PDA

View Full Version : Problems after suspected power surge

Martw
20-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Hi, a couple of weeks ago the power flicked on and off in my house and my computer reset. I later noticed that my second hard drive was not showing up and have since discovered that it is no longer spinning. I have removed that hard drive but I am now having a few other problems. My dvd drive sometimes shows up and sometimes it doesn't. My graphics card started showing strange colours and lines on the screen so I removed it, the onboard graphics is currently working fine. I have previously had my graphics card replaced, with a similar problem of strange colours dots and lines. Also my computer hangs quite regularly, followed by a single long beep for a few seconds before returning to normality.

I would imagine that it is likely that these problems do relate to the suspected power surge but I am unsure as to what component/components are most likely to be at fault here. Hopefully the problem would be something central like the motherboard, Id rather replace it that have to replace everything else. Im not sure how to determine exactly what parts are faulty though.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

bob_doe_nz
20-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Power supply?

Snorkbox
20-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Do you have household insurance?

fred_fish
20-08-2010, 07:50 PM
Im not sure how to determine exactly what parts are faulty though
Unfortunately the only way to determine this is to systematically replace components with known good ones and/or test suspect components in a known good system.
If the problems are intermittent. this makes it much more difficult.

wainuitech
20-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Unfortunately the only way to determine this is to systematically replace components with known good ones and/or test suspect components in a known good system.
If the problems are intermittent. this makes it much more difficult. That sums it up perfectly.

Also my computer hangs quite regularly, followed by a single long beep for a few seconds before returning to normality Possible graphic problem, cant find the Card. That could be a fault in the card, or the connection on the Motherboard (PCI-E or AGP slot - which ever you have).

House hold insurance does cover power surges. Had to do several claims (reports) for insurance companies stating that was the cause + the cost to repair.

PS: Welcome to PF1 :)

feersumendjinn
20-08-2010, 08:42 PM
First give it a memory test with this
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
or this
http://www.memtest.org/
Ram probs can cause freezing/hanging, also look for bad capacitors on the motherboard, video card and in PSU.
Flat CMOS battery may be causing intermittent storage device non-detection.
If the machine is fairly old, may have corroded connectors and slots, try taking ram, cards and plugs out and refitting.
Freezing may also be caused by overheating (cleaned it out?), or corrupted file system/OS on hard drive, etc :).
There you have a few places to start looking, trouble is your machine seems to have several problems, hard to point to one thing, in agreement with Fred Fish.

Martw
20-08-2010, 11:14 PM
Thanks everyone, ill try the different suggestions over the next few days and will let you know how it goes.

feersumendjinn: My computer is not too old, only about a year.

Martw
03-09-2010, 11:38 AM
It seems that all problems seem to have resolved themselves somehow. Apart from the broken hard drive.

KarameaDave
03-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Magic?

Thebananamonkey
03-09-2010, 01:49 PM
Magic?

Is it an Apple?

I've heard ALL of their products are magical.

KarameaDave
03-09-2010, 02:06 PM
LoL