PDA

View Full Version : 7 inch Laptop

waituke
23-08-2010, 11:32 AM
I have just purchased a 7 inch Laptop for my wife. Did not realise it is running Windows CE 6. Is it possible to run Xp instead also are there any software programs for this system. I wanted to run Skype as wll but this does not seem possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated

robjg63
23-08-2010, 11:34 AM
If its one of the chinese cheapies that I have seen on the web lately - I would doubt its got enough grunt to run xp - also - do you have access to a copy of XP? I would imagine the drivers could be an issue.

bk T
23-08-2010, 12:57 PM
If its one of the chinese cheapies that I have seen on the web lately - I would doubt its got enough grunt to run xp - also - do you have access to a copy of XP? I would imagine the drivers could be an issue.

Which brand is not Chinese made?:D

KarameaDave
23-08-2010, 01:10 PM
These machines run an ARM processor I believe, which none of the 'normal' Windows support.
So I'm afraid you are out of luck there.
It might be possible to install some sort of lightweight Linux operating system
Good luck.

paulw
23-08-2010, 01:56 PM
7 inch is rather small. Just slightly bigger than some mobiles these days. Why no go for a netbook which are around 10" plus or a real laptop..

robjg63
24-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Which brand is not Chinese made?:D

Well yes - good point - what I meant was a non-brand name dealextreme.com sort of cheapie.

Driftwood
24-08-2010, 06:22 PM
When they are that size you call them a netbook.
If you don't like CE you may get one of the Android versions to run on it.
Find out the make & model number.
Then look up the appropriate forum on the net.
Chances are someone will have done it & the firmware/OS will probably be available there.
If you are not keen on doing all that, just leave it as is.

icow
24-08-2010, 07:55 PM
These machines run an ARM processor I believe, which none of the 'normal' Windows support.
So I'm afraid you are out of luck there.
It might be possible to install some sort of lightweight Linux operating system
Good luck.

+1 :thumbs: