PDA

View Full Version : Slow loading web pages



Cellux
26-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Customer came in with a problem happening with their Safari web browser.

Going to web pages, it takes a good 1-5 minutes to load a page, but once it's loaded it loads pages in it's domain fine.

e.g. loading Facebook, it takes awhile to load originally, but once it has you can browse without it slowing down again or lag, however when you go to another domain it takes that amount of time to load again.

Edit: Hmm, a strange update. When viewing the page source, it seems like it's only half loaded (Cut off in the middle of words or syntax). After refreshing the page, it loads fine, just as it should originally.

Malware Bytes scan came back with no positives.

It had a wireless card on there which I've removed as it had no aerial (And from what I hear, that can burn them out and cause problems)

Any suggestions?


Note: This is 19 days after the computer came in for a tune up and the customer had barely touched it*.


*Supposedly

nedkelly
26-08-2010, 10:16 AM
haha supposedly, I have learnt to not trust what people say about stuff like that

kahawai chaser
26-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Perhaps some sites or processes are trying to connect/or running when loading sites/domains. Test with netstats commands (http://labnol.blogspot.com/2007/09/is-your-computer-connecting-to-websites.html), or a utility like process explorer (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx) (or the simpler task manager to check file sizes in performance tab, e.g. if page file is abnormally high, and file sizes of processes in the process tab) or what's running net (http://www.whatsrunning.net/) or similar.

I found some rogue screen saver sites were trying to connect, causing slow loading of home page. Also the PF usage was high (~ 1 GB) in performance tab in task manager. I fixed by adding to hosts file, then later by blocking with firewall. Hijack This did not appear to detect the sites.

Cellux
26-08-2010, 11:23 AM
Doesn't look like anything is there.

Edit: Funny, considering I haven't changed anything, but it seems to be working better now after refreshing the first page. I'm now confused.

Edit2: Oh, it's also Vista.

Edit3: It has ESET Smart Security on there. Reinstalling now and will test. Had the 3.0 GUI.