PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Office 2007- 60 day free trial

Dadzka
24-08-2010, 11:08 AM
I have purchased a new desktop computer which comes with a pre-loaded 60 day trial version of Microsoft Office 2007. When I use it it either asks that I load a authority number (or somthing) which I presume I have to purchase to validate the copy (and keep). If I ignore this it then tells me I have 15 log ins remaining (decreasing at each use) so I presume it is 15 uses or 60 days whichever come first.

What I want to know is what happens at the end of the 60 days/15 uses? Will the program self destruct and disappear from my system or will I have to get rid of it from my system manually. I presume I will be subject to some intense nagging to purchase in the mean time.

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
24-08-2010, 11:16 AM
It'll probably kill some functions / options in it. After 60 days

inphinity
24-08-2010, 11:31 AM
I believe functionality reverts to that provided by the freely-available Office Viewers.

Cato
24-08-2010, 11:34 AM
You will be able to view documents but you will not be allowed to make any changes.

wainuitech
24-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Once the Trial runs out, it switches to reduced-functionality mode

From Microsoft:
In reduced-functionality mode, programs function similarly to viewers. When a program runs in reduced-functionality mode, many commands are unavailable (dimmed). Therefore, you cannot access those functionalities. Some of the limitations of reduced-functionality mode include the following:

* You cannot create new documents.
* You can view existing documents. However, you cannot edit them.
* You can print documents. However, you cannot save them.

If you had the Office preloaded, then there should also be a Activation Assistant Icon, it may be in the All Programs Listing, BUT it should be on the desktop - this will generate a Trial Product Key that you enter to allow it to run for 60 days.

It "should" have been put in by the manufacture, Its an OEM product.

Dadzka
24-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Thanks for your responses. Not a lot of use after the 60 day trial period then!! I will delete it once the 60 days or 15 uses has been utilised and load an old Microsoft Office 1990 something I have lying around somewhere (assuming it will work with Windows 7).

Cheers

wainuitech
24-08-2010, 12:40 PM
You will run into problems using an older versions of office , anything from pre 2003 .

With Office 2000 it does work ( kind of), but outlook cant remember passwords.

With office 97 you will more than likely open a can of worm and problems.

Several forums report all sorts of strange problems happening with windows 7 after Office 97 is installed. Including breaking User Account Control (UAC).

Depending on what else it breaks, you may have to end up doing a complete reinstall.

CYaBro
24-08-2010, 12:47 PM
As wainuitech said there will be an icon on the desktop called "Activation Assistant", you need to run that.
It may try and force you to download Office 2010 Pro but there is an option at the bottom to get an activation for Office 2007.

pctek
24-08-2010, 01:55 PM
I use Office XP on my Win7 system. never had an issue, although I only use Word and Excel.
As for the trial - it will still be there so I'd go through Programs and Features and remove it and it's activation assistant.
Then use an older one or Open Office.
Unless you want to buy it of course..........

Dadzka
24-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Thanks again - you are correct in stating that there is an activation assistant. Clicked on it briefly and, as you say, it seemed to be pushing Office 2010 purchase so I backed of out ot there. Will look again & get the activation code for the 2007 trial period. I see it certainly pays to ask questions as, if I had fallen back on my "Plan B" to install Office 1990 something, I would probably do some serious damage.

A little learning is a dangerous thing !!!

Cheers

wainuitech
24-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Just been mucking about with the trial activation -- not that I actually need it.

If you open the activation,look down the bottom left hand corner, theres a link to get a trial key for Office 2007 - it checks for a certain patch, which you may have to install. The link to the patch is there - Then once installed, click on continue, enter your email address and up pops a 25 digit key.

26-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Office trial installs alot of other 'crap' associated with Outlook Business contact
manager'. SQL etc. Its just a PITA to uninstall to install the purchased 2010.

In previous version's of outlook I have seen MS updates(Office SP's) autoinstalling the then asking for the Office CD to be inserted . No CD(lost etc) & you are left with a mess to sort out.
Not sure if this could happen with the bundled pre-installed office.

Often the product key quickly gets lost after a online purchase, making re-install
particularly tricky, especially after a HD failure.
You are better off buying a retail/OEM office

wainuitech
26-08-2010, 05:48 PM
When installing Office you can select what items to install. You select custom and sort them out.

You dont need the Office CD after its been installed. Earlier versions ( 2003 comes to mind) would ask for the CD - 2007 & 2010 actually put the complete package on the PC and any repairs / features are done from that - No CD/DVD required.

Losing the Key ?? that's being careless -- its easy enough to store it someplace safe.

PENTIUM
26-08-2010, 11:59 PM
Great when the HDD fails!

wainuitech
27-08-2010, 09:03 AM
If a hard drive fails, you can always download a Trial Version (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/try/try-office-2010-FX101868838.aspx) of the one that you have the key for, and simply use that.

Kind of helps if a person does backups to another source and saves the purchased key as well. :)

27-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Losing the Key ?? that's being careless -- its easy enough to store it someplace safe.

Happens all the time. No cure for stupid (Lazy ??)

software/OS reloads I do that require a online purchased key for Office/Av etc: 50% of the time this key is lost when I need it for a clients PC

Often enough customers cant keep their install/software CD's from getting lost.
I have to remind them its Thousand's of $$ worth of software. Only ever seen 2 companies put the disks in the safe.

Cato
27-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Just go and get OpenOffice!

It's free and it does the job. No need to use some ancient artifact. :)

Agent_24
27-08-2010, 11:36 PM
I would recommend OpenOffice too.

I certainly wouldn't install anything older than Office 97 on anything XP or newer. (It does seem to run on XP but it will hijack a lot of things such as image viewer)