PDA

View Full Version : Raid 0 driver question

smithinator
26-08-2010, 05:39 PM
HI, I am going to set up a raid 0 config with two 500gb caviar black drives, my question is what driver will i need to install so that during windows setup it will recognize the array? i have windows vista 64bit and an upgrade to windows 7 64bit and my motherboard is a gigabyte p55a-ud4p. I found these on the gigabyte site but i don't know which raid driver to get.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3238&dl=1#dl

P.s sorry for the basic question i have never attempted a raid config before :confused:

Nomad
26-08-2010, 06:07 PM
me thinking is this one ..

GIGABYTE SATA2 Preinstall driver (For AHCI / RAID Mode)
Note: Press F6 during Windows setup to read from floppy.

Cos they are all kinda small. the others looks way too large, but i agree the GB's site is not v clear.

smithinator
26-08-2010, 06:09 PM
should i get the vista or win 7 version as i first must install vista before i install win 7 (or is the driver the same for both?) and do i have to install a driver in windows once i have it installed? and if so which one?

Nomad
26-08-2010, 06:18 PM
from all its details on the GB site, it looks like the same - same version, same date, same size.

maybe someone else can chime in re: the two windows. maybe you could install the win7 straight? maybe it request the vista cd for validation. if not i thinkt he sensible way would be install vista use the driver (appears the same) .. then upgrade without needing another driver.

smithinator
26-08-2010, 06:26 PM
this is going to sound like a stupid question but which region should i select out of Asia, China, America, Europe? What are all those other files for in the Sata Raid section for?

Nomad
26-08-2010, 06:29 PM
region should be NZ there, you may be able to click the map instead of using that drop down menu. NZ is generally right near the bottom of that list with Fiji as well ... we're on the same time zone.

those files are for in windows installation. dunno what exactly thou. maybe driver stuff.

smithinator
26-08-2010, 06:31 PM
sorry i mean when downloading the drivers from the gigabyte site the only options i have are Asia, China, America, Europe

Nomad
26-08-2010, 06:32 PM
oh that, doesn't matter, just diff servers. i generally pick USA, works better sometimes, the Asia one sometime gets server busy.

smithinator
26-08-2010, 06:33 PM
thanks very much for your help :thanks

Snorkbox
26-08-2010, 06:34 PM
Before you get carried away with RAID you have to ask yourself why why would you in my opinion.

See here:-

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=830&page=9

smithinator
26-08-2010, 06:45 PM
I want to use raid to speed up apps/games/windows (which all of the tests ive seen have proved) as well as giving me the convenience of having one big drive in stead of two smaller drives, i have read many reviews and the fail rate is very low admittedly higher than just having separate drives but i believe it is still in an exceptable range

Snorkbox
26-08-2010, 06:49 PM
Just so long as you know that if one of the two drives dies so does your data. All of it!

Unless of course you do regular backups.

smithinator
26-08-2010, 06:50 PM
i don't really have large amounts of important data and any data i do have is backed up in multiples :)

Deimos
26-08-2010, 06:54 PM
If you are using the Intel RAID Windows should detect it just fine.

Also, for the person that suggested "press f6 during setup" that is no longer an option in Windows 7 (or Vista) once you get to the disk part of the setup process there is a button to click for additional storage drivers.

Nomad
26-08-2010, 06:57 PM
If you are using the Intel RAID Windows should detect it just fine.

Also, for the person that suggested "press f6 during setup" that is no longer an option in Windows 7 (or Vista) once you get to the disk part of the setup process there is a button to click for additional storage drivers.

that was a direct paste from GB's site :blush: under their Win7/Vista drivers.

27-08-2010, 01:30 PM
I want to use raid to speed up apps/games/windows (which all of the tests ive seen have proved) as well as giving me the convenience of having one big drive in stead of two smaller drives, i have read many reviews and the fail rate is very low admittedly higher than just having separate drives but i believe it is still in an exceptable range

hmmn, the tests Ive seen show no worthwhile REAL WORLD improvement.

SolMiester
27-08-2010, 02:39 PM
HI, I am going to set up a raid 0 config with two 500gb caviar black drives, my question is what driver will i need to install so that during windows setup it will recognize the array? i have windows vista 64bit and an upgrade to windows 7 64bit and my motherboard is a gigabyte p55a-ud4p. I found these on the gigabyte site but i don't know which raid driver to get.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3238&dl=1#dl

P.s sorry for the basic question i have never attempted a raid config before :confused:

I would have to advise against RAID 0....any performance gain from 2 HDD is negligible and you only double your chances of failure, if you want speed get a SSD, if you want RAID, go 5, or 10, or for fault tolerance 1...