PDA

View Full Version : Average Broadband Use - Browsing Only?

Winston001
21-08-2010, 07:01 PM
For some months now my 3 GB broadband limit has been exceeded each month which puzzles me. My son occasionally plays online with his PS3 but maybe only one or twice a week for a few hours at most.

I've finally got the Telecom meter to work for me and it shows that by myself, using only one pc, I am downloading over 100MB per day.

That seems a heck of a lot of data for simple web browsing and email. No games, no video apart from the odd Youtube clip. No music.

I switch my wireless modem off after use so its not someone stealing my signal.

Safari
21-08-2010, 07:12 PM
That sounds about right.
It is quite easy to use 100MB a day just using web and email.

kahawai chaser
21-08-2010, 07:58 PM
I recall on this forum, where someone noted that a email program was continuously sending emails or something. So maybe check email account. Maybe set up encryption for your wireless modem.

I think you can check what's connecting to the internet when online. I use What's running Net (http://www.whatsrunning.net/), or you can use the netstat commands - to check if sites are connecting without you knowing. (http://labnol.blogspot.com/2007/09/is-your-computer-connecting-to-websites.html) I once found screen saver download sites were connecting...

Maybe can also check running processes with windows task manger or the advanced process monitor...

coldot
21-08-2010, 08:23 PM
Regardless of your browsing, there have been several bursts of MS Windows updates recently - sometimes a dozen at a time. Add to that the updates for your virus checker and firewall and spyware checker. And that's not to mention MS Office updates if you happen to have Office installed. Ooops - I did mention it.
Sometimes I think I'm going to have to book a time a day or two ahead when I want to use (MY) OUR broadband connection!

sahilcc7
21-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Turn off windows update downloading itself.

:pf1mobmini:

Nomad
21-08-2010, 08:51 PM
When we had 3GB, we did okay. We had it for 3 years.
Provided we got all the updates prev and now just getting as they come out. We only update AV and Windows.

We don't use chat software.
Youtube? 1hr could cost 300MB :thumbs:

If you are web surfing throughout the day, then you will spend more than 100MB/day.
We just check email and surf the net maybe 3 or 4hr a day.

Renmoo
21-08-2010, 09:13 PM

Hmmm.... I question the wisdom of this piece of advice.

I take it that "browsing the web" merely includes checking out news websites, e-mails, and PressF1? i.e. Nothing on Youtube or similar?

angry
21-08-2010, 09:42 PM
For some months now my 3 GB broadband limit has been exceeded each month which puzzles me. My son occasionally plays online with his PS3 but maybe only one or twice a week for a few hours at most.

I've finally got the Telecom meter to work for me and it shows that by myself, using only one pc, I am downloading over 100MB per day.

That seems a heck of a lot of data for simple web browsing and email. No games, no video apart from the odd Youtube clip. No music.

I switch my wireless modem off after use so its not someone stealing my signal.

add block flash block and taco in f/fox will possibly trim a lot off of that.

I still run zone alarm and set it to cry about almost everthing to prevent the problem you are having.

you tube can be a very hungy thing.

note the meter reading use it for a few days without any utube and see what's being consumed.

malware ?

gary67
21-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Skype? That can use data if it decides to keep you connected and sending data

angry
21-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Skype? That can use data if it decides to keep you connected and sending data

absolutly heaps of it.

also all the flash adds on scamme which are continuosly changing (so not cached) if you go there.

Nomad
21-08-2010, 10:06 PM

We never (and still) don't use auto Win Updates. It tells me what are available and it's up to me to say yes or no. A bit of the time I downloaded the updates when I was on dialup speed at the last 3 days of the cycle :D

jareemon
21-08-2010, 10:36 PM
you could try a firewall that shows exactly what applications are using how much bandwidth,

FoxyMX
21-08-2010, 10:49 PM

That seems a heck of a lot of data for simple web browsing and email. No games, no video apart from the odd Youtube clip.

I'm on a plan whereby I have a 70MB cap which is reset twice a day (ie 140MB per 24 hours) and when the four family members are sharing the connection the cap is usually exceeded most days.

Even when it is just myself I can quite easily go over 70MB just by viewing a couple of You Tube vids and downloading a heap of pics in emails.

I don't have auto-updates enabled and nothing, apart from my AV, updates itself without my permission as it is surprising how quickly it all adds up. Even just browsing the internet gobbles up lots of bandwidth as websites are not optimised for dial up anymore.

So to answer your question, 100MB is not unusual these days.

wainuitech
21-08-2010, 11:01 PM
no video apart from the odd Youtube clip. No music. Youtube can really suck through your monthly allowance as well.

Orca
21-08-2010, 11:14 PM
3GB is nothing really. I could eat that up on just my iPhone a month. I went through 50GB last month for the home network but usually it's around 15-30GB.

Winston001
21-08-2010, 11:35 PM
Regardless of your browsing, there have been several bursts of MS Windows updates recently - sometimes a dozen at a time. Add to that the updates for your virus checker and firewall and spyware checker. And that's not to mention MS Office updates if you happen to have Office installed. Ooops - I did mention it.

Mmmm good thought. I have 3 pcs here but have only been using one over the past 2 days. I noticed MS updates which probably went to all three computers so that would account for the 270MB in one day - 18 Aug.

Currently from midnight 18 August to now - 3 days, I've used 608MB. Not so long ago at work we had 3 pcs on 1GB/month and that worked.

Thanks everyone, I'll try and track what is coming and going but am reasonably certain it isn't spyware because I scan and protect against that. Sounds like my use is just normal. :D

Nomad
22-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Purposely change your surfing habits and track it ...
ie., email and web only ...
then a bit of chat then a bit of youtube etc...

If you have 3 pcs that might be why. When we had 3GB, we pretty much only had 1 PC, the other was only used like 2hr each few days ...

Chilling_Silence
22-08-2010, 10:00 AM
YouTube can actually go through 50MB quite easily in just 5 minutes of video, depending of course on the resolution of the video etc.

If you're doing 100MB, that's really nothing by todays standards. Just visiting the homepage of PressF1 is around 250KB.
Tried going to stuff.co.nz? The homepage is just under 1.1MB (I did a few tests recently while doing the mobile version of PressF1)

It adds up incredibly quickly, so when you consider that your one machine is doing approx 100MB a day, over 30 days, gives you 3GB.

Gaming generally uses next to nothing while playing, but if there are updates and patches for the game it can easily chew through your limited bandwidth allowance.

In short: If you're blowing 3GB, it's simply time to get a bigger plan :)

Nomad
22-08-2010, 10:05 AM
Just track it for an hour or so ... you can mutiply it up ... :)
Like surfing alone ... then do an hour of chat or 30mins....

I've tracked youtube for an hour ... 300MB.

Easiest way to fit in is really don't use it. For me that meant, turn router on for 5min in the morning and don't turn it on till the evening for another 5mins :D
You could well possibly use 10MB/day :D

SP8's
22-08-2010, 11:25 AM
If you have teenage boys .... check what sites they're visiting ... XXX can be deadly :devil

Chilling_Silence
22-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Its tough doing it be the hour, as most usage meters from isps don't update in realtime

Winston001
22-08-2010, 06:52 PM
Most of the time only one pc is on but I used to be in the habit of leaving Firefox with 16 tabs open 24/7. I suspect some usage came from pages updating.

Watching my daughter last night she was on youtube for quite a while and I notice today another 300MB have been used. However I was updating a few applications as well so that will have contributed.

Thankyou everyone for your input, it has been educational.

pctek
22-08-2010, 07:22 PM
my 3 GB broadband limit has been exceeded . My son occasionally plays online with his PS3 but maybe only one or twice a week for a few hours at most.

, I am downloading over 100MB per day.

100mb is nothing.
Hoever, are you sure son is only gaming occasionally? it adds up you know - my son and his girlfriend play online and they go over their 10Gb by double usually.

Chilling_Silence
22-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Online gaming generally uses anywhere from 1-4KB/sec in my experience, that's very little really. Naturally its more if you host.

SP8's
22-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Winston .... can I ask what make of ADSL Modem / wireless Ap your using ?

For pctec & Chill .... haven't got one myself, but can you tell me if PS3's go through the modem or AP ?? The reason I ask is, if they do, they should be able to be monitored to see how much bandwidth they're using. Y/N

Winston001
23-08-2010, 01:42 AM
SMC 7904WBRA4 ADSL Wireless Modem/Router. The PS3 has to log in each time before it can connect. Doesn't appear to remember the login details.

PCT Joe
23-08-2010, 02:55 AM
PS3 Log's in via a direct Ethernet(or wireless connection to the router. I used to use 6GB/day when I wasn't monitoring myself, I could easily see situation's were I used more, I used to cap 160+ GB a month. (Running various programs that constantly use bandwidth, and watching the now defunct NinjaVideo.net plus various torrents through Vuze)

It's surprisingly easy to use a whole months internet in one day. But more on topic, I'm assuming that your on telecom. I'd advise a upgrade to a 10GB/month plan. its pretty cheap and will allow a reasonable amount of youtubing, gaming etc...

pctek
23-08-2010, 08:26 AM
can you tell me if PS3's go through the modem or AP ?? . Y/N

My son plays online games via his PC -whether or not its via PC or console, it still uses the data.
And the PS3 would connect via the modem, so don't know how you distinguish which one is using it all.
Measure the PCs data I guess and whats left is the PS3.

Chilling_Silence
23-08-2010, 09:13 AM
try either webgauge.co.nz or gargoyle router firmware. Unfortunately the firmware won't work with your SMC router do you'll need a replacement our additional one if youre going to use a router-based bandwidth logger.

I've done tests with pc games and Tomato firmware, using the QoS to determine where the traffic was going to and from, and I know that warcraft 3 uses an average of 2KB/sec as a client or 12 to host. Call of duty MW2 uses 1-3 as a client, depending on the number if players on the map amongst other things. If you figure it out that its both sending and receiving at that rate, then multiply by 60, that's how much it will use in a minute (approx). 2x2x60 = 250KB approx!

So 4 minutes if gaming will use around 1MB, or 15MB an hour. That's significantly les than what I would guess your browsing is ;-)

Safari
23-08-2010, 09:31 AM
You could try this usage meter Winston, might help.
http://www.tuc.co.nz/

Ofthesea
23-08-2010, 08:57 PM
Winston, my description is virtually the same as yours but I never exceed 3Gb.
However I leave Skye turned off by default and mainly its myself using it.
I just can't imagine you exceeding 3Gb based on your description so look into it further, like other users or Skype or something else.

Nomad
23-08-2010, 09:17 PM
earlier today i streamed some videos and saw my usage meter clocked up over 800MB :groan:

Deimos
23-08-2010, 09:26 PM
I have a 100MB limit on my phone, I have used 60MB in one browsing session with my laptop through my phone in just half an hour, so yeah it can go pretty fast.

Nomad
23-08-2010, 09:32 PM
no vids, no downloads, no win updates, no chat software. just read the news and just download email and reply them (text). don't attach vids or photographs. 3GB in my view is workable.

so don't watch shortland st or NCIS online that you may of missed :p

your most interactive webpage generally might be pressf1 or similar.

don't hog on it whole day, you may use it for an hour a few times a day.

PeeCeeWorldly
23-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Well my lad is on TF2 unless he's asleep. Bandwidth Monitor indicates he uses around 60->70MB per hour. He reckons he's set thing "low"

Phil B
23-08-2010, 10:27 PM
We have a ps3 & a laptop that game almost daily & they use at least a gig a day between them. The days they don't connect we usually use around 2 -300 mb. So where does the games use no or very low data come from? I know that when the wife's at work & watches youtube videos we'll regularly go through 5gig a month. When she's not there it's much cheaper lol

The Error Guy
23-08-2010, 11:07 PM
From my experience, my general habits run 1-2gb a day. I wasted my mates broadband. I forgot I wasn't at home.

PS3 may have downloaded updates or you may have downloaded trial games (do the PS3's do that? i'm a 360 person myself) other thing is do you have any P2P stuff on your computer. I have a lot of mates who run lime wire (I could kill them) It can take out a lot of RAM as well as bandwidth if you're not monitoring it

Agent_24
24-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Yeah I would blame the PS3, it's probably downloaded updates etc

SolMiester
24-08-2010, 12:57 PM
I think Java apps like Farm-ville use quite a bit as well!

Chilling_Silence
24-08-2010, 07:22 PM
They use a *little* the first time they load up, but realistically it's not that much. They're Flash too. I'll do a test later on and find out exactly how much the likes of those apps do really use.

Phil B
24-08-2010, 10:36 PM
The ps3 does update now & then, but I'm talking about every time the thing connects. Yesterday it wasn't on & we used 330mb. It hasn't been on today either & we're on 155mb so far. The ps3 is a parasite

Chilling_Silence
25-08-2010, 12:26 AM
Wait you just said it wasn't on, yet you're blaming it for your usage?!

PCT Joe
25-08-2010, 12:54 AM
Yeah, I wondered how that worked out ;)

The Error Guy
25-08-2010, 08:38 AM
well at an average of 100mb a day average you look at 2.8gb based on a 4 week month. you cut it close is all i can say. 100mb is tiny. itunes updates are close to 100mb. you might want to try a 5gb plan

Chilling_Silence
25-08-2010, 09:07 AM
True, but iTunes doesn't update daily, and Windows only patches once a month too, and they're not that big either.

Honestly, it's just regular browsing. You could rake up a solid 10MB in just a few minutes perusing PF1...

Phil B
25-08-2010, 08:39 PM
I'm blaming it for usage because when it is on, it will use 5 6 or 700mb on it's own depending how long it's online. Yesterday topped out at 217mb web browsing & emails only. He's home tonight, so we'll see if he uses it

The Error Guy
25-08-2010, 09:08 PM
it? whats it? iTunes? PS3?

Chilling_Silence
25-08-2010, 09:23 PM
I'd be checking *what* is being done on the PS3, rather than just blindly blaming the platform in general...

The Error Guy
25-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Probably game updates/trials/content maybe even just gamin. not sure what the PS3 useage is like. if your not playing online just unplug the ethernet/disconnect wireless. that might save a bit

Phil B
25-08-2010, 09:46 PM
I'm talking about the ps3. The game is some shoot em up soldier game where he's playing in teams with other people from around the world

The Error Guy
25-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Game shouldn't matter, he could be playing the bill and ben game or anything they would all use about the same amount of bandwith. so i'd have a look at this article http://www.robgroove.com/robgrooves-playstation-3-junkie-blog/how-much-bandwidth-does-the-ps3-use/1110/

Phil B
25-08-2010, 10:47 PM
That's an interesting article. He does wear headphones & chats away for hours on end. I see it's (ps3) online now & according to orcons usage, we're on 197mb. I'll have a look in the morning & let you know

Chilling_Silence
26-08-2010, 12:44 AM
If he's playing something like Call of Duty, it'll be using around 1-3KB/sec, unless he's hosting, then it could be up to 25KB/sec (Going from memory on the hosting part). It's *nothing* if he's just playing and not hosting, you'd go through more browsing ;)

The voice does use a little, but again, not terribly much either. I'll try and find some solid stats on what it uses for voice.

Phil B
26-08-2010, 04:18 PM
As it happens he was only on for half an hour so nothing to report. We used 237mb all up for the whole day.
I 'll let you know when he's had a good session. He's just had an operation & is recovering from that. So I imagine I won't have to wait too long