PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 - removing Shortcut arrows

Digby
22-08-2010, 03:34 AM
Hi Guys

I have just gone live with Windows 7.
Love the snap windows to the right or left.

But I am trying to get rid of those horrible shortcut arrows.
On XP I used Tweak UI.

I have tried a program called FX Visor, but this has bugs and they are really trying to sell you scanning software.

And I tried a registry entry.

None of these have worked for me.

Why is it so hard ?
You would think that Microsoft would have made it an easy option in 7.

Any suggestions ?

Terry Porritt
22-08-2010, 08:03 AM
I use the Vista Shortcut Manager in Win 7:

http://www.brothersoft.com/vista-shortcut-manager-180230.html

blanco
22-08-2010, 08:08 AM
Yes, you can get rid of the arrows but they are there for a good reason, as many have found out to their dismay when they have deleted what they thought to be a shortcut and turned out to be a program. In other words, the arrow is there for identification. Anyway, whats your problem with an arrow? I am not taking the piss, I'd just like to know your reason, because you are not the first guy to ask this question on many global forums and I wonder why.

Speedy Gonzales
22-08-2010, 08:28 AM
You could try one of these

http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/windows7/windows7_registry_remove_shortcut.htm

BUT, if you use the isshortcut method, as it says above

Another problem occurs with the Media Center and Games Explorer, their shortcuts may be displayed, but they don't work when you click on them.

Just tried the 1st method from the above site. It works

Digby
22-08-2010, 08:51 AM
Thanks for those suggestions I will try them.

@Blanco, my mum was born in Wales. I just find them ugly. And I find my desktop looks better without them.

pctek
22-08-2010, 09:15 AM
But I am trying to get rid of those horrible shortcut arrows.
On XP I used Tweak UI.
?

http://www.winvistaclub.com/Ultimate_Windows_Tweaker.html

Digby
22-08-2010, 09:22 AM
Gee I wish I had not installed that Brothersoft toolbar thing.
There does not seem to be an easy way to uninstall it !
That to me is always a bit suspect.

gary67
22-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Uninstall it with Ccleaner or revo. I don't have any shortcuts on my desktop apart from the recycle bin I put the most used in the new taskbar and just use start and type what program I want in Win7

blanco
22-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Digby, you don't need to have any shortcuts on your desktop. Create a folder containing all of them and place the folder on the taskbar, then click the icon for access. This way you will have a screen showing only whatever background you choose.

gary67
22-08-2010, 07:11 PM
Digby, you don't need to have any shortcuts on your desktop. Create a folder containing all of them and place the folder on the taskbar, then click the icon for access. This way you will have a screen showing only whatever background you choose.

Well I didn't know that thanks Blanco

blanco
22-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Right click Taskbar > Toolbars > New Toolbar > include the shortcuts folder which will now show right hand side next to system tray. No more clutter on the desktop. Any new s/cuts, just move them from the desktop into the folder using Windows Explorer.

Digby
22-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Wow, this is getting pretty radical.
There is a lot I did not know.

Snorkbox
22-08-2010, 10:06 PM
There is a lot I don't know either for that matter. It's why we have PressF1 for collective knowledge.

blanco
22-08-2010, 10:51 PM
Ditto, Snorkbox.

KarameaDave
22-08-2010, 10:53 PM
Ah, the slings and arrows of outrageous shortcuts.