PDA

View Full Version : Modem causing Blue Screen on Windows 7

turtle63
26-08-2010, 11:13 AM
My client has just got an MF636 Usb modem from Telecom.
She has a fairly new computer with 34bit Windows 7 on it, she had no issues until starting to use the modem.
This installed correctly and she could get a connection, then when closing Internet explorer and disconnecting from the connection the computer would shut down and Blue screen with the error Reference_by_Pointer.
This is also a random thing and doesn't do it every time :(

Does anyone have ideas on this at all?

In the solutions area it indicates that there is no driver for this device and that is all.

Are these things not compatible with Windows 7 at all?
Telecom told her it was her computer !!

Would really appreciate some feedback on this guys thanks

GameJunkie
26-08-2010, 11:17 AM
disconnecting from the connection?

Speedy Gonzales
26-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Did it install any drivers?? If theyre not 64 bit. It probably wont work properly. Buy something else that isnt USB. Or if that version of Win7 supports XP mode, use that instead

Nomad
26-08-2010, 11:26 AM
According to Micorosoft it says you can install the basic modem driver to get basic functionality. Ref: Microsoft Certified Professional Certification.

Not tried it however. Maybe a bit of a rant thou :D but it's official :thumbs:

wainuitech
26-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Try Installing the Windows 7 drivers.

According to This page (http://www.wireless-driver.com/download/other/zte-mf636-3g-windows-7-driver-utility.htm) they are about 1/3 of the way down.

As it says on that page
Windows 7 Drivers are not native to the MF636.

SolMiester
26-08-2010, 12:29 PM
I use this these for our laptops, x86 7 enterprise, no problem, did she allow the updates to get the newer drivers?

turtle63
26-08-2010, 12:54 PM
I will try and get out to see her today and install those updated drivers, it seemed to install ok and said it installed the software ok.
Her version of 7 doesn't support XP mode.
It blue screens right after you disconnect from xtra.

Hopefully the updated drivers will fix the issue, will let you know, thanks Wainuitech

Why do Telecom sell these things if they know they arent going to work without getting the updated drivers?

wainuitech
26-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Telecom

Nothing else needs explaining :lol:

Personally I have seen many problems with USB modems, not just the ones Telecom suggest.

turtle63
28-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Installed the new drivers and it still blue screened after, not every time tho.
Decided to get her to use Firefox instead of IE and that seemed to be better, the only time it blue screened after that and was only once, was when i went to restart.
Told her to try it over the weekend and get back to me so we will see.
She may look at farmside if this keeps causing issues

turtle63
06-09-2010, 04:11 PM
Apparently she still has the same issue with this device but not as bad using Firefox instead. Anyone got any other ideas apart from chucking it out :)
There is no broadband in her area so this is the only issue as she cant afford Farmside at this point.
Are there any updated T-sticks at for for Windows 7 after this 1?
She only has Windows home so no chance of XP mode

PPp
06-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Is it 32 bit or 64bit Windows7 and is the connection dailup?

gary67
06-09-2010, 07:58 PM
There is always the XP Win7 home premium workaround here (http://www.vmlite.com/index.php/products/vmlite-xp-mode)