PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 hates my floppy drive and disks

Agent_24
24-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Just when I thought I was getting used to Windows 7 after beating the taskbar into submission, with Win7 taskbar tweaker so it looks and works just like the good old XP one....

Windows 7 refuses to format my floppy disks!

At first I thought the drive was stuffed, so I swapped it - same problem. Tried a 3rd drive, no good there. It was all getting suspicious so I tried a known good USB floppy - same problem!

Verified the disk was perfectly OK on another machine, tried again, no go.

So by this time I knew something was wrong... Booted into good old XP, tried formatting, WORKED PERFECTLY.

What is going on here??

SolMiester
24-08-2010, 01:24 PM
I have a HP USB server floppy drive I use when I require floppy disk access, works no problems here!

Is XP part of a dual boot on the same hardware?

pctek
24-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Er..haven't ever needed to try a floppy on a Win7 system. Perhaps it's saying what is this old thing you have inserted??

Terry Porritt
24-08-2010, 02:09 PM
My Win 7 formats a floppy ok for what it's worth. Does Device Manager say 'Standard floppy disk controller' is working properly?

inphinity
24-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I had similar problems getting my punch cards to work under Win7. Got it eventually though.

Did you check that all drivers are installed correctly? It may also be an odd floppy-related BIOS setting that WinXP and Win7 interpret differently.

Nomad
24-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Bill Gates want you to buy everything new ..... perhaps they would do away with the keyboard :rolleyes:

Agent_24
24-08-2010, 02:48 PM
I have a HP USB server floppy drive I use when I require floppy disk access, works no problems here!

Is XP part of a dual boot on the same hardware?

Yes, dual boot, so exactly the same hardware.

A standard 1.44MB floppy drive on an MSI 790GX-G65 motherboard.

My Win 7 formats a floppy ok for what it's worth. Does Device Manager say 'Standard floppy disk controller' is working properly?

No problems in device manager.

Yeah, I had similar problems getting my punch cards to work under Win7. Got it eventually though.

Did you check that all drivers are installed correctly? It may also be an odd floppy-related BIOS setting that WinXP and Win7 interpret differently.

If there is a driver problem then Windows managed to screw it up itself, floppy disk drive support has been included in ... oh everything? since.. forever?

In BIOS the floppy drive is set to enabled, and the correct capacity is selected.

Bryan
24-08-2010, 03:27 PM
I would assume that you checked MY Computer to see that the floppy has been identified.

Speedy Gonzales
24-08-2010, 03:36 PM
Looks like its an issue, esp with AMD systems. http://forums.techarena.in/windows-x64-edition/1265700.htm

It may also be a bug as it says above

It is absolutely a Windows 7 bug. I have three computers, all with AMD processors, that run Vista 32 and 64 bit with no problems. Upon doing a clean install of Windows 7 RC1, the problem of not being able
to do a full format of a floppy appears

Agent_24
24-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Interesting, but the post straight after that someone used an Intel system and had the same problem.

Just to see if the problem was caused by an AMD bug, I built an Intel system
with an i7 820 and an MSI P55 GD65 motherboard. It worked once, or appeared
to work, and so I thought I had discovered evidence for the problem
belonging to AMD. A few days later I tried it again and it did not work. I
proceeded to uninstall all the drivers and apps that I had installed in the
meantime, and that did not help. So, I wiped the drive and installed Windows
7 64bit again. Again the floppy will not format. It will appear to do a
quick format, but it does not do it correctly, and the floppy is corrupted.

Speedy Gonzales
24-08-2010, 03:49 PM
Probably a win7 bug then

Agent_24
24-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Strange though because looking on Google most people with the issue also have AMD\ATI 700 series chipsets like me.

But the, even my USB floppy drive doesn't work either.

I Wonder if Microsoft have anything on their website...

SolMiester
24-08-2010, 03:53 PM
Quick, lets go give abuse in AMD zone...haha...those guys are full of it!

Speedy Gonzales
24-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Looks like a BIOS update may also fix it

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/0d33dd3d-d18c-4e03-b1ca-3fa1cd77cac6

The bottom post, which is also an AMD. The fix was in BIOS 3204 for the mobo in the last post

1. Support new CPUs.
2. Fix EPU runs at "Turbo" when EPU set to "Auto Mode" and without any loading.
3. Fix HDD size may be shown incorrectly when the HDD is bigger than 2.2TB.
4. Fix the floppy drive cannot read or write under Windows 7.

Bryan
24-08-2010, 06:20 PM
Someone on tomshardware.com had sucess by disabling is antivirus and then formatting.

I too had your problem but I can't for the life of me find the answer now. I think Wainuitech came up with the answer at the time. I think it was to do with running a full format, not a quick one!

pctek
24-08-2010, 06:29 PM
Yeah, I had similar problems getting my punch cards to work under Win7. :lol:

Agent_24
24-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Quick, lets go give abuse in AMD zone...haha...those guys are full of it!

If it is the fault of the hardware, it's not AMD's fault, it's ATi's fault, since they are the guys who invented the 600 series chipset. AMD only has their name on it because they bought ATi.

The 700 series is of course just based off the same design so I don't think it's fair to blame AMD for any of it.

Agent_24
31-10-2010, 11:50 AM
The problem is solved!

I contacted MSI and after a bit of confusion they said to disable the high precision event timer (HPET) in BIOS and then try again.

Now the floppy can be formatted just fine in Windows 7.

I have asked if they will provide an updated BIOS to fix this problem, we will have to wait and see...

Agent_24
03-11-2010, 12:05 AM
For the moment we will not release a new bios to fix your issue due to the BIOS spec., you need to manually disable HPET under bios setup. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Issue due to BIOS spec.. what does that even mean? Strange.