PDA

View Full Version : Cant get ArchLinux to boot inside a VirtualBox machine!

quark
22-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Hi

I have a computer running Windows 7 Ultimate installed. Im running the latest version of VirtualBox for Windows. I have created a new virtual machine with plenty of RAM and hard drive space allocated to the machine. I have set up the machine to boot from the latest ISO image of ArchLinux for x86 or x64 computers. It boots to the ArchLinux boot menu fine. I then select Boot ArchLinux and it begins to load. It then loads the ISO image but then comes up with a message saying "This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU. Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropiate for your CPU". Mu computer is definitely has a x86 CPU.

Any suggestions as a way to fix this?

Thanks

KarameaDave
22-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Try the other .iso the i686 one.
ftp://mirror.optus.net/archlinux/iso/2010.05/

fred_fish
22-08-2010, 01:23 PM
Mu computer is definitely has a x86(-64?) CPU.

Your VM doesn't.

Speedy Gonzales
22-08-2010, 01:24 PM
Yup its the VM. Some dont support x64 guests. Inc VirtualPC, and the version that comes with XP Mode

angry
22-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Hi

I have a computer running Windows 7 Ultimate installed. Im running the latest version of VirtualBox for Windows. I have created a new virtual machine with plenty of RAM and hard drive space allocated to the machine. I have set up the machine to boot from the latest ISO image of ArchLinux for x86 or x64 computers. It boots to the ArchLinux boot menu fine. I then select Boot ArchLinux and it begins to load. It then loads the ISO image but then comes up with a message saying "This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU. Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropiate for your CPU". Mu computer is definitely has a x86 CPU.

Any suggestions as a way to fix this?

Thanks

there are articles about that explain this.

Basically Window$ VM ware has been fixed to not run linux with ANY degree of functionality.

rationale Micro$oft users will see/believe linux is crap and stop paying attention to it.

If you want to make any progress, first item required is NON M$ Virtual machine ware.

Google the answer to so many questions.

Erayd
22-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Angry - VirtualBox isn't the same thing as MS Virtual PC. It's not a Microsoft product; VirtualBox is developed by InnoTek / Sun / Oracle.

somebody
22-08-2010, 05:17 PM
there are articles about that explain this.

Basically Window$ VM ware has been fixed to not run linux with ANY degree of functionality.

rationale Micro$oft users will see/believe linux is crap and stop paying attention to it.

If you want to make any progress, first item required is NON M$ Virtual machine ware.

Google the answer to so many questions.

You seem to be confusing a number of different virtualisation products and making some assertions which are just blatantly wrong.

I've run Linux successfully without any problems (minus one minor issue with Ubuntu which can be easily fixed) in Microsoft Virtual PC, Microsoft Virtual Server, VMWare Server (NOT a Microsoft product), or Virtualbox, all running on Microsoft Windows.

quark: If you grab the i686 version you should be fine. x86_64 is not "32 or 64 bit" - see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64