PDA

View Full Version : Telstra Modems

PinoyKiw
21-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Question posed to me by a lady.

She has had Telstra around to install Telstra Internet.

The Telstra tech has supplied and plugged in a modem to the wall plug.

The Modem supplied has only one Lan connection.

Lady already had a DLink wireless router which has on the back 4 Lan ports and a DSL connection. Unsure which DLink exactly she has.

The Telstra tech refused to connect her DLink to the modem so that she could have wireless or wired Lan connections to other laptops within the house.

Claims that she would have to purchase a Telestra specific wireless modem as the DLink wouldn't work with the Telstra Modem.

She also had a couple of Lan cables longer than the supplied one with the Telstra Modem, was advised / warned that only Telstra specific Lan cables would work with the Telstra Modem.

So, big question is, can she plug the DLink into the Telstra Modem so she can get wireless or additional laptops on line or does she need a Telstra specific Wireless Router.

As for the Telstra specific Lan cable, I have already checked that using one of her Lan cables and connects good as.

I am not familair with Wireless setups, had a quick go but didn't get past where the DLink asked for her user name and password. The tech has given her a user name but beleive it or not, no user name.

Waited 39 minutes listening to canned music on the Telstra help line, couldn't stay on the phone any longer.

Can anyone advise if she needs a telstra specific router to plug into the modem or will the DLink work ?

PENTIUM
21-08-2010, 05:40 PM
I have waited up to half a day with Telstra cable internet to get through to someone who could be of assistance.
The information you were given is, I believe, basically correct. They were using Motorola routers last time I experienced this situation.

somebody
21-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Question posed to me by a lady.

The Telstra tech has supplied and plugged in a modem to the wall plug.

The Modem supplied has only one Lan connection.

Lady already had a DLink wireless router which has on the back 4 Lan ports and a DSL connection. Unsure which DLink exactly she has.

The Telstra tech refused to connect her DLink to the modem so that she could have wireless or wired Lan connections to other laptops within the house.

Claims that she would have to purchase a Telestra specific wireless modem as the DLink wouldn't work with the Telstra Modem.

She also had a couple of Lan cables longer than the supplied one with the Telstra Modem, was advised / warned that only Telstra specific Lan cables would work with the Telstra Modem.

So, big question is, can she plug the DLink into the Telstra Modem so she can get wireless or additional laptops on line or does she need a Telstra specific Wireless Router.

As for the Telstra specific Lan cable, I have already checked that using one of her Lan cables and connects good as.

I am not familair with Wireless setups, had a quick go but didn't get past where the DLink asked for her user name and password. The tech has given her a user name but beleive it or not, no user name.

Waited 39 minutes listening to canned music on the Telstra help line, couldn't stay on the phone any longer.

Can anyone advise if she needs a telstra specific router to plug into the modem or will the DLink work ?

Short answer is no. I used several different routers when I had TelstraClear Cable with no issues.

You should be able to disable the ADSL component of the D-Link router, and just use it as a Wireless Access Point. The username and password on the D-Link modem might be printed on the bottom, otherwise you'll have to consult the user manual for that modem.

Agent_24
21-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Telstra specific LAN cables? What a load of crap.

You could set up the D-Link to give WiFi through the Telstra router, but it would be a pain to set up.

As long as the connection is ADSL then you should be able to use the D-Link instead of the Telstra supplied router just fine.

Might need to change the username and password for authentication to the (DSL) network but other than that it should work fine.

Sounds like the Telstra guy is a psychotic clown.

ronyville
21-08-2010, 06:00 PM
As Agent and Somebody suggested, all she has to do is log into the Dlink, give the Dlink a static IP, and disable DHCP (since DHCP is enable on the new router) setup she wireless if not already done and if required than set the dns and gateway IP under wireless settings same as the new router. She is good to go.

wainuitech
21-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Claims that she would have to purchase a Telestra specific wireless modem as the DLink wouldn't work with the Telstra Modem. :lol: Utter CRAP!! any CABLE Router will work with Telstra Cable Modems.Thats assuming its a cable modem - like the one here on the Right (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/P1010093_(Large).JPG) Bad picture - sorry.
Double :lol::lol: Man the Guy is an IDIOT!! any Cat5 cable will work.

OK now what you need.

A CABLE modem. About the only thing he was correct about is the DSL modem more than like wont work, you need a CABLE modem.

Something like this DIR-615 (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=359184) as on Ascents site. I put in one earlier this week, dead simple to set up. You can also get something like the NetComm NB620W.

Have a look at the 615 rear As shown Here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/rear.jpg) - it has a port that the modem plugs into WAN.

What you do is write down the IP address from the LAN connection on the PC.
Then set it to "obtain automatically" Connect the Modem to the WAN port, then connect 1 port (1-4) to the PC, open a browser type in teh roputers IP address For the D-Link - type in http://192.168.0.1 - the interface opens, user name is Admin password is blank ( no password) Ignore the wizard, its not needed. You click on Setup, set conenction type to static -- enter in the IP address you wrote down before . Set the DNS to 203.96.152.4 & 203.96.152.12 click save, the router reboots and you are on the internet, or should be. then go back into the settings and set up the wireless.

Telstra are pushing belkins -- stay away from them -- they crap out to often and give to many problems.

PinoyKiw
21-08-2010, 06:08 PM
I can get into the DLink using the bog standard admin user name and password, after that, I am sort of out of my depth in regards to wireless.

She is not looking at replacing or using the DLink in place of the Telstra Modem.

What she needs is seeking is to use the DLink router to plug into the Lan port on the Telstra Modem so she can get other laptops to access the net using either wireless or via lan cable to the DLink which in turn connects to the Telstra modem.

As for telstra specific lan cables, I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry...... talk about creative sales pitch to someone who knows next to nothing about computers.

Current Set up

Wall plug----> Telstra Modem----> Lan cable to laptop.

What she wants is

Wall plug ---> Telstra Modem ---> Lan Cable to DLink Router ---> Wireless or lan Cables to 2 or 3 laptops.

wainuitech
21-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Assuming its a cable modem as I pictured in a link above, ( altered my post) as long as you get a cable Router it will work fine. You more than likely will have problems with the ADSL router. -- best to have a cable router.

IF its a Cable modem you cant change it either - the IP Address telstra give you is matched to the Modems MAC address, and the Modem is rented, telstra wont sell them, and you cant use any other cable modem.

PinoyKiw
21-08-2010, 06:14 PM
[QUOTE=wainuitech;942055]type in http://192.168.0.1 - the interface opens, user name is Admin password is blank ( no password)

This DLink is http:// something.1.1.1 cannot remember the starting digits.

I can get past the password and user name using the bog standard DLink admin.

I will try it your way rather than using the wizard.

That first picture you posted is similair or same as the Telstra Modem I saw.

Thanks everyone.

pctek
21-08-2010, 06:20 PM

, was advised / warned that only Telstra specific Lan cables would work with the Telstra Modem.

Ring Telstar. Moan about the idiots giving false info.
Telstra Lan cables.......Like the decided to wire some up different to the current CAT standard used all over the world??!!:groan:

wainuitech
21-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Question: If its a ADSL modem/Router where are you going to plug in the cable that goes from the cable modem to the Router ?? You cant.;)

An ADSL modem/router usually doesn't have the WAN (in) port only 4 Ethernet ports. If its a Straight Router without a inbuilt modem - thats different.

Hence me saying ADSL wont work. Would be a help if the model of the D-Link is known.:confused:

PinoyKiw
21-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Question: If its a ADSL modem/Router where are you going to plug in the cable that goes from the cable modem to the Router ?? You cant.;)

An ADSL modem/router usually doesn't have the WAN (in) port only 4 Ethernet ports. If its a Straight Router without a inbuilt modem - thats different.

Hence me saying ADSL wont work. Would be a help if the model of the D-Link is known.:confused:

Off the top of my head as I cannot contact her right now, DLink 528 .....maybe.

One the back it has 4 Lan ports, 1 phone jack like port labled DSL and the Antenna and power.

She bought this maybe a year ago at a sale with the intention of using it with her then current ISP which was dial up, she was going to upgrade to DSL but put it off and then shifted and got Telstra TV and Phone but stayed on her own ISP's dial up, has finally decided to upgrade to DSL and went the Telstra route.

wainuitech
21-08-2010, 07:14 PM
If its a DFE-528 thats an ethernet card This one (http://www.dlink.co.nz/products/?pid=DFE-528TX).

BTW-- Only using D-links as examples as their site is easier to get Pic's from - Wouldn't touch a BELKIN :groan: Seen WAY TO MANY problems wih them.

Have a look back at the previous post, I linked the rear view of the D-Link 615. ( going to replace my TP-Link with one when I get around to it :rolleyes: )Or Here - Big Silver port on the right (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/rear.jpg)

If you notice, it has a WAN port, which is RJ45 - this is the type of connection that is needed (its the In Line) - if it has a RJ-11 like The one circled on the Left (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Circled.jpg) - it wont work, thats a telephone plug.

The cable coming from the Telstra modem is RJ45. (Basically) The other 4 RJ-45ports on the Router are outgoing. They can have switches added to expand out if required -- but thats another story :D

ubergeek85
21-08-2010, 11:27 PM
IME, the telstra cable modems will only let one IP address on the LAN out to the internet. You could quite happily connect the wireless AP to the telstra modem, just make sure that the laptop uses a static IP, the same one as it is now. I've yet to figure out a way to let two or more computers share one connection, short of (theoretically) doubling-up the NAT, or some sort of tunnelling.

In short, I can't help you.

wainuitech
22-08-2010, 12:27 AM
IME, the telstra cable modems will only let one IP address on the LAN out to the internet. You could quite happily connect the wireless AP to the telstra modem, just make sure that the laptop uses a static IP, the same one as it is now. I've yet to figure out a way to let two or more computers share one connection, short of (theoretically) doubling-up the NAT, or some sort of tunnelling.

In short, I can't help you. Where do you get that idea from ??

The Telstra Modem has only one IP address sure, but connecting a router allows many computers on the Net at once, all using the same IP address.

The words in bold -- ONLY a static IP that the Router address runs.

If you use the static IP that Telstra give you then you will have all sorts of problems.

Christ I have a dozen going sometimes all accessing the internet at the same time, and thats only a small number. Currently there are three doing windows updates all at the same time.

ubergeek85
22-08-2010, 12:33 AM
Where do you get that idea from ??

From trying to set up a wireless AP to work with a telstra cable modem.

The modem would only allow one, single IP from within the LAN to access the internet. I have no idea why. It's something I've done before, and I understand the process.

It didn't tie the IP to a specific MAC address, and it had no problem with me swapping IPs around willy nilly, but DHCP was a no-go, and it would only let the computer with the specific IP connect to the internet (can't remember it specifically, I think it ended in .110).

That was my experience though.

EDIT: Wait, I think I understand... IT MAKES SENSE NOW! Holy crap thats a bad setup, no NAT, no nothing! I was under the impression that the modem acted as the network gateway, and actively blocked all IPs except one to force you to buy their wireless version.

Bit of a D'OH moment....

Orca
22-08-2010, 12:53 AM
I was on Telstra cable in Wellington a few years ago. We had a cable router/WiFi N setup. Basically you need something which can dial up the Telstra modem using PPPoE. ADSL modems won't work... unless it was acting as a switch (big maybe).

Go for a Linksys like the WRT160N (http://www.linksysbycisco.com/ANZ/en/products/WRT160N) for ~$144. Cheap as chips. D-Link are absolute rubbish, unreliable and they drop connections every hour. The firmware was written by monkeys in the amazon jungle so that explains a few things. Belkins aren't much better after my latest purchase.

KarameaDave
22-08-2010, 12:55 AM
In CHCH I have TC cable modem>DLINK DL524(DHCP server and wireless access point) then off to an HP smart switch> several PCs> and another hub and 3 more PCs
All works perfectly. :p

PinoyKiw
22-08-2010, 10:52 AM
If

If you notice, it has a WAN port, which is RJ45 - this is the type of connection that is needed (its the In Line) - if it has a RJ-11 like The one circled on the Left (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Circled.jpg) - it wont work, thats a telephone plug.

:D

Ok, the DLink number I gave must be wrong, looks more like what you have in the quote above.

I won't be able to see her again till next weekend so will look at it again then.

Thanks for your input there Wainuitech.

PinoyKiw
22-08-2010, 10:55 AM
D-Link are absolute rubbish, unreliable and they drop connections every hour.

We run DLink and have never had a issue with them. But then what works for me may for what ever reason not work for you.

As for the DLink the lady bought, she bought it, not me, her purchase.

wainuitech
22-08-2010, 11:20 AM
We run DLink and have never had a issue with them. But then what works for me may for what ever reason not work for you.

As for the DLink the lady bought, she bought it, not me, her purchase. That sums it up nicely.

Normally I would use either Asus or Linksys Cable routers.

The other day I needed a cable router in a hurry, and couldn't wait overnight to get it. I got it locally and it was a D-Link 615. Installed it, and it works fine, no drop outs, wireless range is good.

In the past I hated D-Link( had a couple of my own fail years ago) - BUT over the last four months I have put in around a dozen of them that customers had brought, none have given any problems at all.

One of the biggest problems people have when connecting a router, is they leave telstras Modem IP address on the PC -- and it doesn't work.

The IP address has to be entered into the Router settings, then the router issues out its IP Address range to the Networked PC's, Laptops etc.

My Router has the range from 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254 so with the addition of switches It can have up to 253 PC's connected.