PDA

View Full Version : Can you just use one Media Player

Digby
29-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Hi Guys

There are so many movie formats out there these days, and it seems that someone makes a new one every few weeks or so!

I used to use Windows Media Player, Classic media Player and VLC, but that is a pain with all the file associations etc.

Now that I have found Classic Media Players new version - Home Cinema, I am hoping to be able to just use this and remove the other two.

What do you think ?

Speedy Gonzales
29-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Well you can remove VLC. But unless youre using Win7, you cant remove WMP. If Home Cinema gives you the option for whatever filetype, tick all of them. Then it'll open whatever

nedkelly
29-08-2010, 11:41 AM
I use VLC and have just assigned all video and music extensions to it

SoniKalien
29-08-2010, 11:57 AM
fwiw I use Gom Player...

PPp
29-08-2010, 12:05 PM
I fid KM Player will show almost anything.

Agent_24
29-08-2010, 12:43 PM
I use Winamp for audio and VLC for Video.

The interface for VLC is horrible for audio but great for video and vice versa for Winamp.

gary67
29-08-2010, 01:02 PM
I used to use exclusively VLC which I still use on the media PC, on my personal PC I have switched to media player home cinema for everything, just haven't got around to changing the media PC yet

golfer
29-08-2010, 01:10 PM
Have used Jetaudio basic for years with no problems http://www.jetaudio.com/products/jetaudio/

Digby
29-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Great replies guys.
The reason I like Home Cinema (Classic Media Player) is that it has the option to print out thumbnails of a video.

So I am hoping that I can just use Home Cinema, which means I need not install VLC on my new machine (one less complication). Not that I have anything against VLC.

Snorkbox
29-08-2010, 02:08 PM
I just use WMP12. Plays everything I want with the KLite codecs installed.

autechre
30-08-2010, 10:14 AM
I am hoping that I can just use Home Cinema, which means I need not install VLC on my new machine (one less complication). Not that I have anything against VLC.
Yes, MPC-Home Cinema will play pretty much everything. Get the K-Lite Mega Codec pack that has MPC-HC included and you should have all the codecs you need.

SolMiester
31-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Hi Guys, I would like to move on from WMP12 on Windows 7....its too slow scrolling through the music etc.....is this normal for around 9000 tracks?.
Anyway, I want something with graphic equaliser and thumbnails, can take my existing playlists as well.

Any idea?, oh and free!

Agent_24
31-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Have you considered Winamp?

John H
31-08-2010, 11:49 AM
I use Media Player Classic - Home Cinema for almost everything. I tried VLC but for some reason it would not play nicely with some other software on my PC (well, I never worked out what was wrong with it). I had to get rid of it and do a system restore. I have never had a problem with MPC. Great to get rid of Real Player too.

SolMiester
31-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Have you considered Winamp?

LOL, your ears must have been burning, I just downloaded and installed...Haven't used it in years!...still trying to learn what it does, but must say I think its a bit busy and a little small...would be great if I could make it bigger (my eyes arent what they used to be)..
Still, it does have an equaliser which I really miss from WMP12

SolMiester
31-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Will have a look for your app John!

Edit - Just found and downloaded....awful!...!

Agent_24
31-08-2010, 12:22 PM
LOL, your ears must have been burning, I just downloaded and installed...Haven't used it in years!...still trying to learn what it does, but must say I think its a bit busy and a little small...would be great if I could make it bigger (my eyes arent what they used to be)..
Still, it does have an equaliser which I really miss from WMP12

You might find the older "Modern" skin better than the new "Bento" one (I use Modern)

But, you can probably find a skin on the Winamp site that has larger buttons etc.

Speedy Gonzales
31-08-2010, 12:32 PM
There's also Mediamonkey http://www.mediamonkey.com/download/

But its not free. But if you dont need/want the options it doesnt have, its good enough

Cellux
31-08-2010, 03:03 PM
I use different media players for different files.

For videos in general I use Media Player Classic with the Community Codec Pack.
If that doesn't work I use VideoLan.

For audio, I use Foobar 2000. Uses barely any memory or CPU time and once you learn to use it efficiently, it's really useful.

sammo450
31-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Free version of MediaMonkey is pretty good, I definitely prefer it to WinAmp.