PDA

View Full Version : System disk

gale
22-08-2010, 12:15 PM
I have installed a bigger Hard drive and installed Windows XP Pro. My computer will not recognize the disk until I use the boot setup. Then the next time it is started, it fails to find the disk again.
Any ideas
Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
22-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Did you change the hard drive, to the bootdisk in the BIOS?

Nomad
22-08-2010, 12:27 PM
PC or laptop?
I would of thought auto detect in the bios - thou laptops may be different.

What's the computer model / brand?

gary67
22-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Any service packs? Otherwise it might not recognise the HDD if going form IDE to SATA

Snorkbox
22-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Is it that the CMOS battery may be flat and therefore not holding the settings in the BIOS possibly?

Is the date and time accurate?

gale
22-08-2010, 10:34 PM
Yes the time and date are OK. It just seems to lose the reference to the Primary disk. When booting it shows no HD in the installation dialogue. Entering the CMOS setupp recognizes the disk and then opens it, but on the second attempt it fails to find it.
It is a desktop. Iwill try changing the battery. Do you think the BIOS needs updating ?
Thanks

Snorkbox
22-08-2010, 10:40 PM
The BIOS may or may not need updating at this time. I suggest you wait before you do so.

Speedy Gonzales
22-08-2010, 10:44 PM
It sounds like the new hdd is SATA ? And it cant see the hdd WHEN you go to install XP? But you've installed XP, haven't you?

If this is the case, its because AHCI is enabled in the BIOS. If it is, you have to install the SATA drivers (with a floppy), or USB flash drive), before you install XP.

Otherwise, you'll have to change AHCI in the BIOS to IDE Mode / Compatibility mode. Before windows will install

gale
23-08-2010, 12:42 PM
The disk is not SATA it is an IDE. 160GB. Also I have tried with a 40Gb drive, but it has the same probelm.
I have installed a new battery, but this is not the problem.

Speedy Gonzales
23-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Since its IDE is there anything else connected to the same IDE connector?? If there is, did you jumper it?? And what did you put it on?? Master or Slave? Dont put it on cable select. And since you replaced the battery, does the BIOS detect it?? And did you reconfigure the settings in the BIOS, then save settings?. How old is the system?? How big was the old hdd??

gale
23-08-2010, 10:29 PM
The disk is the only one on the IDE cable and jumpered to Master. I have tried it as cable select without success. The CMOS just does not remember it. The only way I can get into the drive is to go through the setup routine where it recognizes it immediately for that session. Saving the settings has no effect.
Would an update of the BIOS help ?

Speedy Gonzales
23-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Is the IDE cable the right way round?? Thats the only other thing it maybe. If its got a blue connector at one end, is it connected to the motherboard end?

And there's a red/blue line on it, it should be connected to pin 1 of the hdd

gale
23-08-2010, 11:21 PM
Yes all those things are checked and OK.

Agent_24
24-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Is your HDD set to autodetect in the BIOS?