PDA

View Full Version : External HDD issues

nzhnp
21-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Hiya folks!

Hoping I can get a bit of guidance with a problem I'm having.

Recently I got a virus and after a few days I eventually got rid of it, I think. Nothing's shown up in the multitude of scans from various programs etc. It infected some registry items, etc etc.

However, during this process, my external hard drive stopped showing up as a drive in my computer. It was working fine before I unplugged it and moved into the lounge with my laptop (in the process virus scanning and fixing/removing problems etc), then when I came back to my bedroom and plugged it in, nothing.

It shows up as External HDD in Devices & Printers, but nothing further. No volume in Disk Management, nothing in My Computer. My Songbird still picks it up as a Western Digital External HDD but says there's no mass storage device available and to enable the USB option on the device... which I can't find.

The hard drive taps/clicks for a while before eventually stopping and the computer picking it up as a USB device. It's this bit that worries me the most, from what I hear this is a pretty bad sign.

Are the virus and problematic hard drive possibly related, or just poor timing? If I take it into a repair place to see if the data's retrievable, will that void my warranty, to take it back to where I bought it?

Running Windows 7 64 bit.

Thanks very much for your time, cheers in advance if you think you can help.

Snorkbox
21-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Can you remove the hard drive from the enclosure as it just may be the enclosure that is at fault. Is it a SATA or IDE drive?

jareemon
21-08-2010, 02:32 PM
To clarify, have you tried plugging it into another computer?

nzhnp
21-08-2010, 02:32 PM
Not entirely sure I can, without damaging either the enclosure or the drive (and voiding the warranty). It seems like it'll be difficult to open up. It's a WD Elements.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=762

@jareemon, Yeah I have, my flatmate's Vista. Same result there. Don't know anyone with an XP or Mac (I don't think so, anyway) to test on those. Work's computers are XP but the USB drives have been disabled.

jareemon
21-08-2010, 02:33 PM
Can you remove the hard drive from the enclosure as it just may be the enclosure that is at fault. Is it a SATA or IDE drive?
I've seen this quite often too

jareemon
21-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Not entirely sure I can, without damaging either the enclosure or the drive (and voiding the warranty). It seems like it'll be difficult to open up. It's a WD Elements.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=762

@jareemon, Yeah I have, my flatmate's Vista. Same result there. Don't know anyone with an XP or Mac (I don't think so, anyway) to test on those. Work's computers are XP but the USB drives have been disabled.

So its definitley the drive then.
i think with those ones you just pop the top panel off, you probably will scratch the case in the process though.
You will very likely void the warranty if you take the case off, but IMO youve got a good chance of fixing it yourself by replacing the case
EDIT: ofcourse, if it's still under warranty, send it back and theyll do it for you
EDIT EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZUMh_H3B_Y&feature=related

nzhnp
21-08-2010, 02:50 PM
So its definitley the drive then.
i think with those ones you just pop the top panel off, you probably will scratch the case in the process though.
You will very likely void the warranty if you take the case off, but IMO youve got a good chance of fixing it yourself by replacing the case
EDIT: ofcourse, if it's still under warranty, send it back and theyll do it for you
EDIT EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZUMh_H3B_Y&feature=related

Cool, thanks for that. Don't really want to send it back.

Guessing I'll need a USB/Sata cable now? On a laptop so can't really plug it right into the mobo.

Nomad
21-08-2010, 03:59 PM
you can get USB devices that plugs into a naked HD (cheapest) or you can get another enclosure or docks that you insert (slot down).

jareemon
21-08-2010, 04:13 PM
Cool, thanks for that. Don't really want to send it back.

Guessing I'll need a USB/Sata cable now? On a laptop so can't really plug it right into the mobo.
you just need a new enclosure, make sure its a 3.5" sata or sata2 depending on what your drive is. the new enclosure (the case) will include the usb cable.

nzhnp
21-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Doesn't look like that worked - went and bought a Dick Smith enclosure, getting the same problem. When it tries to install new hardware, it fails at the Disk Drive stage.

http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4c6f32030280a78e273fc0a87f3b06b2/Product/View/XH5280 is the enclosure I got

http://imgur.com/IK3Xr.jpg is the failure to install disk drive drivers.

wainuitech
21-08-2010, 05:37 PM
The hard drive taps/clicks for a while before eventually stopping

One of two things will have happened. Either the Enclosure is not providing enough power (damaged Circuits on the board) and the drive cant work correctly.
OR
The actual HDD has failed. Try connecting the HDD directly to a PC, not within an enclosure.

But since you have tried another enclosure, and get the same result, it does sound a lot like the HDD may have failed.

HDD's can and do fail at any time.

nzhnp
22-08-2010, 12:40 PM
One of two things will have happened. Either the Enclosure is not providing enough power (damaged Circuits on the board) and the drive cant work correctly.
OR
The actual HDD has failed. Try connecting the HDD directly to a PC, not within an enclosure.

But since you have tried another enclosure, and get the same result, it does sound a lot like the HDD may have failed.

HDD's can and do fail at any time.

Ah well, at least I have a couple of enclosures now. Might take it into a place and see if the data's recoverable but won't hold out much hope.

Thanks everyone for the help, much appreciated!

Snorkbox
22-08-2010, 12:54 PM
I would be carefull using the older enclosure. I had a HDD in an enclosure and the whole lot died and took the HDD with it. I put another HDD in the enclosure after connecting it via the motherboard IDE to ensure it worked. Inserted into enclosure and zapped another. It was no big deal as the HDD was an old 20 Gig effort.

nzhnp
22-08-2010, 01:43 PM
I would be carefull using the older enclosure. I had a HDD in an enclosure and the whole lot died and took the HDD with it. I put another HDD in the enclosure after connecting it via the motherboard IDE to ensure it worked. Inserted into enclosure and zapped another. It was no big deal as the HDD was an old 20 Gig effort.

Yeah, I meant the new one I bought - spare until I get another HDD. :)

Nomad
22-08-2010, 02:00 PM
DSE does returns

Was the HDD under warranty.

Always have backups, you may find the data recovery bill cost from $500+ to the thousands.

nzhnp
22-08-2010, 06:51 PM
DSE does returns

Was the HDD under warranty.

Always have backups, you may find the data recovery bill cost from $500+ to the thousands.

I'll probably keep the DSE case, I quite like it - unless they're unreliable etc?

The HDD was under warranty - only bought it a couple of months ago - but since I opened it up I probably voided that?

Wow, didn't realise it cost quite that much. Nothing of terrible importance was lost, it's mostly the irritation of time lost, etc. Looks like I'll have to get a backup too.