PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard/Control issue

DeSade
27-08-2010, 12:20 PM
A collegue of mine has a keyboard problem.
We have plugged in two others to test and both have the same problem so its not the board itself.

When he hits the shift key whatever he has copied to clipboard (held on the mouse) pastes into where hes typing.

I think hes turned something on by mistake, can anyone shed some light on this?

inphinity
27-08-2010, 01:12 PM
whatever he has copied to clipboard (held on the mouse)

This bit confuses me. Can you elaborate please? Do you mean he is holding something on the mouse - maybe a programmable key - that could be altering keypresses?

DeSade
27-08-2010, 01:15 PM
No not at all.
Standard keyboard no bells or whistles.

What I mean is he right clicks and copies (held on the mouse) but whenever he hits shift key it pastes that material.

wainuitech
27-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Sticky keys Maybe (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/tips/le1.mspx)? "if" it is on you can also press both shift keys simultaneously to turn it off.

inphinity
27-08-2010, 01:25 PM
wainui: stickykeys should only mean that the status of Shift is toggled by keypress (instead of holding down). I could see Stickykeys being relevant if pressing V pasted (CTRL stickykey), but not sure it fits with this scenario.

DeSade: whether he uses the mouse or keyboard to initiate the copy is irrelevant. is it a media keyboard or anything special like that, which has Function toggle etc 9e.g. F5 can become an Open shortcut etc like a lot of the MS keyboards)?

DeSade
27-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Its a basic HP keyboard supplied with out-of-the-box standard business machines.
Very bland.

wainuitech
27-08-2010, 03:59 PM
wainui: stickykeys should only mean that the status of Shift is toggled by keypress (instead of holding down). I could see Stickykeys being relevant if pressing V pasted (CTRL stickykey), but not sure it fits with this scenario.
The reason I suggested sticky keys is I have seen that happen before, took damn ages to figure out what was done.

Since it does the same action on two other Keyboards, then its got to be a setting on the PC someplace. Almost as if the shift key has been mapped to the paste command. Normally you need a combination of keys (several available)

Edited: If nothing is found, keep an eye on this forum (http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/91147-shift-key-auto-copying-clipboard.html) Exact same problem.

Edited2: where you say held on the mouse -- Does that mean hes holding down the mouse key as well ??

If so
Paste Plain can also be performed by clicking the mouse's middle button (i.e., the scroll wheel button) while pressing the Shift key if option Middle Mouse Button Paste is enabled. IF the mouse keys are being held, there may be some function activated - check the mouse settings.

DeSade
27-08-2010, 05:09 PM
No the mouse button was not depressed, what I mean by held on the mouse is the copy was on the mouse ready for pasting, or it is more accurate to say it is on the clipboard.

wainuitech
27-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Run system Restore back to before this started happening, hopefully it should undo what ever was fiddled with.

Agent_24
27-08-2010, 11:40 PM
Shift+Insert do the same thing as Ctrl+V

Possibly the Insert key is jammed or something?