PDA

View Full Version : Lost key.. Need to access old 'C Drive'

R.M.
27-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Today's problem is that I have paid for a program (PicturesToExe), but have lost the email with the key in it (lost when exporting/importing emails onto new 'puter). The company concerned aren't answering their emails, but I have contacted someone in their forum who suggests:

if the old c drive is still workable -- you need somebody to guide your thru unhooking the new c drive and rebooting the old c drive and run the tool to read the old registry for the key

At their instructions I have downloaded a program called KeyCopy (it searches your C Drive looking for the info for this programme). I have the old 'C Drive' set up as an external HDD at the moment.

So - how do I do this (without pulling my new computer apart so soon...).

Thanks for help and suggestions around this. :)

GameJunkie
27-08-2010, 08:02 PM
magic jellybean??

Snorkbox
27-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Can you boot off an external USB drive as a choice in the BIOS? Is the old C: still bootable? Try going into BIOS and selecting the boot order as USB first. If it does boot then install the keyfinder and run it.

Otherwise if the Emails are still on the old C: you might try booting off the new C and getting the emails out of whatever program the email stored them in. What was the old email program on the old C?

R.M.
27-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Thanks for your replies. Jogs the memory a little, and gives me some ideas. However - something tells me I should leave this until tomorrow (always a bit weary on Friday night, and prone to make erratic decisions...:( )

Any more thoughts and support would be welcome, though. :)

gary67
27-08-2010, 08:53 PM
If you do get it to boot which is certainly not a guarantee due the drivers not being the right ones for the new motherboard, then you could also try SIW as this will display keys for most if not all installed software

feersumendjinn
27-08-2010, 08:56 PM
You can search your old drive for your key (if the program was installed)as an internal or external (done this myself) drive, with MagicalJellyBean KeyFinder
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
and using the Load Hive option

Load Hive option – allows you to load the registry hive of another Windows installation. To use, put the hard drive in a working machine (must also be Windows 2000, XP or Vista) or use Windows PE (not tested, should work) and click Load Hive. Then point it to the dead Windows install. If you’re using Windows Vista, Administrator rights are required for this feature. You may have to right click on the Keyfinder and run as Administrator.

Speedy Gonzales
27-08-2010, 09:19 PM
This might work

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

R.M.
28-08-2010, 11:31 AM
I think all is OK now (in the cold light of day - after a good sleep!).

Mea culpa.... :crying

Thanks for listening to my anxious ramblings! :)