PDA

View Full Version : Problem updating Photoshop

R.M.
23-08-2010, 07:16 PM
I have (as of course you know!) a brand new machine with Windows 7 Professional OS. And I have also been loading my brand new software...

I strike problems trying to Update Photoshop CS5. Through the process it tells me to:
'Please close the following applications to continue: Adobe Bridge (Bridge.exe) and at times (depending what I am trying to update) Adobe Photoshop (Photoshop.exe).

This I then do, but no joy... So I go to Task Manager and find neither Bridge or Photoshop are running.

A search of the Net shows similar problems with CS4, but I thought I'd just run the problem past you people. :)

Thoughts? Suggestions? I'd welcome some ideas of where to go next.

KarameaDave
23-08-2010, 08:12 PM
I have a similar issue on two machines with Premiere Pro and Photoshop (CS4).
A quick search of the Internet reveals a total lack of support on Adobes' part.
Pretty poor, apparently the 'cure' is to uninstall the lot, clean your system with a
special tool, then reinstall, hoping that this will magically 'fix' the issue.
It doesn't, so then they tell you to do it again, brilliant!

plod
23-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Have you tried dumping your preference files?

R.M.
23-08-2010, 08:45 PM
Have you tried dumping your preference files?

Where/how do I do this? :o

plod
23-08-2010, 08:51 PM
Where/how do I do this? :o
That I'm not sure on windows, only know with the mac version.

try this link
http://www.creativepro.com/article/photoshop-tips-trashing-the-preferences-file

Just noticed the link I posted doesn't cover the latest software, might pay to do a quick google for your OS and CS4

BBCmicro
23-08-2010, 10:52 PM
uninstall the lot, clean your system with a
special tool, then reinstall

Reinstalling to a different location might avoid the need for the special tool. I solved a PremierePro2 problem that way

KarameaDave
23-08-2010, 10:57 PM
Oh, that might be worth a try, but really shouldn't be necessary.

plod
24-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Did you have any joy

R.M.
24-08-2010, 06:50 PM
No... And I've just tried to uninstall it, and get the same message:

'Please close the following applications to continue: Adobe Bridge (Bridge.exe)'

So can't actually uninstall. Now what??

zqwerty
24-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Look for Bridge.exe in Task Manager, or the equivalent thereof in Win7, right click and stop it running then try to un-install Photoshop.

R.M.
24-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Look for Bridge.exe in Task Manager, or the equivalent thereof in Win7, right click and stop it running then try to un-install Photoshop.

No - it's NOT there... :(

wainuitech
24-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Doing some searching, and one solution was suggested - No idea if it will work or not.
The other source of this problem is that when CS5 installs it puts itself in your start up menu unless you opt out. I suggest you go to msconfig, click on the start up tab and make sure bridge, PS and any other junk is unchecked

Look and see if the older version is set to run on startup, untick the items if it is, reboot and retry the install. :2cents:

R.M.
24-08-2010, 07:53 PM
I suggest you go to msconfig, click on the start up tab and make sure bridge, PS and any other junk is unchecked.

It works, it works!!! :)

Wainui - you are brilliant. I'm so happy.:banana