PDA

View Full Version : Computer reboots when reading CD

LynX
21-08-2010, 11:43 PM
Hi all,

I've got a somewhat-peculiar issue with my computer.

I start up my computer, put in a CD for it to read, and when the DVD drive tries to recognise the disc (disc rotation speeds up), the computer restarts unexpectedly (as if someone pressed the RESET button). I've tried it with both Windows XP and Puppy Linux, so it's more likely to be a hardware issue.

What makes the issue more complicated is that after a few encounters with this issue, the problems seemed to go away. When I place a disc into the reader, it reads properly, no restarts, as if the whole issue didn't exist.

So, what could be going wrong? I assumed that if it's a problem with PSU, then the problem wouldn't vanish. I've also updated the BIOS of my motherboard, but didn't do anything.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance!

p.s. My motherboard: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=1628

Speedy Gonzales
21-08-2010, 11:48 PM
Reboot then press F8 select disable auto restart. Then get back into windows. If it reboots again is it crashing? If it is, whats the stop error and what file (if any) appears under the stop error? After you updated the BIOS, did you set the settings to the default settings. Then reconfigure / save them?

jareemon
21-08-2010, 11:48 PM
could be a hardware fault with the drive itself, and i wouldnt nessecarily rule out the psu

wainuitech
22-08-2010, 12:23 AM
Possibly faulty RAM as well, hitting the wrong / Faulty spot on the RAM could cause it to crash/Reboot.

angry
22-08-2010, 01:34 AM
how big is the harddrive (c drive, all questions relate to the (c) or windows drive),

when did you last defrag it,

how much free space is there.

is the page file ratio correct, and is there a freespace segment BIGGER THAN THE PAGE FILE.

is the amount of data on the disk/dvd larger than the free memory and the pagefile

Paul.Cov
22-08-2010, 09:16 AM
And just to add to your list of possibilities, I'm gonna say the power supply might be the culprit.

Every component you add uses power, including such benign things as USB sticks. Try removing all non essential peripheral devices and see if the issue persists, or try the opposite of adding more devices and see if it gets worse.

My answer about the variability of the issue is to also bring system (case) temperature into the mix as yet another variable.

You might also want to cast your eye around inside the case to see if there are any bad capacitors.