PDA

View Full Version : Question about overheating

Timbo
25-08-2010, 09:49 PM
Is 73C normal for a GPU temperature fresh from startup?

I'm having freezing and shutdown issues with my computer. I took it into the store and the guy said the CPU is faulty and running hot at around 60C and suggested I get a replacement.

But now that I check the temps myself. (sensor view program) I can only get a GPU temp and its 73C. Is this normal? Did the guy at the shop get confused? I can't see the CPU temperature in this software program or BIOS.

jd2759
25-08-2010, 09:51 PM
sorry wrong thread

SP8's
25-08-2010, 11:20 PM
Intel Pentium 2.4MHz is running around 55F .... but I'm in Dunedin and it's bloody cold tonight !!!

I suggest it would depend on the make, speed, etc .... you'd have to provide more info and compare to someone running the same CPU as you.

Deimos
26-08-2010, 12:23 AM
60C does not mean you have a faulty CPU, in fact, temp shouldn't matter much at all, all CPUs have a TDP and have built in mechanisms to prevent them from burning out and/or exceeding the TDP.

73C could be considered high for a GPU, especially "idle", however still below the TDP, most modern video cards manage fan speed based on temps, mainly in order to reduce noise levels, so while idle temps may be high, when playing a game for example the fan speed should increase, preventing the GPU from getting too hot.

Thebananamonkey
26-08-2010, 03:48 PM
What hardware are you running? GPUs do run hotter than CPUs but 73C does sound hot for idle.

I'd suggest running a torture test using something like Furmark whilst monitoring temps with whatever program you're currently using. Just to check that it's not the CPU, it would pay to do the same (not at the same time!) with Prime95.

Let us know what sort of temps you're getting after about 30min of either. If you have any crashes/instability, let us know.

Have you done any overclocking?

Timbo
26-08-2010, 10:31 PM
There is no overclocking. The most these computers are used for is runescape and those flash games on facebook:S

I have to wait untill Saterday to get the model of CPU and GPU.