PDA

View Full Version : WinXP Tablet vs other OS

Nomad
27-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Hi, if I install a diff normal version of OS onto a Tablet Laptop what would I be missing? Will all the features still be available. What's missing? The manufacturer does appear to have software / drivers for the touch screen on their site.

Cellux
27-08-2010, 09:38 AM
Windows 7 was designed with touch screens in mind. If the drivers are available and you can afford to upgrade, there's an option.

SolMiester
27-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Also the screen orientation ablilty

The Error Guy
27-08-2010, 12:14 PM
try it on a virtual OS or spare partition (reccomend the partition way) and play around. also try to find out who manufactured the screen, they should have drivers.

What brand and model is the tablet?

Nomad
27-08-2010, 12:21 PM
it arrived today, so heading home soon :D

IBM Thinkpad X61 Tablet.
It might have the original XP Tablet on it or maybe Vista Business, will see. Who knows maybe I would be content with XP. Have x64 Win7 on my PC.

I can just install it eh .. cos I think I have the original recovery CD.

Nomad
27-08-2010, 04:06 PM
it came with win7 ultimate, prob not legit so i used the recovery cd and i got vista ultimate. i may keep this for a while and then maybe upgrade to win7.

in terms of drivers, they don't list winxp standard, only winxp tablet edition. so i guess i may lose some functionality?

Agent_24
27-08-2010, 11:37 PM
So get XP Tablet edition?

Nomad
28-08-2010, 09:20 AM
xp tablet edition is not sold by itself, i guess it might be possible from the manufacturer, so i will just use vista then maybe upgrade to win7.
but it prob be $$, for those who have vista and it didn't come with a cd, to get the cd when you already have a license it might cost you $50usd for admin.

tablet and media editions are not sold, they just come with the hardware.

The Error Guy
28-08-2010, 08:58 PM
And they ask why do people download/pirate stuff? because you con't buy it!!!!

Someone needs to start selling/releasing an opensource tablet OS. seriously. A bunch of students can't be the first. if we keep at it we might be though...

Agent_24
28-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Linux would probably be fine

It is important to note that many touch screen sub-notebook computers can run any of several Linux distributions with little customization.

X.org now supports screen rotation and tablet input through Wacom drivers, and handwriting recognition software from both the Qt-based Qtopia and GTK+-based Internet Tablet OS provide promising free and open source systems for future development.

Open source note taking software in Linux includes applications such as Xournal (which supports PDF file annotation), Gournal (a Gnome based note taking application), and the Java-based Jarnal (which supports handwriting recognition as a built-in function). Before the advent of the aforementioned software, many users had to rely on on-screen keyboards and alternative text input methods like Dasher. There is a stand alone handwriting recognition program available, CellWriter, which requires users to write letters separately in a grid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tablet_pc#Linux

Nomad
29-08-2010, 09:39 AM
anyone like their tablet laptop?

i may sell it to my bro and me to get another one, a ultraportable at 1.3kg the same series at this tablet one but it weighs 300g more.

basically i find it sitting on my lap in tablet mode a bit too hot than ideal. and the stylus pen is not that accurate, slow and cumbersome.

you think a single core 1.5Ghz Pentium-M is enough with a max of 1.5GB RAM?