PDA

View Full Version : disassembling a Sony All-in-one computer

larryccf1
22-08-2010, 05:26 PM
this is a Sony Vaio VGC-JS230J computer, with the computer cabinet integral with the monitor

software is corrupted and won't boot - i need to get to the hard drive so i can extract some files but there must be a trick i'm not seeing to opening the cabinet - there's about 14 screws, have removed those -

has anyone taken one apart - i've googled and all i find are user manuals

any help appreciated

jareemon
22-08-2010, 05:55 PM
keep knocking, and the case shall open :)
if im taking something apart, and i have trouble getting inside, i put it in a well lit area, have a very close look at it all over, and assemble in my mind a blueprint of what i can see, this sometimes helps to find out how to take it apart. Also, if you have a good digital camera, take some photos of the bits that are difficult to see, then put 'em on your computer and zoom in. again, make sure your work area is well lit and your brain is running efficiently.
If you persevere enough to get it open, please post back with the results as im sure a few of us here are interested in finding out how you do it.

pctek
22-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Pull carefully - which side, corner or bit is not coming apart? That's where the missing screws will be.
Sometimes, at least with laptops, you have to remove something else first to find a screw underneath - stickers, other parts etc.

larryccf1
23-08-2010, 01:58 AM
appreciate the suggestions - i'm comfortable i've found all the screws

but there's a huge spring loaded hinged prop leg in the middle of the back side that i think is holding it and i can't tell how/or what

i've actually managed to pry the back open about 1/4" all the way round but something is still holding it

larryccf1
23-08-2010, 05:40 AM
went at it again today, - had an idea - used about 6 plastic putty knives (use then in fiberglassing work, but basically shaped like a 2" wide putty knife

worked them around the edges leaving them holding a gap where ever i left em and finally found the hang up - sony left 1/4" plus ears all around the edge that literally force you to really pull the sides of the cabinet cover out - they were the hang up

jareemon
23-08-2010, 09:04 AM
awesome, so you got it? any chance of you posting a couple pics?

larryccf1
23-08-2010, 01:56 PM
sorry, already have it back together - i am taking a photo of the backside for myself with some notes on what does and doesn't have to be unscrewed , yada yada

i'll post a copy of that

but one thing i will emphasize for others reading this thread - i cannot tell you the value of buying a spare hard drive and one of those cheap sata/ide to usb adaptor cables *(with power supply, they're about $12 on ebay)

that allowed me to plug the spare drive into a usb port, and with Acronis Easy Migrate, make a clone copy of the hard drive in the computer, and literally saved my bacon

the windows vista software had corrupted and it wouldn't reboot all the way and everything sony wanted me to do would wipe the hard drive clean (ie re-install everything)

being able to remove the existing harddrive wth the corrupted boot files, and drop in a replacement with uncorrupted boot files let me start the computer. Then with the corrupted harddrive connected with the adaptor cable, remember it was only the boot files that were corrupted, that let me hunt for the data files i needed plus the last three months of email that was lost

took about 4 hours, but everything is back to normal, and now the original hard drive is my backup clone - have a few more updates to complete, then defrag the computer, then do a clone tomorrow onto the old drive and that becomes my back up

i just need to remember to do a new clone every 30 days or so

i'm a fred flintstone at this stuff, so if this is old news or old idea to most, sorry for boring you

larryccf1
23-08-2010, 02:37 PM
photo promised

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz81/vze86qtl/SONYVGC-JS230cabinetremovalpix2.jpg

nedkelly
23-08-2010, 02:58 PM
why is everyone trying to copy the iMac?

larryccf1
23-08-2010, 04:11 PM
not sure sony copied anybody on that profile - they've had a similiar model for quite a few years

all i know is i like the minimal footprint on my desk - leaves a lot of "real estate" unoccupied

before this sony, i had 2 gateways with similiar profile, starting back 2000 or 2001

pctek
23-08-2010, 05:11 PM
photo promised

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz81/vze86qtl/SONYVGC-JS230cabinetremovalpix2.jpg

Excellent.
Clippy things you mean - about the claws.

larryccf1
24-08-2010, 08:26 AM
no, not clips

little plastic extensions ( or claws), one pc with the plastic chassis cover, that protrude inward into sockets that once they've popped in, keep the sides of the cover from moving. Imagine you've bent your fingers on one hand at the knuckles at the end of your palm so that your fingers are 90 degrees perpendicular to the palm of you hand, and that your fingers were 1/4" long,

now for another question

does anyone know where mozilla firefox stores the bookmarks or url favorites in the hard drive directory on a windows Vista?

i've used mozilla's support page, and what they describe, i'm not finding and i've used search function as well as manually searching the old hard drive. there's a ton of bookmarks i'd love to retrieve

tks in advance

zqwerty
24-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Search for "bookmarkbackups" which you will find in a large Folder (approx 30meg) called "profile", I use Portable Firefox on XP so can't give you location but the searches above should be enough to find the bookmark back ups, note they will be .json files.

Alternatively try a search for "*.json"

larryccf1
26-08-2010, 06:05 AM
found it - thanks