PDA

View Full Version : Another fatal

ubergeek85
27-08-2010, 12:53 AM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/4065968/Two-dead-after-Christchurch-crash

also;

Press Release

Shortly after 8.00p.m. this evening, Police detected a speeding motorist travelling at 89kph along Ferry Road, Christchurch.

Police turned and chased the vehicle following it into Fitzgerald
Avenue.

The offending vehicle pulled up and stopped at a red light at the intersection of St Asaph Street and Fitzgerald.

When the traffic light went green the offending vehicle started to pull over to the left hand side of the road. As it did this it then accelerated away along Fitzgerald Avenue.

The vehicle went through Tuam, Lichfield, Cashel and Hereford Streets which were all green.

The lights at the next intersection were red, Worchester St. The offending vehicle slowed down and when the lights went green it accelerated away again.

The next lights at Gloucester were also red however the offending driver drove straight through the lights and collided with the victim’s vehicle.

Police Area Commander Inspector Malcolm Johnston says “Police were duty bound to stop this driver. Travelling at nearly 90kph along Ferry Road is a recipe for disaster. He could have killed anyone at any stage".

As a result of the crash a 73 year old male and a female passenger have died.

"Blame for this tragedy lies entirely with this driver. He was signalled to stop and he should have stopped. He is a disqualified driver and well known to Christchurch Police."

"I have spoken with the officers involved and they are devastated".

Malcolm Johnston
Area Commander
Christchurch Police

Tut tut tut...

Why is it the innocent always die, and the guilty live? I'm up for that 8" spike in the steering wheel idea posted by KarameaDave (I think).

Snorkbox
27-08-2010, 01:06 AM
I'm also advised via another source that the vehicle doing the runner had no rego or WOF either.

ubergeek85
27-08-2010, 01:08 AM
Doesn't surprise me, if he's already disqualified, he's got no reason to keep that other stuff up to date.

sam m
27-08-2010, 07:17 AM
What would have been the worst penalty he would have got for "driving while disqualified"? That would now pale to what he is going to get now. I hope there is a charge greater than "dangerous driving causing death" they can throw at him.

gary67
27-08-2010, 07:44 AM
Wish there was Vehicular homicide like the USA has

Digby
27-08-2010, 07:51 AM
What is needed is CUMULATIVE sentencing.

Then he would get
Speeding (the original reason he was stopped)
Driving while disqualified
Failing To Stop
Going through a red light
Manslaughter 1 person
Manslaughter 2nd person

Plus make him pay for his rego and no wof
Plus make him pay for the damage to the other car.
Plus make him pay for his hospital costs.

If a few people like him went to jail for say 30 years (in a tough jail) I don't think many other people would do what he did.

Lawrence
27-08-2010, 08:14 AM
Absolute Tragedy,this piece of crap should get a bullet in the head
Hope this total national support for a tougher stance on these repeat offenders

Digby would have seen this http://www.bayofplentytimes.co.nz/local/news/bay-man-had-seven-drink-drive-convictions/3920418/

Least this person won't be taking anyone with him from now on

pctek
27-08-2010, 08:16 AM
What would have been the worst penalty he would have got for "driving while disqualified"? That would now pale to what he is going to get now. .

No it won't. Look at all the others - he'll get the usual smack on the wrist.

Zippity
27-08-2010, 09:28 AM
I hope that someone will be able to get passed the guard on his hospital door and slip a length of cold steel into his throat.

Vermin like this don't deserve any more chances :(

KarameaDave
27-08-2010, 09:53 AM
It's a terrible tragedy, BTW I don't remember suggesting the spike idea...maybe a good one though!

prefect
27-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Judges dont seem to have much of a problem with it though.
Like that chick in Blenheim who did a runner crashed and killed someone, no jail time.
The benchmark was set by this sentencing.
Killing two people as seen by Barlow sentence is no diff than killing one.

Cicero
27-08-2010, 10:02 AM

Then he would get
Speeding (the original reason he was stopped)
Driving while disqualified
Failing To Stop
Going through a red light
Manslaughter 1 person
Manslaughter 2nd person

If a few people like him went to jail for say 30 years (in a tough jail) I don't think many other people would do what he did.

Very sensible Dig,keep up the good work.

autechre
27-08-2010, 10:13 AM

Plus he should be banned from ever driving again or owning a car (Not that I really think it would make much difference) and if he's caught driving again, stick him back in jail.

kenj
27-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Things are looking up it appears. I heard a report on the radio that his condition is deteriorating. Die you bastard!!!

Ken

PinoyKiw
27-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Things are looking up it appears. I heard a report on the radio that his condition is deteriorating.

Ken

Been moved to intensive care.....what a waste of bed space.

Sure there must be room in the skip bin out back.

Zippity
27-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Seriously though. I believe more support should be give to the "an eye for an eye" concept.

It is high time that the government came down heavy on these bastards.

To live and let live is PC Bull$4it...............

PaulD
27-08-2010, 12:01 PM

Why leave it all to the government, start with the cars and the way your (as in collective) own kids drive.

The Error Guy
27-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Seriously though. I believe more support should be give to the "an eye for an eye" concept.

To live and let live is PC Bull$4it...............

eye for an eye? waste of a good car. Hospitals are funny places you know. its just like someone to trip and hit the fire alarm whilst he's in an elevator being transfered to surgery... if he was unable to get out he just might die... what a shame.

ubergeek85
27-08-2010, 09:35 PM
It's a terrible tragedy, BTW I don't remember suggesting the spike idea...maybe a good one though!

My bad sorry. Here;
+1
Ban seatbelts and fit every car with a 9" metal spike in the middle of the steering wheel!
See how carefully you would drive then! :)

Die you bastard!!!

x2!

Also got this today (albeit six hours ago);
DOUBLE FATALITY, FITZGERALD AVE AND GLOUCESTER STREET

26 AUGUST 2010

Detective Senior Sergeant HARVEY states that a 22 year old man has been charged with Driving While Disqualified. He will appear at the Christchurch District Court on Tuesday, 31 August 2010.

He states that a number of witnesses have come forward regarding the pursuit and subsequent crash between a blue Ford Mondeo and a red Daihatsu Terios.

Detective Senior Sergeant HARVEY states that there may still be a number of people who have witnessed either the pursuit or the crash, and he asks that those people contact Detective Sergeant Mark REID at Christchurch Central Police Station on 363 7400.

The Independent Police Conduct Authority are over-viewing the criminal investigation conducted by Detective Senior Sergeant HARVEY.

The Detective Senior Sergeant states that further charges maybe laid against the driver of the Ford Mondeo.

Detective Senior Sergeant HARVEY also released the name of the two deceased as:

Deidre Valerie JORDAN, 67 years
Norman Richard FITT, 73 years

Detective Senior Sergeant HARVEY states that the Police and Christchurch Victim Support are supporting the families involved.

Detective Senior Sergeant HARVEY is not available for further media comment.

Damn fords!