PDA

View Full Version : G-Fone Tallies Over 1 Million Hits/24 Hours!

SurferJoe46
28-08-2010, 12:53 PM
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/google-more-than-1-million-calls-through-gmail-in-24-hours/38500?tag=nl.e539

johcar
28-08-2010, 12:58 PM
We'll have to stick with Skype until Google decides to roll it out down here...

Chilling_Silence
28-08-2010, 01:11 PM
I've got it on my Gmail account. Got nobody I wanna ring though ... :-/

SurferJoe46
28-08-2010, 01:15 PM
I've got it on my Gmail account. Got nobody I wanna ring though ... :-/

Hey! I'm home in California - wanna try to see if it works uphill?

Chilling_Silence
28-08-2010, 01:16 PM
Sure? Why not? PM me your details and I'll give you a buzz :D

Speedy Gonzales
28-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Yup its already here. Just open Gmail, and install the plugin. Then you'll have it. It also supports a cam if you have 1. You have to change the language to US tho to install the plugin.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10669291

Chilling_Silence
28-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Just on the phone to Joe now!

Works surprisingly well!!

gary67
28-08-2010, 02:16 PM
So does it cost to make calls within NZ using this? what about international calls do they cost and if so how do you pay for it?

Chilling_Silence
28-08-2010, 02:19 PM
Through your Google Checkout account :)

SurferJoe46
28-08-2010, 02:35 PM
Amazingly - I could understand everything Chill said - even with all the noise of the LAN party going on in the background.

I think I head the clink of bottles and pouring of adult libations too.

I think we talked for over an hour or so - and if it's not free, well, send me my half of the bill.

I have a pix for youse guys too - didn't know that youse don't know about this, so I'll see what youse think::

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_cRmowvPKcq4/THhnoPOQLII/AAAAAAAAEsU/kfZvExM7Cuc/s512/100_6676.JPG

Youse guys are all eating lunch I guess right about now.

Chilling_Silence
28-08-2010, 02:39 PM
I just got an email bill from Google for USD$793 for the 1 hour 4 minute phone call ... please send cheque :D

Chilling_Silence
28-08-2010, 03:43 PM
But yes, it was a pleasure chatting to you Joe :)

SurferJoe46
28-08-2010, 03:46 PM
I just got an email bill from Google for USD$793 for the 1 hour 4 minute phone call ... please send cheque :D

Let me find my pen. :badpc::help::eek::mad:

zqwerty
28-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Yeah might have been better to let Joe call you from what I can see they want 22cents a minute from me if I was to use it for a local call.

paulw
28-08-2010, 04:13 PM
We'll have to stick with Skype until Google decides to roll it out down here...

What do you mean down here?? I've been testing it since day one. Apart from the audio lag it's not too bad..

Speedy Gonzales
28-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Hmm might check it out. Have to find someone first

SurferJoe46
28-08-2010, 04:23 PM
What do you mean down here?? I've been testing it since day one. Apart from the audio lag it's not too bad..

I didn't notice much latency at all - the conversation went a little 'flange' a bit once or twice, but it was fully hi-fi and clear all the way.

Even when the penguins stepped on the cable it was still pretty clear.

Chilling_Silence
28-08-2010, 04:37 PM
:clap

Yeah was much better than any skype / msn call I've ever had!

SurferJoe46
28-08-2010, 04:42 PM
It was good for me too.

Chilling_Silence
29-08-2010, 12:28 AM
Must admit I quite enjoyed our chat. I didn't quite intend for it to go for so long but you make for good company :D

...still gutted that your tax is so much less than ours, in every way, shape and form :-/

SurferJoe46
29-08-2010, 03:11 AM
Must admit I quite enjoyed our chat. I didn't quite intend for it to go for so long but you make for good company :D

...still gutted that your tax is so much less than ours, in every way, shape and form :-/

The taxes may be less, but then again we have to live here.

It was all a birth accident really.

I swear though that if I lived in Upsidedown Land, the sheep herds would be seriously thinned, yet your supply of mint would be intact.

tut
29-08-2010, 08:26 AM
How it got its name (from Google) Worth a look. It was a bloody Orstalian product orginally

'In 1906, William Ramsay had developed an unusually fine boot polish to which he gave the name ‘KIWI’. The choice of the name KIWI as a trademark was a tribute to William’s wife who was a native of New Zealand, home of the KIWI bird and New Zealand's national emblem. During Ramsay's visit to New Zealand he had noticed the quaint, wingless birds with their crisp, glossy plumage. The kiwi bird design looked good on the small round tin, and the name was easy to see and attractive to look at'.

SurferJoe46
29-08-2010, 09:56 AM
How it got its name (from Google) Worth a look. It was a bloody Orstalian product orginally

'In 1906, William Ramsay had developed an unusually fine boot polish to which he gave the name ‘KIWI’. The choice of the name KIWI as a trademark was a tribute to William’s wife who was a native of New Zealand, home of the KIWI bird and New Zealand's national emblem. During Ramsay's visit to New Zealand he had noticed the quaint, wingless birds with their crisp, glossy plumage. The kiwi bird design looked good on the small round tin, and the name was easy to see and attractive to look at'.

Rats! I thought it was rendered from actual flightless birds.

I guess I can keep the dozen or so frozen kiwis I got at the market in my freezer for our next BBQ then. Did youse guys know they are mostly dark meat?

I bet youse guys put mint jelly on them though - huh?

"Throw another kiwi on the Bar-B".

gary67
29-08-2010, 09:57 AM
I much prefer Pukeko or Weka on the BBQ, way easier to catch and in plentiful supply

mikebartnz
29-08-2010, 09:47 PM
:clap

Yeah was much better than any skype / msn call I've ever had!
Have you tried Ekiga (http://ekiga.org/) yet Chill.

Chilling_Silence
29-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Yes, used Ekiga with SIP. It's not bad :)

SurferJoe46
30-08-2010, 03:24 AM
I much prefer Pukeko or Weka on the BBQ, way easier to catch and in plentiful supply

How do the penguins taste? I imagine they're much like the US Spotted owl or Bald Eagle, which are in short supply as I only have a few of each in my larder.

Speedy Gonzales
30-08-2010, 10:25 AM
How do the penguins taste?

You'll probably get shot if you tried

gary67
30-08-2010, 08:27 PM
How do the penguins taste? I imagine they're much like the US Spotted owl or Bald Eagle, which are in short supply as I only have a few of each in my larder.

Fishy

SurferJoe46
31-08-2010, 04:20 AM
Fishy

Bet so!

Did you ever get a downwind sniff of seals?

I used to see them all the time on buoys and quay walls outside of harbors when I was fishing off Catalina Island - stink-o.

zqwerty
31-08-2010, 04:54 AM
I have picked up a penguin, it was a feeling like picking up a muscular little dog, strong and robust, nothing like a chicken or a rooster or turkey feels, which is relatively lightweight for their size.

SurferJoe46
31-08-2010, 06:02 AM
I have picked up a penguin, it was a feeling like picking up a muscular little dog, strong and robust, nothing like a chicken or a rooster or turkey feels, which is relatively lightweight for their size.

I hope the slurpbots don't catch your admission!

Interesting that they feel that way. I felt that in a seagull once too.

I actually caught a seagull once on a long cast off a pier. He grabbed my lure in flight and then the fight was on!

There I was, fighting a gull trying to dislodge a set of dual treble hooks and still fly away. Kinda funny, fighting something that wasn't in the water with a fishing pole.

Pointing a pole skyward was just odd!

It was a 'catch-n-release' only I figured and let him go - but he was a fighter! Wheww!

I raise chickens and turkeys - so I feel that tight package of bird too from time to time.

I usually pick up my birds by the feet and dust their bottoms and vents with Sevin (carbarol) for mite control. But I also try to check them over too for any other problems and they are tight and firm - they feel like they will be delicious later on.

gary67
31-08-2010, 07:41 AM

Did you take it down to the strip in Chch? :devil