PDA

View Full Version : Google voice - anyone tried the workaround?

Chikara
29-08-2010, 03:26 AM
Hi all

So Google Voice is now launched, but only available in USA.

But I see there is a trick that by changing your language to English-US in Gmail, you can actually download the plugin and use it (with the trade-off being your spellcheck is now Americanised (or should that be Americanized)!

Has anyone actually used it yet? Thoughts? How does it compare to Skype?

Speedy Gonzales
29-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Seems to work. Well you get the plugin. But since it looks like it installs google update, I think I'll pass

CliveM
29-08-2010, 09:53 AM
I installed it on my laptop. Rang my own number and that worked ok.

wainuitech
29-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Just had a play on a workshop PC, and yes it does work. Called my land line from the PC and it was crystal clear, no lag.

BUT (theres always a BUT);) ITS NOT FREE. This may be because its actually going through USA as an international call.

you are given a 8 cent credit - I rang my own number, a 1 Minute call Cost 2 cents (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Capture1283050549.png).

Better off with Skype untill it becomes available here in NZ, then it may or may not be free.

Chilling_Silence
29-08-2010, 10:12 PM
You're given 10c credit to start with, and it works brilliantly. Rang SurferJoe46 for an hour, he's in the US.

I didn't have to make any changes to my account either, I just logged in a couple of days ago and it was there :) Basically, they're slowly rolling it out to everybody, if it's not enabled on your account yet, it will be shortly.

Quality was *much* better than any Skype or MSN call I've ever had, latency was as though he was just across the room, not across the world. Broke up at one stage, but only for about half a second, and I was still able to make out what was being said...