PDA

View Full Version : Some wireless questions

Nomad
26-08-2010, 08:35 AM
If the laptop has infrastructure mode, if I am not connecting to a hotspot, it's safe right?

If the laptop has infrastructure mode and I happen to connect to a hotspot (be it rogue), some people may have shared folder set to "everyone" full access - can they access everything? Again some people may have a login called "guest" and "administrator" with no password.

So is it a good idea to disable simple file sharing, set up passwords for the administrator and maybe for each of the users too (thou they would need to guess the user's login name first).

Thanks.

nedkelly
26-08-2010, 08:43 AM
Depending on the OS on the laptop, vista asks where you are (Home, Work and Public) when you first connect and adjusts the network settings for each one, I think when you say public is disables file sharing, but not 100% sure. I think all devices have infrastructure mode on them. It is always a good idea to give the administrator (root) account a password.

Nomad
28-08-2010, 08:36 AM
i've added passwords.

under peer to peear networking, each computer username must be stored on each of the computers. cool. re: the administrator account, b/c each computer is owned by a diff person, the passwords might not be the same. how does that work under peer to peer? does it not work then? i mean you cannot have a couple of the same username "administrator" with diff passwords right?