PDA

View Full Version : P2P excess uploading

06-09-2001, 05:12 PM
I have tried most P2P file sharing utilities, and heard the concerns about spyware. Can someone explain the risks exactly, what is being spied upon, and why whenever I run one of these programs and review the data sent and received within zonealarm, there appears to be an incredible amount of data sent, even when no one is uploading from my files (according to the program). My concern is linked to bandwidth and the potential for downloading material I am unaware they are downloading and that I have not given approval to download.

06-09-2001, 08:55 PM
What is generally spied on is browsing habits, but is mainly used to pop up ads at you.
None of this should cause excessive downloads/uploads and the spyware is usually a seperate program that gets secretly installed then you install the main program.

My guess is that you are running a GNUtella client, eg Limewire. The bandwidth useage is a result of how it works, all the searches preformed get sent to you, and you reply if you have something that matches.

07-09-2001, 04:21 PM
Yes - I have been using gnutella clones e.g. kazaa, limewire and now xolox. Is there any way to limit this upload date transfer, or is there an alternative system for p2p that does not involve so much data transfer.