PDA

View Full Version : Recognising Slave drive

Delta09
23-08-2010, 12:10 PM
I replaced my existing slave drive on a SATA system with a larger one [1tb]. The system recognises it. It appears under device manager as operating properly but does not appear in 'My Computer'. My operating system is XP home, service pack 3, with 4gb of ram [only 3gb recognised because of system limitations]. I used a trial copy of 'Partition Magic' which recognises the drive but until I register and pay for it won't do anything about it. Fair enough, but it will cost me almost as much as the drive. I've also tried 'Ashampoo Optimizer' but it can't find the disk. Any other suggestions?

GameJunkie
23-08-2010, 12:12 PM
sata drives aren't regarded as slave drives i think

Delta09
23-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Quite correct. I only used the term to indicate that it was not my main drive. I hope that I haven't caused confusion. My main concern is how do I get it on to my "My Computer" menu.

DeSade
23-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Check that the drive registers in the bios.
If not it "might" be a jumper problem on the drive itself.

Also if its a new drive it might not have been formatted yet.

jareemon
23-08-2010, 12:18 PM
You need to format the drive before you can use it for data.

Right-Click on the My Computer icon either on your desktop or in the Start Menu and select Manage.

A new window titled Computer Management comes up.
Select Storage from the left hand side by clicking it once, then select Disk Management(local) from the right side by double-clicking it. Find your new drive and format it with one large partition.

First you partition - do a primary partition if you want only one partition on the hard drive. Then you format the partition - again right click and select format use NTSF - use default allocation size and give the new volume a label (no spaces allowed in the name).
(source - http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-32218-2nd-sata-hard-drive-not-shown-on-my-computer)

jareemon
23-08-2010, 12:20 PM
wait... you're using xp arent you...

Snorkbox
23-08-2010, 12:22 PM
It will not appear until you format it. Go to control panel > Admin > Disk management and does it show up there? If so right click on the drive > Partition same and format it.

DeSade
23-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Difference in XP is the Disk Management is in the drop down (+) under Storage on the left side.

jareemon
23-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Difference in XP is the Disk Management is in the drop down (+) under Storage on the left side.
same with win7

Delta09
23-08-2010, 02:31 PM
Many thanks. I suspected that the problem was lack of formatting but didn't know how to go about it with no disk letter visible. Replies about disk management solved the problem. Once again many thanks.

jareemon
23-08-2010, 04:33 PM
sweet as brooo