PDA

View Full Version : Google SSL?

The Error Guy
29-08-2010, 08:26 AM
What are peoples views on Google's SSL? I certainly appreciate the fact that at least one company has peoples privacy in mind but why?

Its not like most people would be really concerned about search requests, i'm guessing google is going to start charging the feds to look at peoples search history instead of just going to the ISP

somebody
29-08-2010, 10:05 AM
"at least one company has people's privacy in mind" - yes, this is the same company that tracks everything you do to mine it for behavioural data. Sadly, there's no such thing as privacy on the internet.

Speedy Gonzales
29-08-2010, 10:33 AM
One reason why I don't install anything made by Google. They're too nosy

The Error Guy
29-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Well when I said privacy its a sort of understatement. "privacy" in this case is restricting your life details to google

Agent_24
29-08-2010, 11:36 AM
One reason why I don't install anything made by Google. They're too nosy

I used to use Google Earth until they started bundling that updater you can't turn off.

Speedy Gonzales
29-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Even with this new voice thing in Gmail it installs. Would be nice if it told you that. Or gave you an option to opt out. I didn't know it, till googleupdater appeared in startup. So, I uninstalled it

Agent_24
29-08-2010, 01:16 PM
I have found that it's possible to block it with Comodo.

Running Defense+ you just prevent the installer from writing the googleupdater.exe and associated registry entries.

Of course you must do that every single time you update and it does get annoying, but it works...

The most annoying part is manually allowing the installer to write all the other executables, DLLs and registry entries you actually DO want.

gary67
29-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Well that's odd, I run a gmail account, Picasa, moderate a google group I own and use Google Earth and there is no google updater on my computer, it is not in startup I just looked or anywhere else. I think you guys must be more paranoid then me, I just refuse to join face thing or anything by Crapple

Speedy Gonzales
29-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Its not in Gmail itself. But if you install the plugin so the voice thing works. It'll install the voice part as well as googleupdater. Its the same reason I'm not on FB. What they need to know is none of their business

Agent_24
29-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Well that's odd, I run a gmail account, Picasa, moderate a google group I own and use Google Earth and there is no google updater on my computer, it is not in startup I just looked or anywhere else. I think you guys must be more paranoid then me, I just refuse to join face thing or anything by Crapple

Depends how old your versions of Picasa and Google Earth are, They only added the Googleupdater thing recently.

I'm not paranoid about their software (I use their search engine already anyway!) but it annoys me greatly that there is no option to not install or to disable the updater after install.

I don't want their updater running in the background wasting resources, and I don't NEED it. I am perfectly capable of downloading an update of the software when I want to.

When a company decides that they think they can do whatever they want on my PC that is when their programs get defenestrated.

gary67
29-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Both installed in June after a system crash

Agent_24
29-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Both installed in June after a system crash

Strange, you *should* have the googleupdater then. Unless they finally realised that people didn't like it...

What did you check your startup entries etc with? maybe they have just got better at hiding it....

fred_fish
29-08-2010, 02:25 PM
check your "Scheduled Tasks"...

The Error Guy
29-08-2010, 03:32 PM
dunno why it needs to run constantly. I'm re-engineering it with backtrack to see exactly what it tries or will try to do. Usually ditch it from my services and startup via msconfig

Chilling_Silence
29-08-2010, 09:19 PM
Except at least Google *tell* you what they're tracking on the Dashboard:
https://www.google.com/dashboard/