I'll take your suggestion.

My desktop usually runs at around 35c, and is set in BIOS to warn at over 50c. I'm unsure what an acceptable temp limit is for a notebook... I don't stress it - no games or intensive graphics apps are running. My ex's machine had a few games of mine on it and never had overhesating probs (it was also a good Asus).

Greg
30-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Whats it like up the Zambesi?Nearest I've been there was down-stream near Victoria Falls. Lots of bad-arse fish and crocs, hippos and various wild cats. Perhaps you know more? ;-)

Cicero
30-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Nearest I've been there was down-stream near Victoria Falls. Lots of bad-arse fish and crocs, hippos and various wild cats. Perhaps you know more? ;-)

No,just thought you said you were off to parts unknown.

Greg
30-08-2010, 05:51 PM
No,just thought you said you were off to parts unknown.
I just need a wild woman who can handle a gun. And can fight off the bandits while I sleep soundly in the comfort of her maids.

But it's still a serious thought. Just gonna have to find an inexpensive fast outboard powered canoe. Perhaps the harem will come later.