PDA

View Full Version : Network printing .. slowness

Nomad
24-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Why do manufacturers release semi office printers like a laser MF unit that takes 5min to warm up? Is this standard practice? When the printer sleeps it takes another 3-5mins to warm back up again....

Then they release 32bit Win7 drivers only, so the only way we can print now run downstairs turn the PC on (with the printer), run back upstairs to save as PDF and run downstairs and print it manually.

inphinity
24-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Old printer?

Nomad
24-08-2010, 02:25 PM
2006 printer (Canon). They have Win7 x32 drivers but not x64 bit. But then again, I have a portable bubblejet (Canon) from 1998 and it gets detected by Win7 automatically.

It's not the spool delay. You turn the thing on right .. and it takes 5min to warm up before it responds to the computer.

wainuitech
24-08-2010, 02:31 PM
My laser MFC does the Same, but not 5 minutes, maybe 1 or 2 at the most, its a Networked printer Eg: connected to the router not any PC.

But its a power saving measure.

Nomad
24-08-2010, 02:35 PM
Fantastic eh .. boss wants a print or photocopier, oh let's wait 5mins please have a cup of tea.

CYaBro
24-08-2010, 02:48 PM
What make / model is it?
We generally use Brother laser printers for smaller offices and they don't take that long to warm up when turned on.

Nomad
24-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Canon MF5630 I think the number is.

MushHead
24-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Interesting - the Canon page says:

Fast output speed
There's no waiting around as documents are printed or copied at a fast 18 pages per minute. Thanks to Canon's SURF technology, the printer has virtually no warm-up time, providing you with instant prints.

Maybe they're telling porkies, or is it a software (spooler?) issue?

Speedy Gonzales
24-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Try what it says here

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-1054937.html

Nomad
24-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Ah ok for recollection maybe it's not the delay on the print function, it's the scanning function. You need to wait a few mins before you hear a bump noise before the scanner works. :p

But the thing is the printer cannot even be networked, when the HPs can and the v old Canon can but this not so old Canon cannot, they (Canon) release Win7 x32 drivers but not x64 drivers. Tried all avenues incl internet Win7 drivers while printer is plugged in (then hoping to revert back to a network printer). Just haven't tried using some other printer and hope it would work. Printing a single page now seems to be like a 10min job.

wainuitech
24-08-2010, 06:04 PM
Cant be shared ?? Is it connected Via USB ?

Printers in W7 share slightly differently - if you right click the printer / printer properties, the sharing tab should be there.

As for the 64 Drivers -- them's the breaks with a 64 bit OS -- not all printers will have drivers created for them.
You need to wait a few mins before you hear a bump noise before the scanner works Most scanners do need to warm up.

Nomad
24-08-2010, 06:17 PM
Yes, it's USB. It's currently plugged into a Win2k system b/c there are no drivers for x64 Win7. Win2k has it shared.

On the other PC. It is x64 OS. Networked printer cannot be connected, it request a driver I think then I moved the printer upstairs,plug it in and try the win7 internet driver thing, cannot find it.

Canon only released a Win7 x32 driver. That does not worked. Tried.

This scanner takes ages to warm up compared to my Epson V700. You could go upstairs make a cup of coffee (provided the water already boiled) and you still may need to wait.

gary67
24-08-2010, 08:09 PM
I disabled the my canon feature in Ccleaner from the startup list and then found it would take 3-4 mins to get a print job done so re enabled it back to 10-15 secs. My printer is connected to a print server/ switch

Speedy Gonzales
24-08-2010, 08:58 PM
I use a canon printer here too. But dont use a print server. Its just connected to a switch so all 3 PC's can print to it. Must say it prints pretty fast. And its a LOT better printing photos (at least they look more real than the brother)

Nomad
25-08-2010, 09:29 AM
Maybe that's why some business still use old OS. Heard one larger business still uses Windows 98. Some of the larger govt depts just went to Windows XP.

wainuitech
25-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Using an Older OS at least they know certain items will work.

The bigger problem is not so much Windows 7, its the 32 or 64 Bit software.

There are still many problems with drivers available for 64bit and older hardware.

FAB
25-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Slightly OT but I have so wanted to lay a complaint with the ASA (i think they'd be the ones) over the (mainly) Brother adverts on TV where they show a printer printing out a lovely - for example - A4 photo in full detail, and it's obviously coming out just so fast that they've set it up for a paper feed before filming, or have speed the film up.

I probably won't complain as life is busy and who wants to waste time, but still it annoys me.

WarNox
25-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Try adding it to a PC via a share on another computer and directly using the IP, see if the same issue is apparent with both connections. If connecting to a TS/Citrix server to print try using it as a session printer.

You need to determine weather its the printer or a network issue.