PDA

View Full Version : External 1TB seagate expansion drive not showing up

nofam
27-08-2010, 09:25 AM
My brother in Perth just bought one of the above, and it refuses to show up on the laptop he's connected it to (it's a 3.5" drive, so I've confirmed he has the external PSU turned on).

The laptop (XP, SP3) shows nothing in Device Manager, and there's nothing showing in Disk Management either?

Any ideas? He's now tried it on a second (brand new) laptop, and still no go, but I'm loathe to believe it's stuffed out-of-the-box.

Cellux
27-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Does he hear it spin up when he turns it's power on?
It may be screwed. I've had bad experiences with so many external HDDs.

Return on warranty. Don't open it up, it'll void it.

Speedy Gonzales
27-08-2010, 09:51 AM
Is it SATA 1 or 2, or 3?? Maybe he brought the wrong 1? Is it SATA ?

nofam
27-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Is it SATA 1 or 2, or 3?? Maybe he brought the wrong 1? Is it SATA ?

Not sure I follow Speedy - the external HDD in question is USB 2.0?

Just thinking about this more, I vaguely remember having a similar issue a while back with another PC, and it was something to do with the number of USB root hub entries in Device Manager or something, and deleting them all & letting the OS reinstall them fixed it?

Speedy Gonzales
27-08-2010, 11:05 AM
Its not connected to a USB hub is it? If it is, plug it into a USB port

You could try deleting all the entries under USB controllers in device manager then reboot. See if that fixes it

MrDrifter
27-08-2010, 02:00 PM
One thing to check is if there are any Mapped drives or other devices that use drive letters.
If the drive shows up in Device Manager but not in My Computer it can often be another device using E: F: G: etc...
Windows looks for the next free drive letter but it sometimes has issues with Mapped drives or certain devices.

nofam
27-08-2010, 03:23 PM
One thing to check is if there are any Mapped drives or other devices that use drive letters.
If the drive shows up in Device Manager but not in My Computer it can often be another device using E: F: G: etc...
Windows looks for the next free drive letter but it sometimes has issues with Mapped drives or certain devices.

Yes, I read something similar when looking on google, but as it's not even appearing in the drive management console, I can't reallocate it a letter?

Its not connected to a USB hub is it? If it is, plug it into a USB port

You could try deleting all the entries under USB controllers in device manager then reboot. See if that fixes it

So I delete all the entries under USB?

Speedy Gonzales
27-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Yup under USB controllers

Robocop88
02-09-2010, 04:12 AM
My brother in Perth just bought one of the above, and it refuses to show up on the laptop he's connected it to (it's a 3.5" drive, so I've confirmed he has the external PSU turned on).

The laptop (XP, SP3) shows nothing in Device Manager, and there's nothing showing in Disk Management either?

Any ideas? He's now tried it on a second (brand new) laptop, and still no go, but I'm loathe to believe it's stuffed out-of-the-box.
---------------
Hi there,
You need to download Disk Wizard from http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=DiscWizard&vgnextoid=d9fd4a3cdde5c010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

if Link does not work - choose Disk Wizard from the Seagate.com website

After installing the software and running thru' it will help to recognise the Drive.

Cheers!